Sign in to follow this  
BrainCluster

Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine

After updating the firmware and software for my Matrox Triplehead (digital) device I'm unable to start the game (v1.14).

I've updated the Triplehead firmware and software to support my new 3x LG 22" (L227WTG) monitors for 5040x1050 resolutions, but when I tried to start the game I get an error, "Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine." I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it but the same problem occurs. Also I have tried different resolutions and the same error occurs. Furthermore, I have tried updating the video drivers but its same problem.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do? Is there anyone else able to run the game with a Triplehead 5040x1040 resolution?

Do other (old-ish) games work?

Or maybe update direct X?

Step down your resolution. DX9 is hard-limited to maximum dimensions of 4096x4096. Yes you can go higher on your desktop, but in full-screen, those be the limits.

DX9 is hard-limited to maximum dimensions of 4096x4096.

It is not a limitation, it is a minimum requirement I believe... For DX10 compatible hardware today you can go up to 8192x8192 even in Direct3D 8.

have you tried reversing the firmware update? does ArmA work after that?

If you want to persist with your firmware upgrade, then perhaps download and install the MS DirectX SDK and run ArmA using the PIX utility. This might get you the DirectX api call that ArmA is failing on during it's initialization phase.

From there you may be able to deduce what aspect of the Matrox software/firmware that is behaving differently from what ArmA is expecting.

Also, with the SDK installed you could run DXCaps utility to see what capabilities your Graphics Card has with respect to texture height & width.

If it's a resonably newish card it should be capable of displaying at least 32,768 wide x 4096 high.

If this all sounds a bit beyond your comfortable zone then I'd suggest you just try the 'reverse-the-upgrade' approach - at least it was working huh?! huh.gif

good luck.

All of my other current games are working without a problem: Team Fortress 2, Brothers in Arms Hells Highway, Age of Conan, FarCry 2, and Sins of a Solar Empire.  However my favorite game of course is ARMA (I've been a fan since OFP), and I'm a bit bummed because it's not working.

I have the latest Directx driver.  I'm running 2x nvidia 8800 gtx cards in sli mode, and my CPU is overclocked from 2.4 to 3.3 with very adequate cooling hardware.

I really appreciate your replies and I’ll try your suggestions. I will update thread if it works or not.  If anyone else have any suggestions please let me know.

Maybe take a look at the arma.rpt (in your user homedir\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA), it may have a more descriptive error message.

The arma.rpt file lists the first entry about 21x and the second entry only once.

=====================================================================

== D:\Program files\Atari\ArmA\arma.exe

Exe version: Sat Oct 18 04:33:43 2008

build 1.14.5256

Item STR_03s01 listed twice

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesBasic/DefaultDie/

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/Crew/

ErrorMessage: Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine

== D:\PROGRA~1\Atari\ArmA\arma.exe

Exe version: Sat Oct 18 04:33:43 2008

build 1.14.5256

File read error: dta\product.bin,ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER

Error 57 reading file 'dta\product.bin'

ErrorMessage: The parameter is incorrect.

Error 57 reading file 'dta\product.bin'

SmallMemAlloc not free when destructed - SmallMemAlloc::ReleaseAll skipped.

Elem. size 8

Elem. size 16

Elem. size 20

Elem. size 28

Elem. size 44

Elem. size 52

Download a copy of my arma.rpt file here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/4172204/83bcc7d/arma.html