Sign in to follow this  
RomanB

New island editing tool. new model editing tool.

All I can say is: WOW, this is promising! Probably old news, but I have been away from playing OFP some time. I also heard that BIS / CM will improve and even replace the net code, but it will take a while. OFP 2 ?

Hmm, there are no screenshots of the editors (as far as I can see) and editing the islands can be done through hex-editing wrp editing. So do they actually have tools or are they just hex-editing?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ Feb. 26 2002,21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm, there are no screenshots of the editors (as far as I can see) and editing the islands can be done through hex-editing wrp editing. So do they actually have tools or are they just hex-editing?<span id='postcolor'>

i guess its just an hex editing tool as far as i can see and BIS didnt released anything so i doubt there is a real landscape editor besides this easy to use tool for non programmers

If you take a look at the screenshots that you can see that they have only changed a couple of hex values (probably using the wrp format description written by an OF fan and available on OFeditingcenter). There is no editor, if there would be one: where's the screenshot?

All

No hex-editing. It's Wrp-Editor (application).

No documentation. All info from debugging OperationFlashpoint.exe.

Editor screenshots will be posted on Monday 4-March-2002.

To all OFP fans and MOD makers!

Don't be dejected about these news: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;t=7280

We are together, pals. You will get our tools for MOD making anyway! Schedule time of tools releasing is not changed.

very nice!

can you build foxholes, trenches, and locations where you can drive tanks in to dig them in? thanks!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Mar. 04 2002,16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">very nice!

can you build foxholes, trenches, and locations where you can drive tanks in to dig them in? thanks!<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, the engine doesnt allow that... the landscape is made of ~5 meter "blocks" and you cannot make smaller changes to it, so the smallest trench you can do is 10 meters wide..

RomanB: What you guys are doing is great and I really admire and thank you. But can you give us some more information to how your wrp editor works? Can you for example select one square and changes it's height using a simple mouse interface or do you have to enter in the y values? Can you start from scratch or just from an existing island? Would it be possible to make a river using your lake making tecnique that cuts right across an island? What about textures for the islands? What is your progress with adding models, all I see is a cube and that could be made by using obj>p3d or manually hex'ing the verices of a simple object.

Armourdave, thank you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you for example select one square and changes it's height using a simple mouse interface or do you have to enter in the y values? <span id='postcolor'>

There are field for enter exact Y-value, mouse slider, and +/- buttons, to change vertex height.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you start from scratch or just from an existing island? <span id='postcolor'>

There are menu "File->New" and "File->Open". Also you can import landscape mesh.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would it be possible to make a river using your lake making tecnique that cuts right across an island?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't understand question.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about textures for the islands<span id='postcolor'>

Do you want to know: can WrpEdit edit textures? Answer: No. You have nice official tool TexView.exe for that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is your progress with adding models, all I see is a cube and that could be made by using obj>p3d or manually hex'ing the verices of a simple object.<span id='postcolor'>

I know p3d-format. I can create any (almost) model. I don't have the time. Check project news for P3dEdit tool and others.

PitViper

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can you build foxholes, trenches, and locations where you can drive tanks in to dig them in?<span id='postcolor'>  

Lanscape is a mesh 256x256 cells (squares). Each cell edge is 50.0 (really don't know unit of measurement, you can see focused rectangle under mouse pointer on screenshot). Therefore total landscape is 12800.0x12800.0 (12800.0=50.0x256). Each cell is two polygons. Order of vertex is constant. Each map square edge is 128.0 (100 map squares Aa...Jj, 100x128.0=12800.0).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RomanB @ Mar. 04 2002,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would it be possible to make a river using your lake making tecnique that cuts right across an island?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't understand question.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about textures for the islands<span id='postcolor'>

Do you want to know: can WrpEdit edit textures? Answer: No. You have nice official tool TexView.exe for that.<span id='postcolor'>

First one: can we make entire rivers? Can we make them have "shoreline" instead of the edge (not really smooth, but not big squares in one direction)? Can we make em across the entire island (probably, what would stop it?)

Secondly: I dont think he refered to textures themselves, rather, can we add/change them on a map? If we can make new maps, we need new textures. Otherwise its no point of making a map. Can one make an new mountain with mountain textures on everon for instance, by just altering the texture on the tile and raising it? In short: What about tile texture editing?

Each map square is 128x128 meters. Does this mean that each cell edge of 50 is half a meter (0.50x256=128)?

If so, wouldn't trenches be possible?

theavonlady,

If map square is 128.0x128.0 meters, then cell is 50.0x50.0 meters wink.gif

RomanB: I'm sorry I didn't ask the questions correctly..I'll try again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would it be possible to make a river using your lake making tecnique that cuts right across an island?<span id='postcolor'>

In your pictures you have a lake. Would it be possible to lower the vertices from one side of the map to the other so you have a river cutting the island in two? Basically, are rivers now possible?

what I ment by this is can you apply the textures to the islands with your tool? do you apply textures square by square or by some other manor?

I'll check you forum, I'm guessing it will probally answer my questions.

Armourdave,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In your pictures you have a lake. Would it be possible to lower the vertices from one side of the map to the other so you have a river cutting the island in two? Basically, are rivers now possible?<span id='postcolor'>

There is the "ugly" lake smile.gif. You can make whatever you want, but for the best result you should not change adjoined vertices heights too much.

Dawdler, Armourdave,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First one: can we make entire rivers? Can we make them have "shoreline" instead of the edge (not really smooth, but not big squares in one direction)? Can we make em across the entire island (probably, what would stop it?)<span id='postcolor'>

You can change only height of vertex (Y-coord). All squares "in one direction". See cell's vertices A,B,C,D:

AB

CD

There are two polygons: ABD and DCA. No others.

If Y-coord of vertex is less than zero, then you get water (you must change flags of surface type also).

You can set all vertices heights as -50.0, for example. I.e. you can make sea. But, is there very interesting map? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Secondly: I dont think he refered to textures themselves, rather, can we add/change them on a map? If we can make new maps, we need new textures. Otherwise its no point of making a map. Can one make an new mountain with mountain textures on everon for instance, by just altering the texture on the tile and raising it? In short: What about tile texture editing?<span id='postcolor'>

You can assign any textures to any cell. Landscape has "texture names list". Each cell has texture index to this list.

but we'll be able to edit a whole new island with the tool ?

if yes , what are the size limitations ?

ran,

You can create whole new island, "from zero", with your own textures, objects and flags. Size of map is 12800.0x12800.0 (meters?), it's fixed.

Thanks for the answering the questions RomanB.

By the whole ABCD thing, do you mean each square(cell) is just 2 triangles?  So you can have diagonal ridges as well as north/south east/west?

hmmmm very interesting

i will say it frankly : first i believed that you were a bunch of stupid dreamin' newbies , but now ...........

BRRRRRAAAVOOOOO you rock guys

when will it be released ? during march , but when ??