Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Sahrani electrical grids

Can these scripts be executed serverside? I'm thinking that you could use Doolittle's GSC on a dedi server to make all missions use this.

(for those that don;t know it Doolittle's GSC lets you call scripts and commands in an SQF on the server. The scripts and commands are then applied to any mission run on that server).

Thanks everyone for your comments so far!

@Pillage - I will keep that in mind if I go the addon route

@TRexian -
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I could even see people using generators for local, base-sized compounds.
    I agree...I give instructions on how to do that for airports and the like.

@Shins-

I'm not sure, Doolittle would probably have to shed more light on it. My initial thought would be "no" I think. The reason is that it seems that Doolittle's GSC, if I understand correctly, is mostly intended for a script that only needs to run once per client. In order for SEG to work as intended three of the five scripts in the pack are executed at varying times by triggers depending on associated power events (a substation being damaged) and actions (manually turning power off/on) that occur in the mission. I'm not sure this could be properly implemented with GSC...but I am always open to ideas and testing so I will look into it for you.

In early development of SEG, it only consisted of a single script which would probably be more compatible with GSC, but, I could not make SEG truly MP/JIP compatible without adding more scripts to assist with managing the required public variables and broadcasting them.

-Thanks again all!
    LoyalGuard
    Former OFPEC Editors Staff Member | Former ACE1 Dev Team Member
    My ArmA Projects
    "...brain-hurting expressions of realism like Loyalguard’s functioning Chernarus Electrical Grid." -PC Gamer

Excellent. You should sell this one to BIS. It would somehow extend and complete their ambience.

Version 1.01 Released
    (Minor Setup Fix)

There was a small setup issue for mission makers with regards to the Description.ext file and class CfgSounds only if other custom sounds were being included in the mission. This has been permanently fixed. First post has been updated with changelog and link to new version (v1.01). I apologize for any inconvenience. Changelog is repeated below:

Changelog

Version 1.01
    -Adjusted how custom sounds for SEG are included in the mission maker's Description.ext file to avoid conflict with other potential custom sounds. See "Mission Maker Instructions" Step 3 in SEG_README.txt.

I tried adding this to a slightly modified version of Evolution for our 506th servers, and after i added this script, it wiped every player's score when they changed roles.

IE: I joined as a Rifleman in 1-1-A, got 30 points.
    I changed to an Engineer in 1-1-Whatever, and when i finished reloading, i was back to 0.

This doesn't happen without this script =/

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by (lebson506th @ Jan. 07 2008,18:54)
    I tried adding this to a slightly modified version of Evolution for our 506th servers, and after i added this script, it wiped every player's score when they changed roles.

IE: I joined as a Rifleman in 1-1-A, got 30 points.
    I changed to an Engineer in 1-1-Whatever, and when i finished reloading, i was back to 0.

This doesn't happen without this script =/

Thoughts?
    I am sorry that it is causing some problems. Perhaps there is a conflict with the join in progress code (that would seem to be the first place to look). I'll get back to you as soon as possible!

*EDIT*: Update

I think I have found the conflict. I think it has to do with multiple instances of the onPlayerConnected command. Both Evo and my SEG script-pack use it. On the Biki (TalknPlayerConnected), it was suggested that it can only be used once per mission. If so, SEG's instance is probably interfering with or preventing Evo's from doing what it needs to do to retrieve a player's previous score (if any). A solution is the works and hopefully in place in the next 24 hrs.

Version 1.05 Released
    (Additional Minor Setup Fix)

This release corrects possible code conflicts for JIP players. There has been no change in the functionality of the script pack.

It appears that in ArmA there can only be one instance of the onPlayerCommand in a mission regardless if they are both in the init.sqf or seperate script files. If the onPlayerConnected command is used anywhere else in the mission only one of the commands will be executed. This will most likely lead to an incomplete JIP update or other conflict with onPlayerConnected dependencies.

In order to avoid such problems I have changed how the SEG JIP update script is executed. The changes I have implemented will also require the mission maker to make some small adjustments in how SEG is integrated into a mission. The additional steps are included in the review SEG_README.txt included with the download.

I have tested this fix extensively on a multiple client connected dedicated server with the included demo mission. I have also integrated SEG into some other popular persistent missions that use onPlayerConnected as described above without difficulty or loss of function.

If you do not use onPlayerConnected in your mission and are already using SEG, there is no need to update your mission to Seg 1.05. However, all new missions with SEG or missions using onPlayerConnected should use v 1.05 to ensure full compatibility.

If you have any questions on how to incorporate this latest version in your mission or any questions on SEG please let me know!

Possible Future Releases
    As previewed by the ArmA 1.09 beta patch, some new possibilities for SEG may open up to be able to include the option to repair/re-build workstations. This may be possible due to this fix: 5164 - Fixed: Building ruins were not visible for JIP-ed players. I am still looking into it and will post updates if relevant.

Does this by any chance work with the CAA1 release of sahrani for arma2?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12