Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: ATTN: Addon Makers - Rules of content permissions.

in my previous OFP activity i remember situations as i get permission by PM and later that addon maker (who gave me permission year ago) said i use something without
    so important should be issue "if i allow, i must inform that i took back later"
    also i remember situations where i get the same photo using GOOGLE and someone had problems, that i have the same...
    but if someone left community... ups... than there is problem, but what to do when game engine changes because of patch , like we hade in 1.07 when "class rifle:mgun" was replaced by "class rifle: riflecore" and one not compatible addon was causing fire from chest
    than to delete old good addon or someone to update this to next patch ?
    yes copright LEGAL issues are different in many countries and changes sometimes year by year , but it has nothing to do when addonmaking is just hobby, fun, to give people FREE of charge enjoy
    i also know that in countries like Russia addons were sold on CD, so for example someone was earning money for selling people's addons on CD (maybe because of poor network and internet connections)

but when we talk about addon, we can talk about 3ds, photoshop and software
    i am angry a little, when someone says my textures are poor, some things missing in addons, while all model i do in Oxygen and other 2d in OEM soft , but offtopic here, sorry :P other issue
    new tools gave me ability to do normalmapps , and i am thanxfull to BIS

Quote Originally Posted by (XSparky @ Jan. 15 2008,22:08)
    well, i think that you have some point there.
    But it's a different thing the trademark, example take a look in BIS ArmA fuel station it says shnell instead of shell, also some other signs, possible there will be a problem cause it's a trademark.
    But as for modelling, a model like car, tank it will never be the same as the original, only something that looks like the original, i believe that the creator doesn't claim copyright for the creation of the car, tank or whatever, BUT for the modell. There will be a law problem if you try and use the prototype CAD model of this vehicle.
    But if someone uses your model/textures that you've created 1st, and you haven't give any permission then it's different, and it's violation of the copyright.
    Copyright it's a very sensitive situation, and demands respect.
    your arguments are weak, which modeler here is checking copyrights on what he is modeling and could try to defend his against a XX.000$ licence claim from a real company at all?

but we should separate legal and moral.

As long as no one is running business here with his addons, we (as community) should be relatively fine from the legal side.

On the moral side it is simply not acceptable for us to have someone participating in the community (forums and web pages) who copies stuff from others and claims it as his own.
    And here I really see no problem as it works pretty fine. People acting against the (moral) rules get soon ignored. We only have to remind ourself and other from time to time of the rules.

People who think someone stole from them also don't need to jump into discussion "HE STOLE FROM ME!". A name needs time to build but is destroyed in seconds. They should politely ask "why is ... like the stuff I made before?" and depending on the answer it might have been an error on the one or other side.
    If it was intention they can trust on the community that the man will not hang around for long here.

maybe people should also stop adding nonsense copyright claimers ignoring any RL copyrights of their stuff (and this could give real trouble)

QuietMan

I think quiet man is 100% correct. This thread is not about national or international law, it's about forum rules. The forum rules are demanding ethical conduct, as are the laws of nations. They have the same basis, but are not the same things.

My inbox is fill and won't be emptied. If your PM is regarding requests to use my work, unfortunately I choose not to grant such permission. My work is for use with CWR2 only.

4.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #24
    Author of the Thread
    Nice to see that already four or five people have sent me PM's asking for my help in contacting people which is great, although I'd prefer if you send the requests by Email please as I can then keep track of them much better (sorry I didn't say that before).

So if you need me to try to contact someone, send an Email to: with the subject: "Contact for Addon Permissions" (will help it get through the spam filters ) include in there your forum name & the forum name of the person you want me to contact along with links to both of your forum profiles as well as the message you want me to get across to them.

Thanks
    Please do not PM or Email me directly about your CD Key issues, follow the guidance in this thread instead.

Good news, this 'divine' intervention....
    i really think that this has been creating lots of aggrevation amongst some people in the past.
    now the ultimate 'authority' is backing the modders!

And oooh boy, i almost wanna make love with your sig paul!
    ** DISCUSS THE LIMNOS INCIDENT AT OUR FORUMS! WWWHELPIVANMARTIN.ORG/FORUMS ***
    Show your support to Ivan Martin! - embed this javascript snippet on your site!
    Spoiler:

download.armedassault.eu - The Unofficial BIS Download mirror.
    Interview with Marek Spanel (nov2012) - http://www.helpivanmartin.org/2012/1...-marek-spanel/
    SahraniRadio - Ammo for your mind!

Chief Warrant Officer
    Hello
    I am looking for the programmer, DMA Libia Mod. Did someone a name or an email address?

[im]http://www.roughnecks.org/malboeuf/pissonTKC.gif[/img] >100kb
    Roughneck Whore House - rn1.roughnecks.org
    AMD 64x2 4400 2200@2450 Mhz- 2 gig dual DDR PC4000 - SATA HDs

7.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #27
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by (Alex.Sworn @ Jan. 24 2008,22:34)
    Hello
    I am looking for the programmer, DMA Libia Mod. Did someone a name or an email address?
    That's not what this thread is for, it's for discussing the concept of addon permissions not specific issues of getting permission for one or more addon.

just a little note here...

I have been accused of stealing someones elses work twice
    first time was some explaination problems, guess it was my bad...

the second time was a jumpy conclusion...
    I won't rip up in the details it has all been worked out and theres no hard feelings but what I wan't to say is that you need to be sure before accusing anyone of stealing, if somebody had seen those comments before I had the chance of defending myself the wrong words might have spread too fast... so please make sure your right...

Quote Originally Posted by (agamoth @ Jan. 30 2008,01:18)
    just a little note here...

I have been accused of stealing someones elses work twice
    first time was some explaination problems, guess it was my bad...

the second time was a jumpy conclusion...
    I won't rip up in the details it has all been worked out and theres no hard feelings but what I wan't to say is that you need to be sure before accusing anyone of stealing, if somebody had seen those comments before I had the chance of defending myself the wrong words might have spread too fast... so please make sure your right...
    Sometimes, if someone figures you're stealing and you're using borrowed content, it's because you aren't citing your sources or giving credit properly. It's your duty to be clear where your addons are coming from up front and forthright.

I'm not saying this is true in your case, I'm addressing the community rather than you directly.

10.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #30
    Author of the Thread
    Re last two posts, also not what this thread is for, defend yourselves by all means in the thread of the addon/mod if it becomes necessary, this thread is purely about one single aspect of the whole "issue".

BTW apologies to everyone who has Emailed me, I will be addressing each Email as soon as I can but I just moved apartment at the weekend and I have a bunch of stuff I need to do, plus of course other BIS duties to attend to so I can only address the addon permissions issue as and when I have free time, don't stop trying to contact the persons involved in the meantime, nothing will make me happier than getting an email telling me to forget the original request for help as they now made contact with someone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast