Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

ArmA fixed wing "plane" class and turrets...

Back to the topic at hand...

I tried the proxy route, but gave up on that due to desyncing as mentioned.

I went for a different route with my turret design.  Because you can create a turret on a plane and look around fine (just when you fire the projectile heads straight out, I simply took the directions that the player was looking in the turret and took over the delivery of the ammunition via script completely.  I added an eventhandler to catch the projectile and send it in the new direction.  I got the direction the player was facing by several means and am currently deciding which is the best.

The issue I was having was that in multiplayer under extreme load the ammunition was being very unpredictable.  Also, the viewdistance was causing me issues where the server was set to 1000 by default (although this was largely with my targeting camera).

Edit: No troll food stored on premises

Too bad that humans misunderstand 80% of communication.

For written its even more.

Anyway the guy is/was called mikefictiti0us.

You can search the forum for his stuff.

Unfortunately he deleted now all his videos on YT, so I guess

he left the scene.

Going back into my cave.  goodnight.gif

I tried the proxy route, but gave up on that due to desyncing as mentioned.

Yeah I tried that route a couple days back and ended up with the same results. Gun fired out the front of the aircraft no matter where I looked with the turret.

Another issue that cropped up was since the turrets were configured on a "plane" class, now all others expect it and gain error from it if it's not there. For example turret errors appear when attempting to load a AV8B, or any other fixed winged aircraft. But when I'm working with the model in question...no error.

lol

..... thinking aloud. How about a very simple "helicopter" or similar p3d with gun memory points, loaded into a (extra) cargo or gunner proxy in the plane that animated as a turret (with controllerable view by the player as you have already proved).

Now force-fire the separate "proxy" gun with real ammo using the planes fired EH with fake ammo.

As the proxy gun will follow your view / your turret, the ammo will go in the right direction.

.... maybe.

Gnat @ Sep. 24 2008,02:11)]

lol

..... thinking aloud. How about a very simple "helicopter" or similar p3d with gun memory points, loaded into a (extra) cargo or gunner proxy in the plane that animated as a turret (with controllerable view by the player as you have already proved).

Now force-fire the separate "proxy" gun with real ammo using the planes fired EH with fake ammo.

As the proxy gun will follow your view / your turret, the ammo will go in the right direction.

.... maybe.

I tried to place a proxy for a tank in the darn thing. I created just the crew positions and turrets for them as a separate model, But my knowledge of how to make that work and take it further halted me from continuing at that point.

Is it possible to set up a turret on a fixed wing this way?

1. Without creating a turret add optic models and proxy them to different gunner positions within the aircraft.

2. Add a additional model to the config that contains another class such as one that contains turrets, like a truck or tank, maybe a chopper.

Quote[/b] ]..... thinking aloud. How about a very simple "helicopter" or similar p3d with gun memory points, loaded into a (extra) cargo or gunner proxy in the plane that animated as a turret (with controllerable view by the player as you have already proved).

and is this possible to place non-human/cargo objects as cargo ? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to set up a turret on a fixed wing this way?

1.  Without creating a turret add optic models and proxy them to different gunner positions within the aircraft.

2.  Add a additional model to the config that contains another class such as one that contains turrets, like a truck or tank, maybe a chopper.

ofp way. it's been done in ofp, but there're los of disadvantages even with a new arma scripting commands

and is this possible to place non-human/cargo objects as cargo ? wink_o.gif

I think the answer is yes, because can't you add ammo crates to the back of trucks and add chairs and tables to buildings ?

Thats done with proxys.

Of course the classes allowed may dramaticly limit things.