Sign in to follow this  
sparks50

Project Reality mod VS Arma

I'd like to disagree with its interpretation of Reality, especially with a lot of its vehicles. In terms of gameplay, I do find it hard to fault, its a very well put together mod.

Unfortunately, however realistic, war isn't conducted in a 100m2 area... ArmA wins the realism on that account for me. And at the end of the day, its still BF2, with the BF2 mentality players.

Quote[/b] ]with the BF2 mentality players.

WRONG

The PR public multiplayer community is by far more mature and tactically minded than the smacktard ArmA multiplayers. At least last time I checked, but that's a year ago so things might have changed, but I doubt it.

Wrong? If I feel its still the BF2 mentality, then thats my opinion I based on my experience of playing this mod. Who are you to tell me I'm wrong? You can disagree with my opinion if you wish. I agree its better than the general population, but its still tainted with general idiocy.

Then again, like ArmA, its about finding the right servers and people to play with, which I gave up trying to do.

I think the mentality in PR is very good, usually in each game there is at least 3-4 squads using voice-com and cooperating.

In Arma on the other hand, you almost have to join a clan just to get a good coop.

And the vehicle handling is crap yes if thats what you meant, I will never say anything bad about the driving in Arma again rofl.gif

I was more on about the visual aspects of their vehicles. They've gotten better, but some are still a bit short of the mark. Seems a shame that such hard work in the coding side of things, is a little let down with some of the vehicle models.

I think the mentality in PR is very good, usually in each game there is at least 3-4 squads using voice-com and cooperating.

In Arma on the other hand, you almost have to join a clan just to get a good coop.

And the vehicle handling is crap yes if thats what you meant, I will never say anything bad about the driving in Arma again rofl.gif

Vehicles in PR handle so much better then ArmA! They have...Physics!

Who are you to tell me I'm wrong?

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say "in my opinion I disagree", but statistically I have NEVER encounter a single person in public ArmA mp willing to cooperate longer than 20 seconds with me, in PR however I can hardly recall not meeting someone willing to do so.

-edit-

Oh I take that back, there was this one guy 6 months ago. rofl.gif

When ArmA came out the contrast in player behavior was appalling to be honest, a huge disappointment.

Then again, like ArmA, its about finding the right servers and people to play with, which I gave up trying to do.

I find that hard to believe, but compared to ArmA my experience have been that it's a piece of cake to get a good coop game going in PR.

Wrong? If I feel its still the BF2 mentality, then thats my opinion I based on my experience of playing this mod. Who are you to tell me I'm wrong? You can disagree with my opinion if you wish. I agree its better than the general population, but its still tainted with general idiocy.

Dr. Placebo recommends less caffeine and more breathing exercises, with a hint of yoga, really sure there's no need to get heated over trivial matters wink_o.gif

Appologies, recent developments in my personal life have made me less than courteous, and prone to getting a little upset.

Opteryx, I agree that public ArmA servers are rather awful at times for getting any sort of co-operation, but then again I steer well clear of public servers, and play with a group. My experience was a long time ago with PR, so perhaps I'll give it another go, but certainly when I was playing, I saw little that convinced me of any sort of maturity improvement over regular BF2. You may have noticed my level of patience is a little low at times, so it doesn't take much to put me off a MP scene.

And those WMIKs make me cry

Appologies, recent developments in my personal life have made me less than courteous, and prone to getting a little upset.

Humm I didn't perceive your reply as aggravated at all huh.gif

Opteryx, I agree that public ArmA servers are rather awful at times for getting any sort of co-operation, but then again I steer well clear of public servers, and play with a group.

That's the thing I really loved about PR when I played it, you didn't need to join a clan/squad/group or whatever to get a fulfilling MP experience, OK I'll admit there are morons in PR as with any game, but usually they we're shunned. In PR I could just jump into MP and it wouldn't take long until was hard a work with a group very dedicated players.

I've had one theory though as to why maybe there's been a horrendous lack of teamwork in ArmA's public MP, and that's VOIP, with BF2 you had a working VOIP system. This contributed immensely to the MP experience, I cannot put enough emphasis on how this feature contributes to teamwork, sadly I think it's too late for ArmA even though a working VOIP system is being implemented.

My experience was a long time ago with PR, so perhaps I'll give it another go, but certainly when I was playing, I saw little that convinced me of any sort of maturity improvement over regular BF2. You may have noticed my level of patience is a little low at times, so it doesn't take much to put me off a MP scene.

Did you happen to try it around the time of a patch release? This is usually when there's a large influx of vanilla players coming in and that can be a deterring first impression to people who's looking for hardcore coop.

As for realism.... ArmA wins hands down, no doubt about it. The sad thing is that the PR mod is very restricted due to the BF2 engine having most things hardcoded, I think PR would've been a lot closer to ArmA if the engine was more flexible.

I heard PR is pretty good. I had my copy of BF2 stored somewhere for the eventual release of Forgotten Hope, but now I can't find it sad_o.gif, only the box.

I found BF2 to be pretty fun, but that depends on the map. I usually played on urban and small ones, did pretty good there. Rarely did I see cooperation, it only happened once and even then it broke up after 20 mins. In bf1942, after the arrival of BF2 I saw a lot more cooperation, mainly because it was the same 30 of us playing the same mod. And me and another one would usually snipe the main spawn a lot. Oh the golden times biggrin_o.gif.

About PR vs ArmA, I'm willing to stick my hand out and say ArmA is more realistic, even though I haven't played PR.

Guest RKSL-Rock
The least you should do is post a link in the 1st post smile_o.gif .

http://www.realitymod.com/

Its funny how everyone hates bf2, but have a copy somehow biggrin_o.gif .

From what i've seen of it... its not it...

I think its more accurate to say that they hate the way people play BF2, not that they hate the game.

As for Project Reality itself, the models aren’t exactly accurate... if Messiah is crying of over the WMIKS, I’m suicidal over the Harrier and Merlin etc. biggrin_o.gif My own attempt to help the PR team resulted in abuse, which is pretty much the same as some people the ArmA community so there really isn’t much difference there

I would say the only differences between ArmA and BF2 are:

- ArmA has a less restricted environment ie not a tiny playable area

- Game engine allows for a wider array of vehicles

- ArmA Addons tend to be more accurate (higher poly count allowance?)

- ArmA doesn't allow the annoying bunny hopping BS

So purely on those points ArmA wins everytime for me.

As for MP gameplay.  I understand what Opteryx means, but to be honest I’ve had similar experiences with BF2 and BF2142 as with ArmA.  It just depends who you play online with.

Vanilla BF2 and PR players are worlds apart, I would say I've seen more BF2 player bashing on the PR forums than here. That's at least how it used to be in the earlier builds, in fact many PR players are ex-OFP players.

I enjoyed PR prior to .7, but the type of gameplay I got in it was very, very different from what I get in ArmA. PR was what I went and played when I wanted something less intense and less demanding/hardcore than ArmA - I think that pretty much says it all. It's nice, but it doesn't give anywhere near the same experience as ArmA, at least compared to what I typically experience in ArmA.

After .7, though, I've given up on PR. I disagree with quite a few things that they did design-wise in that release, and unless they address various issues, I can't see myself going back to it. PR was doing great right up until that release.

What issues are that Dslyecxi? If you don't mind me asking smile_o.gif

Heh, teh good old PR mod for bf2.

Since vanilla BF2 sucked, and Arma wasnt released, this mod was the best choice to make BF2 a playable game. ( this is prolly the reason why many bf2 whiners do have a copy of that game.)

props to the PR crew & community.

Project Reality were the first to support my statssystem. And they still use it smile_o.gif

damn! i actually did a interview with them too

I have played both and in my opinion ArmA doesn't come close to play ability. when you take into effect cost, system requirements and availability (try finding Queen's gambit or ArmA most of the time in the US) Battlefield is 10 bucks in the stores, PR is free and a download. As for gameplay, for those who claimed it was slow or not tactical need to jump into the Tactical Gamers server. Again just my opinion so please no hate mail lol.

Sorry to go all necro and bump an old thread, but I'd rather do so than make a new one :)

One of the reason I'm looking into Arma2 is because of Project Reality in many senses. My clan has pretty much moved over to this, and when I get some money to buy a new computer, I'll get Arma 2 as well. PR has been a great game, and the community is extremely tactically minded for the most part. However, aside from the BF2 engine limitations that it has to cope with, I'm also very disappointed with some of the developper decisions.

Some of them evidently have a warped sense of reality or of how to accomplish "gameplay" (which is one of the main focus of PR, reality often comes second if at all). For instance, headshots were eliminated as something that killed you because, and I quote loosely, "the concept of 'boom... headshot!' stil exists, and many armies train their infantry not to aim for the head." Alongside with the ignorance given to vehicles makes it so that aircraft are at the hands of ground based infantry to use their weapons at all, where no tank has to fear aircraft or take tactical maneuvers against it, yadda yadda. In essence, Project Reality is mainly an infantry mod for Battlefield 2, where cheerleading forum goers who praise any developper decision without taking an unbiased look at it towards reality encourage the most retarded of actions, the same community which can't seem to cope with the thought that arming aircraft realistically and giving them realistic weapon systems actually increases teamwork because they'd actually be a feared asset :icon_rolleyes:

Not that I hope anyone gets the wrong idea, because PR is still a really enjoyable game with an amazing community. I still play it, mainly cuz it's all I got hehe, but some of the long range firefights are amazing.

Annnnnnyways, wanted to make an entrance but I ended up starting a rant :rolleyes: I've got the Arma II demo, and aside from the sound and animations, I think everything is much better than PR as of yet. Can't wait to get the real-deal, though.

Myself, I prefer BF2 for PvP, (which is a gamestyle I rarely play but enjoy) and ArmA for co-ops, which is my preferred gameplay style.

I've yet to play PR, one of these days I suppose, but I pretty much abandoned BF2 when Enemy Territory came out.

Edited by Baff1

And at the end of the day, its still BF2, with the BF2 mentality players.

BULLSHIT

PR has the best and most mature group of player I have ever seen by a LONGSHOT (including ARMA2's community).

The teamwork on pubs is nothing short of incredible.

Unless things have changed drastically from ARMA and OFP, getting good teamwork going on in pub games in ARMA 2 will be close to impossible. In PR it's the norm. So I'll probably stick to PR for my PvP needs and go with ARMA2 for coop/SP.

And yeah it sucks that PR doesn't have realistic ballistics and all but the gameplay is so realistic (in terms of how people play the game tactically) that it doesn't matter.

Edited by NoxNoctum