Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

playSound, say, cfgSounds

Hi, I'm trying to access the wss sound files from:

voice.pbo which contains \alan\moveto.wss

It works fine if I copy the moveto.wss file to my mission sounds folder and adjust the path.

Q1: However I want to access the file straight from the pbo.

Is that possible? What would the correct path be?

(Or even better would be to have it work using CfgRadio.)

Q2: Also, are the "CfgVoice->Words" entries in voice.pbo->config.cpp usable somehow?

Any of these work fine (for the copied file only)

sayCommand.sqf:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">player say ["RadioMsg1", 500];

//player say "RadioMsg1";

//playsound "RadioMsg1";

description.ext:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] =

{

RadioMsg1

};

class RadioMsg1

{

name = "RadioMsg1";

sound[] = {"\sounds\moveto.wss", 1, 1}; // works with copied file

titles[] = {};

};

};

I tried variations of the following in an attempt to use the file straight from voice.pbo, without success:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> sound[] = {"voice\alan\moveto.wss", 1, 1};

sound[] = {"\voice\alan\moveto.wss", 1, 1};

sound[] = {"CA\voice\alan\moveto.wss", 1, 1};

sound[] = {"\CA\voice\alan\moveto.wss", 1, 1};

sound[] = {"\CA\alan\moveto.wss", 1, 1};

Sound, voices and music is rather an obscure topic it seems. I see lots of success using personal ogg/wss files straight from their mission but not from ArmA pbo files.

Any help appeciated.

Hi Doc,

I've tried something similar in the the revive scripts in an attempt to make the package smaller and so I could add alot more voices and I could never get it to work.  As far as I know the only way to do it is to source the sound files from a user made sound addon like SNKMAN does in GPL2+.

norrin

I sent a question to Suma about this a while back and received this example for description.ext entry :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class voice1

{

name = "voice1";

sound[] = {"\ca\voice\alan\actions\activatebomb.wss", db+1, 1.0};

titles[] =

{

};

};

Didn´t work for me though and I just gave up at some point.

Open up some of the campaign missions, thats what I did, not at my PC at the moment but the sounds out of them (ca\ etc etc) worked great.

confused_o.gif

Interesting. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm shocked at the failed attempts and not just by anybody. This is terrible news.

Test 1: The campaign missions do not appear to use any voice.pbo sounds.

Also none of them have any '\ca\' or 'ca\' references.

They all use their own 'sound' folder with hundreds of sound files in each.

Test 2: I also had a suggestion made to add 'voice' to the addons list.

That actually required adding 'cavoice' spelling. That didn't help either.

Test 3: This sounds.pbo sound worked without any cfgSound changes at all:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">player sideRadio "M01r01";

Tip 1: It seems using 'sound' folder also removes the need for the '\sound\' path prefix, so it must be the default search location.

Tip 2: Also the sounds[] list doesn't appear to be required.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] = {};

Will research elsewhere, but I'm starting to suspect it's not possible from within a mission.

Speculation - It would seem that if the sound file is not already declared inside the mod for use by the mission, then it might not be accessible.

Well I figure if XAM is allowed to redistribute half of arma's code in it's mod, then a few tiny BIS sound files in each mission should be ok with a BIS EULA & copyright notice. Although this would blow out it's size by a few MB's.