Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helicopter pilots fly mode

Author of the Thread
    Nope.
    Can't get it working.

I have about the same setup as you have.
    Can not get the triggers and wps on the exact same spot

Either I have the helicopter in careless all the way and the door gunners never return fire, not that this will help tho' see comment about WP2

Or the pilot makes that UH60 a plough if WP2 is set to "COMBAT"
    The odd occasion when the pilot didn't make that UH60 into a tool of agriculture the door gunners still wouldn't fire.

If WP3 is set to "COMBAT" the pilot is "sniped out" at WP2.

I also experimented with the flyInHeight but it seems the farmer inside that pilot is still there, or it is set too high and the Shilka downs the UH60 before it even hits the beach.

Could you please PM me so I can send you my email address so you can send me your sample mission?

[edit]
    Ok, so I piloted the UH60 and I can't get my door gunners to fire, I can not possibly assign targets for them one by one, "Engage at will" doesn't seem to work.
    Only time when they fire is if I fly over the enemy trying to crush them like bugs...

Talking about bugs, is this a bug in Arma?
    I'm pretty sure they assigned their own targets a while back(1.08)

[edit2]
    Ok, ranges ~100 meters and the MG opens up.
    Not even the Cobra gunner will engage "soft targets" in less than 100 meters with the MG.
    Good game!
    Gunners wont engage

Getting upset with this now.
    Tired of babysitting the AI.

Just LAWL!
    Do mind that the pilot in that UH60 is set to mind his own business, no flyInHeight or scripted events, just a simple "Transport unload" wp.

Was that helicopter picture taken in the one that I sent you? I never had that happen. I did however have it flip (a lot) as it went up that small hill from the ocean to the LZ. But I did have flyinheight set too low so that was my fault.

Only other thing I could think of to try is to force it to come in at a certain angle and script its altitude down in .25 or .5 meter increments to make it look like its naturally landing. I don't think my mission looked to bad but I would like it to be easier and nicer looking.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by (Jakerod @ Nov. 09 2008,00:57)
    Was that helicopter picture taken in the one that I sent you?
    No no. it wasn't
    As I mentioned I just checked what would happen if I let the pilot mind his own business.

In yours the pilot gets killed and the door gunners won't engage tho'
    Same as they do in "my" version.

Quote Originally Posted by (The_Taurus @ Nov. 08 2008,22:04)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Jakerod @ Nov. 09 2008,00:57)
    Was that helicopter picture taken in the one that I sent you?
    No no. it wasn't
    As I mentioned I just checked what would happen if I let the pilot mind his own business.

In yours the pilot gets killed and the door gunners won't engage tho'
    Same as they do in "my" version.
    Thats really weird because whenever they detected someone on mine they fired. I originally had them off to the east of the LZ and that guy fired then I tried west and that one fired.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by (Jakerod @ Nov. 09 2008,05:08)
    Thats really weird because whenever they detected someone on mine they fired. I originally had them off to the east of the LZ and that guy ***fired then I tried west and that one fired.
    Hmm odd!
    However I can't have the pilot on carless and I don't like the idea of scripting the "turn light" off, I think it'll flicker on night missions.
    Not that the AI cares about light sources or areas lit up, but it'll look strange.

but, unfortunately I had to give this idea with "flyInHeight" up as on Sharani there's trees.
    AI doesn't see trees nor bushes as we've learnt on the "hide and seek" missions vs AI
    The pilot and chops them down by crashing into them.

The night missions are also a joke with the AI engaging targets they could not possibly know where they are, but that's a completely different subject.

When I get completely bored some day I'll see if the AI can "check" if a tree is nearby and increase altitude accordingly.
    I know how to check nearest objects, but I dunno if trees are counted like a building or object and this command has to have a position x meters in front of the helicopter which it is facing.

[edit]
    ther's a command forceSpeed but that doesn't work
    If it would we could be saved from the pilot to increasing speed when he enters the "ZOMG COMBATZZZZ"-frenzy.

I thank you for your help Jakerod, and I do hope your mission works with helicopter pilots as you want to.

Angry

so, there is no way to get the helo to just bank at the waypoints instead of stopping and then turnig ? ? ? that is so annoying that they made it like that... without using any scripts or command lines... annoying as hell!!!
    | Custom MSI GT70 ONE-276US | Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge 3940XM (3.2-3.9 GHz Turbo) | nVidia GTX 680M 4GB DDR5 | 16 GB DDR3-1600MHz | 128GB SSD x 2 (Super RAID) | 750GB HDD 7200RPM | IC Diamond Themal Compound Repaste CPU + GPU | Bigfoot Networks Killer™ E2200 High Performance LAN Killer | Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual Band) | Custom Copper Cooling Heatsink System |

If I see you on DayZ, I will Kill you. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find out if you are friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by HeAvY TrAnCe View Post
    so, there is no way to get the helo to just bank at the waypoints instead of stopping and then turnig ? ? ? that is so annoying that they made it like that... without using any scripts or command lines... annoying as hell!!!
    I realize that this is an incredibly old thread but I am referencing this in a post in the ArmA II section and so I wanted to answer this question in case someone comes across it later.

In order to do this group the helicopter with the waypoints to a trigger (you'll have to test to see how big, at least 100 though) that is around the waypoint you want it to turn on. Set the trigger to switch and sync it to the trigger you want it to turn at. This will maintain the helicopters speed but it will turn towards the next waypoint in the line in a more fluid manner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12