Sign in to follow this  
popcorn

2 questions about modeling softwares

1. I want to try modeling, but i cant open up the .p3d files in 3d studio max. I can open them in o2, but i dont know how to start "drawing" in O2, is that even possible? I know how to copy stuff from models in to other models, but not how to start drawing up models.

So I have 3d studio max now...

2. How can I open .p3d files in 3d studio max?

To open O2 model in 3ds Max you need the old version of ArmA O2 (link here, thanks to MehMan). There you can export the .p3d to .3ds file and then import it to 3ds Max.

Not sure what exactly you mean by "drawing" but yes, you can model in O2, its not just a converter. smile_o.gif

I suggest you to search some tutorials (most are for OFP O2 but its almost the same anyway). Basically you just place vertexes using Insert key and connect them (must be 3 or 4 vertexes) by pressing F6 and creating a new face. The rest you either find in tutorials or try yourself (the best way IMO wink_o.gif ).

Make sure to set up the Buldozer viewer to see, what youre actually creating.

Well there is an extrude function in the Old, new O2 (O2PE RC1). I use this extensively in my modeling.

You can use the insert key to create a vertex. Select three or four vertex points, and you can hit F6 to create a face. Using those, you can draw a model from scratch, but it takes a long time. I'm learning 3dsmax so that I can do most of the work there, and just set the model up for Arma in O2.

Quote[/b] ]

Well there is an extrude function in the Old, new O2 (O2PE RC1). I use this extensively in my modeling.

I don't understand why you need to use an older RC version of O2 to use the extrude function, it is present also in the newest version.

Planck

Is there a place to download the Arma models in 3ds format? I don't want to go through uninstalling O2, installing an old version, converting everything, and reinstalling the new version, if I don't have to. It would help me out a lot I think, in editing in 3d studio max if I could learn from the Arma models in that program. Or, do you have them laying around your hard drive, Scubaman, and might you be willing to email them?

Is there a place to download the Arma models in 3ds format? I don't want to go through uninstalling O2, installing an old version, converting everything, and reinstalling the new version, if I don't have to. It would help me out a lot I think, in editing in 3d studio max if I could learn from the Arma models in that program. Or, do you have them laying around your hard drive, Scubaman, and might you be willing to email them?

You don't have to reinstall the old o2, just download and run the .exe Mehman posted, I'm not too sure about the legality of exporting those models though.. but it's great for your own content.

Quote[/b] ]

1. I want to try modeling

Me too. wink_o.gif

I find using O2 verry hard,, i been trying out several trail 3d apps. and i'll have to say as a noob.

O2 is the worst modelling app i tried.

but that is most likely related to my noob factor rofl.gif

I think guides and examples are needed, i mean alot more of them are needed..

i found a app called cinema 4d demo with 42 days save. but this software is friking expencive to buy. this app is also used in movie making, and has been in many big movies.

i have a project in this app.. Skjold i call it.

its the Norvegian Knm Skjold class boat. "stealt boat"

i have almost done all the faces or whatever its called.

soon ready for texturing,

on youtube there is tonz of videos about this app.

i like this fast one tounge2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwnHLGJXzt8

But none for Oxygen2..  "sucks" sad_o.gif

gnat, eric and the other top arma modellers should make some videos for the comunity whistle.gif

Problem with making tutorial is that it takes quite a bit of time, which most people don't seem to have. Basicly with O2 most effective way to work (for me at least) is by using seperate points and face them up, instead of using ready shapes (obiviously cylinder and sphere comes of good use often).

Here is very very basic tutorial that I made in haste somewhen earlier, of course you can continue this futher and futher. Tutorial is very specific type and might give some insight on O2 and its capabilities, but in very limited way.

Quote[/b] ]Ok here is basicly how to make a flap (for instance pistol holster) in Oxygen2.

First start up your Oxygen in 4 view (options), this way you can see all important dimensions at once without having to change it all the time. Very important in modelling.

I attached url for picture after every part, you can check them to get guidance to my words smile_o.gif

1. Make one point and copy paste it, move it in front view to right or left by having X axel (you can see XY, XZ, YZ, X, Y, Z buttons up in panel) locked. This way it stays in same level with other point and makes easy to make straight line.

Copied point and manipulating it in X-axel

2. Make copy of those two points move them in left view bit up and right, this you should do in XY-axel which is automaticly in use.

Moving copied points in Left view

3. Select all points and press F6 now this generates a face.

Making a face

4. Now there are those blue arrows pointing in some direction, these tells in which direction face is pointing at, now with W you can chance that direction, select a face and hit if needed. Paste again you get new points, repeat part 2 and select points according picture and hit F6 again.

Blue arrows and continuing face to same direction

5. Paste again and move those points generated from it, then repeat it until you're satisfied in smoothness , remember you can still move points later to make it smoother. Then continue making faces on them by always going one foward from previous one.

Making multiple points and connecting them

6. Now when checking in buldozer you should see what my picture shows, all faces are in right direction and forming nice roundy half-cylinder.

Buldozer image

7. Now select all those points and copy paste them (don't loose them or you can't have them back since they're on exactly same spot as original ones are).

Then you should scale them down a notch, in picture you can see how and by clicking preview you see how it would effect.

Scaling copied points/faces

8. Now these copied points already have faces attached on them since you copied them from one that had faces. Now it looks to be in wrong place, select those points and move them to right position in Left view.

Moving copied faces

9. Alas they're pointing to wrong direction, you need to flip them, so hit W to turn them around. When you select all points now those arrows should point on other directions from each others. Nothing to center, but outwards.

Flipping/Mirroring faces

10. Now when you look in Buldozer there is two face groups that are facing in different directions, but there is a gap between them. You need to select faces so that you have two from upper group and same ones in lower group and they have to be next each others. Then make a face and move foward in that line like in earlier parts, then do same in other side too (and in the ends too if you have reached to point of closing it).

Filling holes

11. When this is done it should look like this in buldozer.

buldozer image 2

Now that concludes this short tutorial, I hope it gives an idea how to do it.

It seemed a pretty straightforward thing importing 3ds files into O2. I was able to download 3ds Max today and was toying around with some ship models. I'll have to do a bit more research to figure out what else to do, but I have  a basic patrol craft as well as a battleship model.

NEW Downloaded Blender and am loving it! I can make decent 3d models, but suck when it comes to Geo LODS and texturing. Maybe I can make the models and someone can texture??