Sign in to follow this  
$able

BattlEye problems

Hi,

I am Bastian Suter, the developer of the BattlEye system integrated in ArmA.

First of all, I would like to thank the many server admins that already have BE enabled on their servers and encourage those who decided otherwise to do the same. To some extent I need public and populated servers to find out what exactly is wrong. Therefore, I really appreciate those who indirectly help to fix the remaining bugs in the BE integration code by just running/using BattlEye. I am working closely with the ArmA devs to resolve these issues.

At this point, I'd also like to clean up with some typical false assumptions I have repeatedly read here and elsewhere:

- BE does not lag up your servers (increase ping, desync, etc.) or cause the servers to be unreachable

- BE uses only very little resources (CPU, bandwidth), so you hardly will notice it

- you don't need to forward any extra ports for BE to work right

Now please use this thread to report any problems you encounter and help us to resolve them.

Thank you.

Welcome and thanks for your involvement.

We are testing Sunday with 40-60 players with BE.

Some questions as a server admin please...

1) On the server, does BE auto-update itself on the server? Or do you have to manually install or copy files to the server and if so where?

Since I could not find any instructions for the server side I would assume it is an auto-update.

2) Is there any indication/confirmation on screen or in a log to confirm that BE is enabled and running?

Thanks

BattlEye Server: Could not connect to BE Master

BattlEye Server: Update attempt failed

Server.cfg

BattlEye = 1;

Hi,

whenever I join a server, the game will kick me out with a statement that Battleye failed to connect. I tried to join many servers and none of them would work. Is there a way to activate Battleye? Why does it not respond?

@ViperMaul:

1) Yes, it automatically updates.

2) Ingame you will see "BattlEye Client: Initialized" when entering the game (after the map is loaded). Also, there is a BE filter in the multiplayer browser.

@Fangschuss: What it says, BE fails to connect to the BE Master (arma1.battleye.com). For some reason it can't reach that server.

@xhavenx: What is the exact error message? Is it "BattlEye initialization failed"? You need to install BE then (included in the new patch).

At this point, I'd also like to clean up with some typical false assumptions I have repeatedly read here and elsewhere:

- BE does not lag up your servers (increase ping, desync, etc.) or cause the servers to be unreachable

- BE uses only very little resources (CPU, bandwidth), so you hardly will notice it

- you don't need to forward any extra ports for BE to work right

Now please use this thread to report any problems you encounter and help us to resolve them.

Thank you.

As you can see the issue i have highlighted i fail to see how BE cant be the cause of this problem. When we enable BE on the server we get a long wait before players can connect, we then get a long wait to select our player slots as if the server was lagging and in game after a few minutes we all freeze and experience some kind of new desync where all players are running on the spot but you can see them driving around as there tire tracks appear and smoke from there weapons.

And yet non of this happens when i disable battleeye. I will get the server specs soon.

Matt, the only thing that could possibly cause this is bad/non-working DNS resolution on your server.

Could you check that?

Was running Battleye on our servers until one crashed.

Restarted server and get this now

server.JPG

TurnedBattleye off and server starts ok.

Hmmm... I get kicked from servers running Battleye with the message:

Battleye: client not responding.

This a firewall issue? Is there a port I should open or summat?

@Dave: Not sure, but maybe the BEServer.dll got somehow corrupted on the crash.

Try deleting the BattlEye folder in ArmA's application data folder (default is C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\BattlEye).

@CameronMcDonald: Does it happen when entering the game, while/after you see the "Receiving..." window?

I am aware of this problem and working with BIS to fix it.

For now, a simple rejoin (without restarting ArmA) should work, because "Receiving..." on the same server is way shorter then.

@Dave: Not sure, but maybe the BEServer.dll got somehow corrupted on the crash.

Try deleting the BattlEye folder in ArmA's application data folder (default is C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\BattlEye).

The BEServer.dll was missing from D:\Games\ArmA_BattlEye\BattlEye folder

Easter Sunday caused us to have low attendance so only 21 max players playing today. Normally we have 50-60.

Our server host company is SquadServer. They noticed what appears to be a critical issue. They apparently emailed you with the details.

Our experience was good over all however there were enough strangeness happening intermittently when new players connected that we may be motivated to disable this beta version of battleye during our weekly tournaments.

The strangeness we speak of is the following.

Meaning we did NOT get desync or any RED or YELLOW chains. We do NOT get low server FPS (only lost about 7-10 FPS during new connection). So we maintained 38-48 server FPS with 21 people connected. Also client side FPS was reported good during new connection periods. But yet we were seeing people run in place and client side sputtering while some new players were connecting.

We are looking forward to the future releases of Battleye however. We think it will be a great & necessary addition.

The strangeness we speak of is the following.

Meaning we did NOT get desync or any RED or YELLOW chains. We do NOT get low server FPS (only lost about 7-10 FPS during new connection). So we maintained 38-48 server FPS with 21 people connected. Also client side FPS was reported good during new connection periods. But yet we were seeing people run in place and client side sputtering while some new players were connecting.

We are looking forward to the future releases of Battleye however. We think it will be a great & necessary addition.

We also get this.

Its not actually my server but our clan leaders so i'm trying to get the information from him. Shouldn't be long.

ViperMaul, yes I am in contact with SquadServer.

Please always ensure that you only get those problems with BE enabled. Also, the current version of BattlEye is not a beta, the only thing that may be bugged is the code incorporating BE into ArmA.

volkov956

Don't quote images. As I posted in the 1.11 TS topic its

battleye=0; to disable.

Moving to MP so as to keep BE issues separate from main ArmA troubleshooting issues.

Hello $able. I work with squadserver and beleave you spoke to nick aka malboeuf about the problem im gonna say. Mal would of posted him self but he cant currentlly post on these forums due to some reasons thats geting cleared up.

Mal noticed the increase server ram that showed in the proformance on task manager but didnt show up in the processes which basiclly caused his problems and had to reboot the systems.

I did my own test today after i rebooted my system and found that when using

battleye=1;

or

battleye=0;

Or not in the server.cfg at all the ram jumps around 600mb when server is started but the increase in ram dont show in the processes at all and due to this reason i cant use it. Map my server runs can use 600mb its self so we taking about my server using around a gig of ram or more using 1.11 with BE

I guess this could be the 1.11 patch its self causing the problem sence it does it with all 3 settings.

A problem with battleye we noticed is that its been kicking alot of players. geting the message (player kicked off by battleye. Client not responding) Today i had reports it kicked off half the players on my server but wasnt there to comfirm that

brit~XR, I am not sure, but your post sounds like you have the same problems with BattlEye=0? That would mean it is not related to BE.

As I already told Malboeuf, this is in no way related to the BE Server directly - only possibly to the code that integrates BE into ArmA (even though that is very unlikely).

Anyway, I have forwarded this report to BIS. A memory leak, regardless of what causes it, is always critical and should be fixed asap.

Regarding "Client not responding": It is known to happen when a player is in "Receiving..." state (black screen) for a long time after joining the game - depending on his connection. This is related to the BE integration code and will be fixed in the next version.

You shouldn't be kicked for that while playing though - except if a client loses connection due to a game crash of course.

Please also try the new BE Server version (you get it via auto-update). Some improvements have been made regarding this and other matters.

Yep i did say that in my 2nd post above. i used all 3 settings. battleye=0; then battleye=1; then removed battleye= from server.cfg and did the same.

I just tested again with battleye=0; to make sure. Server ram was 370mb and when server started it went to 904mb and in processes it shows 20,120k memory used.

Is that immediately after the .exe started? As the memory usage in task manager goes up to more than 100 MB when a mission is loaded.

Ok, I get the same for the "Commit Charge" value - "Physical Memory" remains normal though.

I get the feeling that this might be related to ArmA's new memory management.