Sign in to follow this  
Daddl

Gaming console - recommendations?

So I'm looking for a nice gaming console in addition to (not as a replacement for) my pc. At the moment I'm leaning for the PS3 (linux support, blue ray drive, good games, good hardware). But I'd like to get some input from you guys, on why you choose the console you're using, and what you would recommend.

Please, no 'm4 c0n$0l3 0\/\/n0r j00r p13c3 0f $h17 4n4 d4y!!!!!!!!!' stuff in this thread. I want arguments and I seek help, not a flame war!

A short description of what I'm looking for in a console:

- compatibility with old consoles is of no importance as I never owned one before

- price for the console hardware is of no concern - I only plan to buy one, and it'll be the only one for a few years. Price for (necessary) extra hardware accessories, access to multi player games, etc. on the other hand definitely is!

- it should be able to play hd or blue ray discs - if possible without requiring extra hardware.

- I'm most likely the primary user for this console, but still my wife might get the hang of it, so there should be some games available for her (not so violent) taste, too.

- same goes for games that are fun to be played as a group with a bunch of friends

- on the other hand I like great graphics and complex games, so a good selection of sweet role-playing, strategy, action and sports games (racing games mainly) should be available. Stuff I'd enjoy playing on the PC, too, if only I didn't have to bother with hardware requirements, driver problems, copy protection issues and all that.

- multiplayer over the internet would be sweet, too, but not of such a huge importance. With mp games I perefer the pc as a platform.

- some use apart from being a gaming console would be good (like the linux support of the ps3, being able to code for the platform, the use as a multimedia player, etc.).

I'm a 360 owner, went for that because the PS3 has no exclusives that interest me, 360 has more games and as far as I can see the games have less technical issues on 360 than on PS3, also Xbox Live is a better online service as far as I can see (obviously Xbox Live you have to pay a small yearly fee for and PSN is free), but with PSN it seems you get what you pay for, hardly any demos, slow to put new demos and videos up etc. etc.

If you'd like to be playing ArmA2 on console then there's only one choice, 360 smile_o.gif

Daddl - from what you're describing that you're looking for in a console, it seems the PS3 is the obvious choice.

Myself, I just purchased my first console last night - a Wii. I'd played it at a few parties and decided I needed to have one - This is the ultimate party console (a close second being anything that can play Guitar Hero). There are few things in life as hilarious as watching two twenty-somethings really get into a match of Wii boxing or Wii Tennis. (In the latter, make sure you're not swinging too close to your oponent biggrin_o.gif ) Plus, being a faithful PC gamer till now, I detest the traditional gamepad design on anything but a sport/racing game, so the Wii-mote was a big factor in my decision. Another was cost - of the console and the games, and finally the news/weather/internet channels, as we don't have cable, and now we don't need it since we can check the weather/watch the news/visit streaming video sites on the Wii.

Gotta love the irony of watching Youtube on the living room TV smile_o.gif.

Yeah, the Wii may be comparatively simple, but there ain't nothing so satisfying as KO'ing your girlfriend or mates in boxing. smile_o.gif

Wii is hell of fun, own one myself for some month now.

Wii Sports is worth all the money the console cost.

But if you are searching for HD graphics and blueray, the wii isn't your choice, it can't even play dvd. (not build in because everybody has a dvd player today. but there is a wii planned with dvd play.)

-----

For the wii owners here, I found a nice tool today.

Play MP3 music on the wii direct from your PC(via opera).

Look here(you need java installed to get the programm to work):

http://wiisic.max-maurer.de/

Tested it today and it works great.

MfG Lee  xmas_o.gif

Thanks for the heads up Lee. biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, as far as fun factor goes, the Wii is unbeatable (I love mine), nothing quite like flailing your limbs around wildly whilst playing, only now its actually productive! (Come on, you all used to tilt the controller left and right when playing, admit it!wink_o.gif

Also thinking of getting a 360, since the PS3 is entirely overpriced for what it is (IMHO) and the 360 offers a more polished after service, not to mention a bigger game catalog.

I think you must categorize the 3 main consoles right now.

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is in the same category, Wii on the other hand is in another.

The games on Wii are very different, and so has most of the Nintendo-games ever been, differing from previous Playstation and so on, going on more mainstream games.

Wii, with it's special controls is also a different sort of gameplay. It doesn't work for all games, but as it was mentioned above, Wii Sports for example is really fun.

Even if the game does not show how controls work perfectly, it was more of a demo, getting to know how to use the Wii properly.

And the boxing is great fun, I played with my friend, and half an hour passed in 2 seconds, hehe.

A con for the Wii is that (almost) only Nintendo makes accessories and also that it cannot play DVDs.

Although, all GameCube-games are compatible with the Wii.

When it comes down to either the 360 or the PS3, I would definitely choose the 360. Not just because I own one now, but Xbox Live (even if it costs) is seemingly way better then PSN, as placebo mentioned above.

Alot of demos, videos, games etc etc to download via Xbox Live. Not sure how PSN will be, but I've heard from others that the systems seems to be a bit bad actually.

Also, I don't want to pay twice as much for the PS3, just for the BluRay and teh 60GB HDD, I mean, even with the 120GB HDD for 360, it's still cheaper.

There don't seem to be to much of a difference in graphics and sounds etc, so the BluRay seems a bit unneccessary, pushing the price up.

So, the 360 and the PS3 are basicly the same, except for the pricetags.

And also to the 360s favour, it has been out longer then the PS3.

So, either you get a Wii, or a 360, in my opinion.

Hi all

Got to be a Wii.

Nintendo are the only console maker to realise it is about game play and immersion not shiny graphics. Hitting something with your thumb or finger is no where near as immersive or fun as taking a solid swing at it with your whole arm.

Immersive controls is where the next big advance in gaming is both the Wii and Track IR in ArmA prove that beyond doubt.

Whole body tracking is the next big thing! I expect to see one sub 150 US dollars within a year. If there is any companies out there interested I have a design ready to go.

Kind Regards walker

For what you're looking for, its gotta be the PS3.

Personally i would never buy one, because its too overpriced and the 360 is almost as good as it anyway (in terms of graphics etc.)

My mates have 360s and they're good fun, but still, im not a console kinda guy.

However, for Xmas, my brother is getting a Wii, and its the only console im interested in. Purely because its so unique. Nintendo have made it so its not about the graphics, or about the games (so much), its about *how* you play the games, Wii sports is brilliant and its free with the console, the other games are great, especially for parties etc. But dont go looking for too many gritty titles or the 'next-gen' games you'll find on the 360/PS3.

Its a matter of what you like, but from your list of wants, the PS3 is the way to go. If money is no object, go for it. But, if it were me, between the 360 and PS3, i'd go for the 360 for value, better controllers, better games, cheaper, better online functionality etc. All it lacks is the Blu-Ray.

Hope you're satisfied by your choice smile_o.gif

From what i´ve heard the PS3 is just a bigass PSP witch attached BlueRay drive. This means almost monthly firmware updates in order to ensure new games running. Still the FW´s mostly only introduce hack preventions, dumbing down the capabilities of an otherwise excellent multi-platform console (simply every console up to a PS2 could be emulated on the hacked FW).

Xbox360 should be pretty modable too, but needs HW work and also messes up the live feature - so you´d rather want to go original on that one.

Leaving all this aside, imho Xbox360 is the better choice because of available games. PGR2 looks sweet inlove.gif

My friend told me that there was no hardware-modding needed to mod the 360, only a software run through the 360 itself (or maybe a connected PC, can't remember, not of great importance though).

Not too good to do it, as you said, since it messes up the Live.

I would put my money on a 360, just cause it's the same as a PS3, but half the pricetag and twice the games (double the fun, ey?), and since the whole style of Wii doesn't really fit me.

Although, Wii is a cool gadget in itself smile_o.gif

For the wii owners here, I found a nice tool today.

Play MP3 music on the wii direct from your PC(via opera).

Look here(you need java installed to get the programm to work):

http://wiisic.max-maurer.de/

Tested it today and it works great.

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

Awesome find! and thanks for sharing biggrin_o.gif.

Now I'll only need to turn on my roomate's 360 when I want to stream Xvids. smile_o.gif.

P.S. Picked up Super Mario Galaxy today after the insane reviews it's been receiving. Only played for about 15 minutes so far, and I have a bunch of stuff to get done before I should jump on it again, but it looks and plays awesome!

My brother grabbed SM: Galaxy, and the two player mode is actually quite fun (there are some certain levels where playing by oneself becomes almost impossible), far from being useless, like it seems at first.

Wait until you have to play through again with Luigi! Quite enjoyable.

From what i´ve heard the PS3 is just a bigass PSP...

Well it kinda is but that is not a bad thing. I own both the PS3 and 360, while 360 got the games currently but because of the sluggishness of dashboard, batteries for wireless, high-noise dvd-drive, disc-read errors midgame and sometimes freezes I prefer the PS3 and Wii above 360 while it could have been a very good system if these issues would just have been fixed.

If you want a decent system go for PS3 and if on occasion you want to play online its free aswell.

BergHoff, get your 360 looks at =P

I know its breaks down a bit more (JUst got mine back fro repair) but its a damn good console. I havent played a PS3 so I cant really actualy recommend one, but Im happy with my 360.

I bought my 360 second hand in March and have had no technical problems with it, DVD drive is fine, not noisy and such smile_o.gif

Don't own a console, but played on 360, and i recommend it. Only minus is that you have to pay for the service, unlike PS3.

PSN is free, has limited content which rarely gets updated and suffers numerous technical problems, many games are laggy online.

Xbox Live is $94SG for 12 months (£35?), has lots of content, regular updates of new demos/trailers and is relatively stable and smooth.

I know which I'd choose smile_o.gif

Everyone is offering very good advice on this matter and i totally agree with the guys concerning the Xbox 360 and Wii, i have played all 3 systems and agree that 360 is a better system to buy overall for graphics, games, value for money, online value and support. The Wii is also a brilliant system and Nintendo should be swimming in awards just for making such a great system, the games are serious fun especially multiplayer as long as you dont feel a plonker dancing around like a nutter. The price is slightly silly though at the moment (do believe some people are selling it at a over inflated price due to the lack of systems in store) either wait till after christmas or find a Honest supplier.

hehe, Paul.... is repeating yourself not seen as spamming anymore tounge2.gif?

Not when you're powerful like me smile_o.gif

If you'd like to be playing ArmA2 on console then there's only one choice, 360 smile_o.gif

Wow, I thought there is some kind of NDA that you can't say this publicly, but you are maybe even more powerful than I thought...

/runs away scared

Wow, I thought there is some kind of NDA that you can't say this publicly, but you are maybe even more powerful than I thought...  

/runs away scared

Not really.

Most games announce on which platforms they are going to be featured.

Well, thanks a lot to everyone for the good advice and comments!

So far the PS3 is probably still the most likely candidate, but your input has helped me a lot in finding what's the pro and cons for the different platforms.

The Wii's lack in not even being able to play normal even video dvds is a big minus. Also I think I'm more the tech 'kid' looking for the cutting edge games, rather than party or kids games. So it's one of the other two: The PS3 with the build in blue ray costs about as much as the XBox360 with the extra hd drive. The difference is a few Euros at best (that is for the newer 40GB PS3, not the old 60GB version - remember backwards compatibility is a non-issue for me).

So what makes me think that the PS3 is the better choice for me? Two reasons:

1. The XBox360 shares most of it's games with the PC platform - which I already own. The PS3 seems more likely to offer unique games that will never be available on the PC, which is rather what I'm looking for: something new, not just the same on another platform.

2. The XBox 360 is famous for dying hardware and technical issues. I don't want having to worry about such stuff - that's what I already got the PC for. In a console I'm looking for a device that will work and deliver just what it's supposed to do - like my dvd player, my radio or tv. I don't want to worry about it overheating or stuff like that.

Sure the newer XBox consoles are supposed to be better at stability, but I see that as a warning that the hardware might just not be so well designed. The PS3 seems to do much better at that so far.

The XBox 360's biggger pool of available games is not an argument for it in my opinion. The platform's been on the market about a year longer, so that's hardly a surprise. The number of great games available for both platforms will eventually even out.

As far as online gaming is concerned, that's (for me) just a 'nice to have' - not a 'must' or something I'd really want to pay for. Anyways, work and family nowadays leave me hardly any time to be a regular online player.

Edit: Oh, and I just saw that the Wikipedia link you posted above shows the PS3 as another possible target platform for ArmA2... Of course Placebo probably knows best. Anyways, that's the kind of game I'd probably rather play on the PC for better control - or is there any console out actually that supports a track ir???

The Wii's lack in not even being able to play normal even video dvds is a big minus.

If I come off as a smartass here , I don't mean to, but I feel like I need to respond to this as it is a pet peeve of mine right now - I have 2 DVD players at home, and that's not counting the two PC's that can play DVD's and my roomate's Xbox 360 that does as well. DVD players can now be had for under $40 - Honestly, at this point I'm very happy I saved some cash for the fact that they decided not to include DVD playback in the Wii - it would make as much sense as wanting to buy a toaster and having to pay extra because all available toasters now come with blenders integrated.

Personally I'm very happy to have a web browser instead smile_o.gif (and a little bit perplexed now that I realize the 360 doesn't do this - you would think IE on an Xbox would make more sense than Opera on a Nintendo).

As far as Blu Ray / HD-DVD, I have had some experience with both through work, and while they're nice when they work as they should, I'm generally not impressed - That and neither format is guaranteed to survive yet smile_o.gif.