Sign in to follow this  
allthumbs

new graphics card on old pc

My vanilla 6800 128 mb card finally died. She was a good old girl, but she would not run Arma for shit. I managed to find a Radeon hd 2600 Pro 512 mb AGP card cheap, so my old pc still lives! On AGP!!  Any one have any idea how Arma would run on this system before I re buy it? Thanks!

Pent 4  3.0 w/ ht

2 Gig ram

Running an ATI 2600 512mb Pci-E here

P4 2.8 ghz

1 Gb ram

Most settings on medium

1200 View Distance

It gets me by smile_o.gif

The 2600 is running way better than the 6800 did. Or it may be the 1.14 patch has improved things, too. I hadn't tried that with the 6800. Seems good now, in any case.

Btw, I don't see my card in the Tom's Hardware list that was posted. It's a 2600 Pro, but is 512 mb, not 256 mb. That should give a little more stuff, wouldn't it?

The HD2600 would be slightly faster than a 6800, but don't expect to get blown away by it. As was pointed out, a 3850 would be the best option here, but then one must question the point of sinking money into an AGP card when you will probably have to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM before you need to upgrade the HD2600

There are alot of 6800 variations. Mine was a 128 mb vanilla no frills card. Low end of the 6800 totem pole. It played almost every game I had well, but I play alot of older games. The card I have now, was bought from Best Buy out of desperation. Either get a new pc, which I'm not ready for, or get a quick replacement card. I'm a pc junkie, so I didn't want to leave with nothing. As I said, my old card died hard - I could not use my pc at all. The card performs better than the 6800 did on this game. It cost me $100, so it was a clearly better choice for me.