Sign in to follow this  
Panda-PL-

Rtm animations in cfgmodels>animations

That's rather a question to staff, because I haven't seen it done by anyone yet.

Ok, a short question: if and how can I use an RTM format animation in Animations section of cfgModels for a model of weapon?

I am trying to make a C-mag with cartridges visible from behind, animating it by normal config method seems too complex.

@Panda[PL]... That's a good question, one which I don't have a definitive answer for myself.

My gut feeling is probably, no, but it could just as easily be yes, as I personally haven't tried it as yet or researched that in any way.

I can't think at the moment of a reason why one couldn't...

Obviously, bdfy has tried it and found it didin't work - but experience tells me that more than often there is a cunning plan just waiting there to have a tail stuck on it and called a weasel.

Buildings, destruction class can have rtm's as well btw.

Actually maybe there could be some kind of conversion tool to make a series of Animation entries (just to copy-paste the controller=... and it would be ready) of rotation and translation out of an rtm file? I think this is what the file contains (there is a Biki page somewhere with description of format). Unfortunately I'm not skillfull enougth to make one and the use would be quite limited.

you lost me a little... maybe you could provide a bit more detail...

I'm very familiar with the rtm format... it, as you say is well documented and not hard.

each transformation matrix in the rtm file is for a given selection. it is a true transform in the sense it is the matrix resultant of combining translate, rotate and scale matrices together. SO, yes in theory, you could reverse these matrices out of the 'combined' one and thereby 'retrieve' the three portions I think, not 100% sure on that.

Then you could work out what the translation matrix did and the rotation matrix did to the selection and replicate that in the form of rotate and translate user anims. detailed via the config. However, IF there was any scaling going on in the RTM matrix you wouldn't be able to replicate that in the config anims 'cause they currently only do 'hide', 'rotate' and 'translate'...

The matrix manipulation functions in the scripting functionality in O2PE is available and if one had an RTM loaded against a model one could probably use the in-built scripting to 'get' the rotate and translate 'values' at every frame probably easier than writing a specific 'tool' to 'read' and RTM and turn it into a text file of translates and rotates...

dunno, if any of this is what you were thinking about? lol

as you say the use would probably be quite limited...

The matrix manipulation functions in the scripting functionality in O2PE is available and if one had an RTM loaded against a model one could probably use the in-built scripting to 'get' the rotate and translate 'values' at every frame probably easier than writing a specific 'tool' to 'read' and RTM and turn it into a text file of translates and rotates...

dunno, if any of this is what you were thinking about? lol

Wow. Didn't know that. Yeah that would probably do.

BTW: there is a "scale" type animation aswell, not just "move" and "rotate". It's just not used so far by anyone because there was no need for it.

Well, there is the easiest way still: just use numeric imput in O2 to move stuff around and write down the values frame after frame. Then edit them into propper file.

Thanks for your thoughts Synide.