Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ATTN: Addon Makers - Rules of content permissions.

Hello

I am looking for the programmer, DMA Libia Mod. Did someone a name or an email address?

Hello

I am looking for the programmer, DMA Libia Mod. Did someone a name or an email address?

That's not what this thread is for, it's for discussing the concept of addon permissions not specific issues of getting permission for one or more addon.

just a little note here...

I have been accused of stealing someones elses work twice

first time was some explaination problems, guess it was my bad...

the second time was a jumpy conclusion...

I won't rip up in the details it has all been worked out and theres no hard feelings but what I wan't to say is that you need to be sure before accusing anyone of stealing, if somebody had seen those comments before I had the chance of defending myself the wrong words might have spread too fast... so please make sure your right...

just a little note here...

I have been accused of stealing someones elses work twice

first time was some explaination problems, guess it was my bad...

the second time was a jumpy conclusion...

I won't rip up in the details it has all been worked out and theres no hard feelings but what I wan't to say is that you need to be sure before accusing anyone of stealing, if somebody had seen those comments before I had the chance of defending myself the wrong words might have spread too fast... so please make sure your right...

Sometimes, if someone figures you're stealing and you're using borrowed content, it's because you aren't citing your sources or giving credit properly. It's your duty to be clear where your addons are coming from up front and forthright.

I'm not saying this is true in your case, I'm addressing the community rather than you directly.

Re last two posts, also not what this thread is for, defend yourselves by all means in the thread of the addon/mod if it becomes necessary, this thread is purely about one single aspect of the whole "issue".

BTW apologies to everyone who has Emailed me, I will be addressing each Email as soon as I can but I just moved apartment at the weekend and I have a bunch of stuff I need to do, plus of course other BIS duties to attend to so I can only address the addon permissions issue as and when I have free time, don't stop trying to contact the persons involved in the meantime, nothing will make me happier than getting an email telling me to forget the original request for help as they now made contact with someone.

This may not be the appropriate thread, but is things such as THIS legal?

don't see that in it self being wrong but it could lead to some rought discussions, I think I remember some threads being closed becasue of discussion about paying for addons, not sure if it was here though...

@Placebo I wasn't defending myself or anyone there I just wanted to make a note for people to see without opening a new thread about it thats all...

This may not be the appropriate thread, but is things such as [link removed]

Items made with tools released by BIS cannot be charged for.

just though of something, if I make a mod with QG stuff in it, how am I supposed to know if people without QG use them, is there some way I need to make sure it requires QG to run

There's tons of freeware 3D models spread around the web, many of which can make an excellent base from which to build upon. Beware of similarities due to a common freeware base model (see google sketchup for examples) that might be used to prove that the work is stolen, when many projects, possibly of the same RL object could possibly use the same freebie model as the starting point from which the rest of the work is built. Just my tuppence worth.

The least problems would be generated if addon developers would put their content under a free arts license. (This would also be the most ethical thing to do) Possible licences could be

Creative Commons Attribution + Noncommercial (by-nc)

Copyleft

Licence Art Libre

or even GPL

as some licences are more restrictive in cross licensing, or could possibly not be allowed with bis licening, the community should agree on one. Possibly defining a BIS free license BI encourages to use.

It's thinkable to license different parts under different licenses. For example the actual p3d, wich reqires BIS tools, with their more restrictive rules not openly, but also include the 3ds model and the textures under any free license in the pbo.

It shouldn't happen that models of the same thing are created over and over again, while they'd be readily available, and only the shortsightedness or stubborness of their creators prevent their further use in the game.

Well personally.... It is unethical that a website is charging $$$ to make addons (although they do not say what they use for the 3d modelling). However ultimately they must use O2 to convert the model, so it must go through O2 at some stage unless they are some genius coders who figured out a way around that. Nevertheless, ultimately such addons get used by some mod usually which ends up being distributed to the community for free. Most mods I think are ok with this if the $$ is relatively little. Its not right, but I think that BIS will not take legal action unless suddenly this catches on and becomes a rapidly growing industry. Then they are FULLY within their rights to take legal action.

But until that happens, I think BIS is wise to ignore it for now. If it's not a problem, better not to make it a problem. That just causes bad-press and isn't healthy for the bottom-line that may not outweight going after just one such enterprise when in fact most such TALENTED enterpises end up getting legitimate work with VBS2 under REAL defense contracts. The more I learn about BIS, honestly the more I respect them. They have some extremely far-sighted people working for them that really understand the gaming culture and long term business strategy.

So I give them my hats off for this.

As the Rizla Ranger says,

"Max Res" (Maximum Respect)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i wonder:

in case i collect tons of addons and want to make a compilation available (no pbo-altering, just putting them together in a rar-file and distributing that):

do i need to have the authors permissions or is it enough to make a list that gives credits to the various people?

i wonder:

in case i collect tons of addons and want to make a compilation available (no pbo-altering, just putting them together in a rar-file and distributing that):

do i need to have the authors permissions or is it enough to make a list that gives credits to the various people?

No need for either, as long as you don't claim it as your own work.

Abs

Just remember that many addon makers will ask/prefer that you always distribute the relevant readme along with their addons.

i wonder:

You better check the ReadMe's of every single Mod/AddOns you use. There are a few that say don't redistribute in any fashion with out express permission. I'm not sure which you had in mind but just check those ReadMes. Someone did this about a year ago with some content and a few of the author's weren't too pleased. It wasn't an edit job, just a package/redistribution thing.

Hi.

I have a question.

What happens if I want convert an addon made by OFP but the autor's never reply my PM and e-mail's

Can I convert it to ArmA and then release ?

Obviously I will give credit's to the original autor's

Because for about 6 month's ago I tried to contact with someone of the Norwegian Forces Team (NORFOR) and Bundeswehr Mod (BWM), both from OFP and I never got a reply.

I want have the permission of the Leopard 2A4 and then release with the Chilean Mod.

Thank in advance smile_o.gif

I read the first post of Placebo.

I'm still waiting a reply of Terp in their forum.

terpso0.jpg

and in this forum I sent PM to TeRpEnTiN and metalchris, but both never reply my PM.

try to send mr burns a pm

as far as i can remember placebo says in here that you can

go on converting a model if you have done reasonable amount

of effort. if you wanna be certain have a look at his other posts.

since OFP time , i was wondering.

Do we need permission to use BIS addons, for the same game??

and in particular, for retextures of BIS units, or remodell etc etc...

No you do not need BIS' permission for using our stuff within our own games, as long as it's not for any kind of commercial product.

May I ask for some clarification on this?

Specifically, there are some animations in Queens Gambit that would like to be used in Vanilla Armed Assault, clearly this isn't a problem when both titles are installed, but does this implied permission allow for the use of QG content in an addon without the user having QG installed? Are ArmA and QG considered the same game in this context?

So far this has been avoided simply on the grounds it would breach copyright, but an official word or clarification of this would aid the community as a whole I believe.

can some one help me out am trying to get hold of the kid who did the F22A iv sent him a email but whit no luck as any one er have his PM addy and ta

Regarding Queen's Gambit, BIS has been VERY nice regarding small minor bits and pieces being used from it (bits of equipment from here and there) and not entire models. However, as I did, for example, on my last Taliban Pack, on the ANA pickup truck with the MG and one of the Katushya trucks, I kept the file paths to the Queen's Gambit foldier. This encourages people to buy the the QG pack if they want to use certain addons. The Taliban pack still works without it, just minus those vehicles.

I think as long as there is a working relationship between addon makers and BIS where we create sales for BIS (always a good thing) there shouldn't be a problem. It's just an issue of mutual respect and BIS has been very good about that so far. So ambiguity is often done for good reason just to avoid sticky legal issues that are best left alone if its not harming anyone and nothing is being abused. In other words don't force BIS on legal decisions publicly. Contact them privately to discuss issues. But if you want to use an entire QG model, definitely contact Placebo or one of the other BIS contacts as I'm guessing that such things are a no-go area and best to avoid unless the file paths require Queen's Gambit to use (which means more potential sales for BIS). Still I'm not a BIS spokesperson so contact Placebo or one of the other BIS contacts to double check anythng. Generally speaking most issues can be resolved easily, but its just not the proper subject for a pubic debate. Nothing shadowy or top secret about that. It's just a common sense way of doing things that keeps BIS from appearing to be overly draconian. It's one of the reasons why many of us stay loyal to BIS and support them 100%.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Anyone know how to get a hold of Col. Klink? I wanted to ask to port over his fishing boats.

if some one posts a addon on armaholic.com for ArmA do i have do this or is it just taking add ons from OFP and puting them ArmA? if i am not alod to get them from armaholic.com i will go and delete them now.