Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrug

Dynamic Sound AI - RC 1.0

I slightly edited the script that commands the shouting of such words (reloading, medic) because I was annoyed of their frequency. Much better now smile_o.gif

I can show how to if you want to, I remember that it's pretty simple. Maybe WolfRug could also hotfix this if enough of us find it annoying ?

Malick

Ooh, actual useful feedback biggrin_o.gif Keep it coming. I'll gladly fix stuff, once I know it's there. I use the addon myself all the time, but yeah. I'm so used to my own bugs I barely even register them :P

Bleeding: shouting "I'm bleeding!" has a certain threshold, which isn't always too high. However if they've been fully healed they should shut up. If you can figure out in what situation it is that they persist, that might help smile_o.gif I.e., have they moved groups a lot, might they still be wounded, are you using some kind of mods, etc.

Reloading: Ah! This is an annoying bug I haven't been able to track down. Basically, the "reloading" shout should only come when the unit's "needreload" variable is 0.99 or higher, if I remember correctly - i.e., the shout should only happen when the game actually believes he needs to reload! HowEVER, I've noticed that the AI rarely reload their grenade launchers right after shooting, for some reason - so they shoot, shout "reloading!" without actually reloading, and then they might do that for a while as long as they have the appropriate muzzle selected. sad_o.gif Which is a little ridiculous, since one would imagine they'd reload if they needed to.

Anyway, if you can figure out in which situation exactly it happens, I might be able to fix it too smile_o.gif It is annoying!

"medic2" : I...don't think I use any sound file named that. Next time it happens, take a screenshot of it and I'll try to track it down!

Voice proximity: the Arab voices are sort of loud when compared to the others, making it not-always easy to figure out where they come from. Might require some more tweaking. If you want to do it yourself, feel free (will break the signature though, mind) : if you open up the config.cpp of the arab-voice pbo, you'll find at the top (if I remember correctly) some pre-defined sound dBs. Lower them until you reach a level you're more comfortable with!

Problem with the sound occlusion in ArmA is of course that stuff like bushes and trees are as good at muffling sounds as hills, so..it's really a matter of preference.

Frequence of certain shouts: You can globally edit the frequence of most sounds by editing the RUG_DSAI_CycleTime variable in your missions (or, if you like Malick want to open up the pbos, by editing the default value listed in the config.cpp). Of course the individual sounds can be edited too by just finding the appropriate scripts in the RUG_DSAI core pbo and changing the sleep values. Once again, breaking the signature of course. smile_o.gif

But yes: if you find certain things annoying or in need of change, just poke me a bit and I'll see about it. Especially if it can all be edited in the core scripts pbo, since that will minimize the download size of the update biggrin_o.gif

Thank you for your kind comments!

Regards,

Wolfrug

With all the WW2 mods coming out soon I wonder: Are you going to release French and German voice packs?

Sorry for the late reply! Must've slipped my mind.

Anyone can create their own voicepacks, as described in the wiki-page. So if the creators of these mods want to integrate DSAI into their addon, creating a voicepack and telling their addon to use it would be a piece of cake. smile_o.gif

As to creating just-because, well. Once again, if someone feels the need for a WW2 german/american/british/french voicepack, it's just a matter of compiling one! However, I might get inspired (perhaps in lieu of other bugfixing!wink_o.gif to compile at least a German WW2 one, maybe a Russian one as well. Don't know where I'd find French sounds though, so someone'd have to help me with that smile_o.gif

No promises though.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Would it be possible to have two different soundsets defined within one side? (By editing unit configs maybe? I'd like the SLA to use the Spanish voices, but I'd like the Russian Federation units to speak, well, Russian)

And is there any chance of an "Official" UK/British soundset if that is possible? (Preparing for the PUKF release in the very distant future)

@Ravenholme

Yes, it's possible. Either you can do it in-mission, as explained once again in the WIKI page, or you can edit the unit addons-pbos to have the appropriate config entry needed for DSAI to recognize that this unit wants a different kind of sound.

However, RHS's excellent Russians will never speak without the help of additional scripting, since they're not XEH compatible - their own eventhandlers override DSAI's (or XEH's), rendering them mute. The only way to fix this is to ask the RHS dudes to release a XEH-compatible pack, or for you yourself to edit the .pbos to work with XEH - obviously breaking signatures if you do so!

And yes, a dedicated British voicepack is perfectly feasible, except I'm not entirely sure where to get voices like that. If anyone has any good sources, do tell, but yes...PUKF might want to consider compiling the voicepack themselves too smile_o.gif That's why DSAI is so easily editable and modular, so that anyone who wants to can add their own voices to their own addons. All YOU need to do, as addon-consumers, is to ask the makers nicely if they care to include a voicepack as well smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

It is signed. Key available on OFPEC, or with download. smile_o.gif Check BIKI for additional options available to server admins (using Doolittle's utilility for instance).

Of course, as mentioned, if people open up the addon and change stuff around, it'll break the key, but that should be obvious!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Hey Wolfrug,

sorry for posting in the wrong thread. This is what you get with outdated forum software: the old thread was the first hit the search function displayed.

As it turns out, RC 1.0 is the version I was already using, so my question pertains to the most recent build as well. I spent the entire afternoon sifting through the scripts in your pbo's, while all I had to do was look at the biki, apparently. Doh! banghead.gif

If I understand things correctly, changing the values of the GENERAL_SPEECH_SOUND_LEVELs should solve my issue, right? On another note; I assume that the muffling of the speech sounds over certain distance is handled by the ArmA engine, not some variable in your addon? I guess lowering the sound levels and shortening the critical distance are the only option...

Ah, all right then! Yes - that's why I guess the other thread should be locked. Or edited. Hmm!

And yes: those are the things you need to change indeed! By lowering them you can lower the distance at which the voices are heard. People have in particular been complaining about the Arab voices I believe, but yes...the problem is that the sound occlusion (which is handled by ArmA) is a little sketchy - bushes and trees can block sound as well as hills and buildings generally. Also there's no echo or similar effect to hearing sounds from afar, and since most of the sounds are designed to be heard from quite close, they might sometimes confuse the human ear a little bit. smile_o.gif

Just lower the numbers and you should be fine. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Hey Wolfrug,

I lowered the volume levels and everything works like a charm now! In fact, the missions are even more atmospheric now, as it's harder to distinguish speech from environmental sounds. Was that a cough? Do I hear someone humming "Kalinka"? Or is that just my heart beating?

Marvellous stuff biggrin_o.gif

hey Wolfrug smile_o.gif

great addition indeed. thumbs-up.gif

Today I had this error popping up. Very strange. Never had it before.

Quote[/b] ]Warning Message: Script RUG_DSAI\RUG_DSAI\RUG_DSAI\RUG_DSAI\DSAI_Misc.sqf not found

Weird.

First of all, that's way too many folders. RUG_DSAI\RUG_DSAI is where all the scripts are (the first RUG_DSAI being the .pbo name). However in v.1.0 the core RUG_DSAI does not contain the DSAI_Misc.sqf script - those scripts (which contain sound lists for stuff like reloading, formation leaders and such) are local to each language iteration (in which case the path would be RUG_DSAIENG\RUG_DSAI for the English language pack).

So. In short. I dunno. crazy_o.gif Did you play a mission that might have an old version of the scripts maybe? Don't know what kind of errors might pop up then.

Regards,

Wolfrug

I'm posting this in two threads, as this pertains to the interaction between two addons.

I have created a mission where blufor units (placed in editor) assault a town swarming with insurgents (DAC generated). To enhance the atmosphere, I wanted to use DSAI (Dynamic Speaking AI). However, for some unknown reason, the insurgents (which are on the redfor side), refuse to utter a single sound. Would you have any idea what might be causing this?

This is what's in my init.sqf btw:

Quote[/b] ]execVM "DAC\DAC_Config_Creator.sqf";

setviewdistance 2000;

ACE_NoWeaponDispersion = true;

ACE_NoBlackout = true;

RUG_DSAI_SIDES = [ "RUG_DSAIArab", "RUG_DSAIEng", "RUG_DSAIArab", "RUG_DSAIArab", "RUG_DSAIEng" ];

RUG_DSAI_CycleTime = 20;

target1 = false;

target2 = false;

target3 = false;

Thanks in advance,

Xawery

Very nice mod! One very interesting battle effect this mod has is that we can actually hear the enemies talk from a distance and helps to hunt them down! hahahaha! No wonder radio and verbal silence is observed during operations!