Sign in to follow this  
Yeb

Bis and community addons

The success of ArmA and previously OFP has been made around a strong community that provides tons of high quality addons and kept alive OFP through the years.

I have known ofp at the end of its life, so i did not imply in this community, but I truely get involved in this community since the release of arma by coming daily on this board.

But the question which is haunting my mind is the relation between BIS developper and addon makers.

I would like to know if BIS (though they are busy) tries out addon/mod made by the community, what is their opinion and point of view about it.

I know the position of BIS is hard as this is not in their interest to tell which addon rocks or sucks and they have not the time to do so anyway.

But I'm just interested in BIS' point of view on addons, by which one they were impressed by the quality, the novelty, etc. I'm especially thinking about NWD's FCS, but of course, many other top quality addons.

If someone can point out an interview, or an article about BIS and addon making would be appreciate.

Im pretty sure they mentioned their addon likins somwhere in an interview but cant point to which one.

However i think most of them are busy enough with the game and only play it in very limited doses privatly and if they do then i guess mostly in vanilla shape.

Would be nice though if anyone from the Team notices this thread and tells us about his likings and the things that impressed him.

I think one of the things that may have been noticed by BIS was surely DXDLL for OFP back then.

Im not sure but i think they even mentioned that in a interview.

Maybe it was even in the Sahrani Radio one with Suma.... not sure.

I think they will play with Missions/Addons, there not little work aholic trols who get no free time smile_o.gif

Im sure i read something somewhere about them enjoying people work. Maybe Kegetys Stuff.

Indeed, there was community blog entry about Kegety: There.

I quote:

Quote[/b] ]Click the image to view the original trailer released by Kegetys that caused such a buzz within the community (and BIS headquarters! )

Yes we check out community addons/mods/missions/campaigns, not as much as we'd like to of course but then sadly we're not involved with it all purely for pleasure and kicks wink_o.gif

Yes we check out community addons/mods/missions/campaigns, not as much as we'd like to of course but then sadly we're not involved with it all purely for pleasure and kicks wink_o.gif

My heart bleeds purple p!ss for you dude!

Anything released for ArmA that is on Placebos must have list?

SLX maybe?

CWR demo offcourse.

Or is anythign know about other addons that are liked by some of the dev crew?

Things thay may even have inspired ArmA2?

My heart bleeds purple p!ss for you dude!

Thank you I appreciate that kind sentiment wink_o.gif

Anything released for ArmA that is on Placebos must have list?

SLX maybe?

CWR demo offcourse.

Or is anythign know about other addons that are liked by some of the dev crew?

Things thay may even have inspired ArmA2?

I don't really have any personal favourites right now, anything that gets released that makes the community happy makes me happy smile_o.gif

I don't really have any personal favourites right now, anything that gets released that makes the community happy makes me happy smile_o.gif

hehehe ... forever the diplomat eh Placebo wink_o.gif

I think the new warfare mod/map was made together by BIS and an addon/map maker from the community.

Was it not a joint venture with the maker of mfcti?

Correct me if im wrong, but that was the impression i got.

And i applaud every one who made these things come true, BIS and community. notworthy.gif

Yes, I believe it was.

And, well they would have been bloody stupid to ignore the HUGE "game type" following since OFP.

MFCTI, crCTI, DVDCTI ZuesCTI ... etc etc

In fact I would go as far as saying they stuffed up and missed the opportunity for the release of ArmA.

I'd suggest it would have been a much bigger hit release if it had included Warefare from the start.

... but then again JIP problems would have screwed us all wink_o.gif

So maybe they should consider a new WareFare, a new Evo and a new Dynamic Campaign for ArmA2 release hint hint

Gnat @ June 20 2008,18:44)]

hehehe ... forever the diplomat eh Placebo  wink_o.gif

Of course wink_o.gif

I think the new warfare mod/map was made together by BIS and an addon/map maker from the community.

Was it not a joint venture with the maker of mfcti?

Correct me if im wrong, but that was the impression i got.

And i applaud every one who made these things come true, BIS and community.   notworthy.gif

Yep it was made in conjunction with Mike Melvin smile_o.gif

Thanks for the answer Placebo. It would have been interesting to see the must-have list of BIS developers, but i'm pretty sure it's going to be a hard way to get this  tounge2.gif. Anyway, thanks again.

Just look at VBS2 ,all the concepts and ideas that BIS loves are placed in there by BIA wink_o.gif but even better they are hardcoded to engine and made very efficient... if they do same for arma2 we are in for a real good game

What ideas and addons? Do you really think BIA is some evil corp that uses community addons in their own products? Do you know that 1/2 of the addons made in this community are laughable in most other communities. The quality of both art and functionality are so below what is seen elsewhere that it doesn't make it worth for BIA to take anything from anywhere. In any case, the ammount of released stuff that is of sufficient quality to be of any use for any of BIA's customers is so low that it's simply not worth taking anything. Things that are being done or have been done milspec have been requested by the customers before we even saw anything in the community by community members. BIA is a professional team and as such they won't start stealing anything to boost their sales, armies are armies and don't care much for community addons as what they need they already have done in quality that surpasses most of the community, by BIA. Other functionalities such as FLIR have also been requested by the customers and I believe Dsylexci mentioned that the screenshots make it look more glorious than it actually is.

So in conclusion, BIA and it's customers have no need to use community addons. The compatibility of ArmA addons with VBS2 is a consequence of using the same engine.

IF anything I would be worried that somebody from the VBS2 community might claim that they released something, aka stole something, but I highly doubt that a person who forks out 1500$ for a training tool would be so childish and then again, he would be releasing it to like 20 people, who probably also track ArmA's addons and he would get caught instantly.

i think your looking for agrument that is not in my post . mine is a positive statement , (Meaning its good that GAIA , Mike Melvin, PUKF and many more people have had there ideas and concepts used and hardcoded into VBS2 and even been employed too) and i think if same is done for Arma2 then we will have a good game . but we need to retain the good texures in arma of course smile_o.gif

Ah, apologies in that case, I thought you were thinking of it in a negative sense.