Sign in to follow this  
blackheart_six

Platforms?

Looking at the new website I noticed this.......

"Platform:

PC and Next Gen Console (TBD)

Expected release date:

Q1 2009"

Interesting to see TBD for Next Gen Console. This looks like C.Y.A. and we'll only see a wii version and not a Playstation 3 version. Which I hope is not the case. If the devs are having trouble developing for PS3, call your brothers up at insomniac games, they are the gold standard for PS3 games now.

BTW..

I am joking about the wii version. I really mean xbox.

firefoxlover.gif

A sudden rush of doubt came down on me like a lightening strike from a clear sky... With the trend going on and all, will arma2 support win2k?

Good question on Windows 2000 compatibility...

If the engine is being made to run on Xbox as well now, then this will have a dependency on some DirectX libraries --- we had those problems with these before with Win2K (DirectInput thingy DLL) if you remember.

If this linking to those DLLs is made mandatory then we might be facing the prospect of having to upgrade to XP unless a replacer DLL could be used to keep it working under Win2K again..

(My main box here is now XP64, but the other rig is still Win2K...)

If the 'hack' DLL method would indeed still work then no problem, but better not to be stuck with it unless necessary.

Looking at the new website I noticed this.......

"Platform:

PC and Next Gen Console (TBD)

Expected release date:

Q1 2009"

Interesting to see TBD for Next Gen Console. This looks like C.Y.A. and we'll only see a wii version and not a Playstation 3 version. Which I hope is not the case. If the devs are having trouble developing for PS3, call your brothers up at insomniac games, they are the gold standard for PS3 games now.

BTW..

I am joking about the wii version. I really mean xbox.

firefoxlover.gif

lol @ Insomniac. Seriously... you really think Arma 2's budget it that big have everything in it?

I doubt. I highly doubt.

WarWolf @ Sep. 08 2008,13:57)]Good question on Windows 2000 compatibility...

If the engine is being made to run on Xbox as well now, then this will have a dependency on some DirectX libraries --- we had those problems with these before with Win2K (DirectInput thingy DLL) if you remember.

If this linking to those DLLs is made mandatory then we might be facing the prospect of having to upgrade to XP unless a replacer DLL could be used to keep it working under Win2K again..

(My main box here is now XP64, but the other rig is still Win2K...)

If the 'hack' DLL method would indeed still work then no problem, but better not to be stuck with it unless necessary.

Many games, and ALL of EA's recent games pretty much refuse to install on 2k now so I'm a little worried...

XInput and XACT... these seem to be the potential trouble makers.

However, as far as I can tell that is, it's not hard to build an application to exclude what need not be #included... #ifdef WIN2K. /me pokes BI.. you guys are more cool than EA right?