Thread: Mission editor: randon placement

Is there any way to have units placed at random on a map each time a self-made scenario is played?

edit: just noticed the typo in topic title. It is meant to read 'random', of course

There is no probability of presence option in the Elite editor.
    The only way to do it would be to make the mission on the pc and then port it across to the xbox.
    It sounds much harder than it actually is

Or put a whole bunch of dudes on Guard around the map? Not really random but you get some pretty varied encounters that way.

Quote Originally Posted by (Coffin Joe @ Dec. 05 2007,12:10)
    Or put a whole bunch of dudes on Guard around the map? Not really random but you get some pretty varied encounters that way.
    Hmmm, two interesting alternatives.

@Denz: Very briefly, can you set out the limitations involved in porting PC missions to Xbox, or will the Xbox accept any mission made on PC?

@Coffin Joe: Do the units on 'Guard' need to be within sight of the unit they are guarding (eg, can I have a unit half way across the map on 'guard'?)

Thanks alot for the responses so far, guys.

Edit: 'Denz: I've just begun reading through the porting pc missions to xbox thread which should help answer my question.

gabrieladepaula did a good porting tutorial find it here - link copied from porting thread
    Keep in mind the poxy amount of RAM the xbox has so don't get carried away placing units/objects- did anyone upgrade the RAM on their xbox?
    Cutscenes have to be brief. The camera commands act differently so don't do anything too fancy.
    Everything else is fair game ***
    Most missions will work yes. I even got a couple of mfCTI missions working ok-ish. Had to scale them down a little.
    Red Hammer was working well, except I couldn't get it to autorun from the campaign screen.

A unit on a "Guard" wp will hold that position. They will respond to reports of enemies elsewhere on the map.
    For example, you had a Cobra on a "Guard" wp and a unit reports "T72 at 12 o'clock" the Cobra would head towards that direction, take out the tank and then return to it's previous position.
    If several units are on "Guard" then only the most suitable unit will respond depending on the type/strength/distance to said enemy unit
    Sometimes if you annihilate a unit really quickly they won't have got off a report hence no guarding unit will come so yes, I suppose that does add a randomizer to the mission ***
    I like the ingenious methods Elite players came up with to get around the limitations of the editor. I used to use the "trigger trick" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by (Denz @ Dec. 06 2007,06:28)
    gabrieladepaula did a good porting tutorial
    I like the ingenious methods Elite players came up with to get around the limitations of the editor. I used to use the "trigger trick" all the time.
    Thanks for thew Guard WP explanation, Denz.

'Trigger Trick', I take it you refer to the technique in this thread:
    http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....trigger

I'll give it a read. Many thanks for the ideas.

My acount expired in 4 shared. So I uploaded the files again.

This is the porting tutorial
    Tutorial on porting missions

This is a link of two missions I made on the PC and ported to xbox. Use the profile Gabriel or change the profile as explained in the tutorial.
    Mission for Xbox

I'm Porting a lot of missions I have found on the net. I will post them when its ready. See you guys.