Sign in to follow this  
LeftSkidLow

3DS Import all screwed up

I tried to import just to see what kind of errors I would get before I am too far along. Well look at this, everything that I used the mirror tool for in max is all screwed up, and other stuff.

my.php?image=500messupgl9.jpg500messupgl9.jpg

If you are using 3dsmax, reset the xform before you export. all that distortion looking like flipped normals and some scaling problems that usually happen if you don't do that. If you are using some other software package, like maya or softimage, try deleting the object history / freezing the modeling modifier stack.

Yeah Im using 3dsmax, I reset the xform thing and it didn't fix it. Its probably something very basic I did wrong because I don't know how to model. The fuselage isn't even visible in o2. I just don't understand how it can look ok in max but be all fucked up in o2.

3d apps work in mysterious ways. Do try selecting each object separately and clearing each xform individually, or try exporting as an obj file.

The fuselage isn't visible I think because they are single sided poligons with the normal on the wrong side in o2. I'm seeing the inside of them in your screen shot. I think that everything is there, it's just upside down and inside out.

edit: just to confirm you're resetting the xform by selecting the objects, going under the utilities menu (hammer icon), and then clicking 'reset xform', then collapsing the stack for each object?

3d apps work in mysterious ways. Do try selecting each object separately and clearing each xform individually, or try exporting as an obj file.

The fuselage isn't visible I think because they are single sided poligons with the normal on the wrong side in o2. I'm seeing the inside of them in your screen shot. I think that everything is there, it's just upside down and inside out.

edit: just to confirm you're resetting the xform by selecting the objects, going under the utilities menu (hammer icon), and then clicking 'reset xform', then collapsing the stack for each object?

Well for the xform I selected all objects, went to the hammer and hit reset xform and then reset selected. I'm not sure what you mean by collapsing the stack for each object, I'm that much of a noob at this. I tried to export obj the other day and got an error so I gave up on that. I think you are right about the fuselage, I just made it out of splines and then a surface modifier in max and it looked ok. Work is slowing me down a bit but I appreciate your help.

Well for the xform I selected all objects, went to the hammer and hit reset xform and then reset selected. I'm not sure what you mean by collapsing the stack for each object, I'm that much of a noob at this. I tried to export obj the other day and got an error so I gave up on that. I think you are right about the fuselage, I just made it out of splines and then a surface modifier in max and it looked ok. Work is slowing me down a bit but I appreciate your help.

IIRC, in the modify or edit menu to your left, you will see a list of modifiers on each object as you select them. you should at least see the modifier 'reset xform'. When you click on the modifier, the object should go funky colours with some seemingly meaningful gizmos on them. If you right click on the reset xfrom modifier, a context menu will pop up. Choose 'collapse all'.

Also, in the view options, be sure to tag 'backface culling' to make sure that all of your objects are the right side in. Lofts and such can turn inside out depending on how you drew the curves (depending on their start and end points). If you find that your meshes are inside out, you'll have to edit their normals. I think that those options are in either the editable poly or editable mesh building modes.

IIRC, in the modify or edit menu to your left, you will see a list of modifiers on each object as you select them. you should at least see the modifier 'reset xform'. When you click on the modifier, the object should go funky colours with some seemingly meaningful gizmos on them. If you right click on the reset xfrom modifier, a context menu will pop up. Choose 'collapse all'.

Also, in the view options, be sure to tag 'backface culling' to make sure that all of your objects are the right side in. Lofts and such can turn inside out depending on how you drew the curves (depending on their start and end points). If you find that your meshes are inside out, you'll have to edit their normals. I think that those options are in either the editable poly or editable mesh building modes.

like plaintiff1 said u need to go and collapse the modifier stack for each object if you reset xform on multiple objects

sorry for the off topic, but how do freezz the modeling modifier stack in maya 7

sorry for the off topic, but how do freezz the modeling modifier stack in maya 7

Maya doesn't have a modelling modifier stack in the same way. Each object in Maya has a modelling history which inludes things like pulling points and such (which appear as a 'polytweak#' operator). To delete the modelling history in Maya, select the object(s) and under edit find delete by type. Open up that branch of the menu and choose 'history'. Alternately, you can use the hot keys 'alt+shift+d'.. in Maya that is written as 'alt + D'. Maya is case sensitive, so make sure that your capslock is ALWAYS OFF when using Maya.

edit: and if you have any further questions about 3d software, <s>you can PM me</s>. That way we don't hijack this thread. I'm familiar with max, maya, and XSI.

edit: I have made a thread called '3d application questions and answers' where you can post your 3d questions!