Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

Yoma's Arma Addon Synchroniser

Yoma,

I have a bunch of computer-inept players. They are great players, don't get me wrong, but they are just confused by add-ons in general. Your tool is great, but I'm still having problems getting them to understand how it works... they just want it to work. I'm losing a lot of good players because they are getting frustrated with add-ons and their inability to manage them.

I know I had suggested it a while back, but is there any chance that you could make a "lite" version of this great tool?

Something simple and easy. Less options, and thus less to confuse my less computer-orientated players with.

Something simple that allows them to paste in a URL to the config and the application then downloads and applies the config and then downloads all of the addons and launches the game with the addons and automatically connects to the server. Once it has the config loaded, it remembers it forever.

Yoma,

I have a bunch of computer-inept players.  They are great players, don't get me wrong, but they are just confused by add-ons in general.  Your tool is great, but I'm still having problems getting them to understand how it works... they just want it to work.  I'm losing a lot of good players because they are getting frustrated with add-ons and their inability to manage them.

I know I had suggested it a while back, but is there any chance that you could make a "lite" version of this great tool?

Something simple and easy.  Less options, and thus less to confuse my less computer-orientated players with.

Something simple that allows them to paste in a URL to the config and the application then downloads and applies the config and then downloads all of the addons and launches the game with the addons and automatically connects to the server.  Once it has the config loaded, it remembers it forever.

My answer to this is quite simple:

If you're players are too stupid to use my tool (after a bit of efford), you're players are too stupid to play with in the first place.

If you think the efford is still too big, then maybe playing with nice addons is not for your players.

Might sound a bit harsh, but in the end it's the truth.

Some people want everything, instantly,for free, with no efford at all.

They want all the benefits of complexity without having to think one second.

My tool makes downloading addons plenty easy, if you're not prepared to invest 5-10 minutes into learning how it works, then my answer is very short: though luck!

Then again just showing them some pictures of nice addons might spice up their appetite.

By the way, adding your server to the default server list will ease the configuration A LOT ;-), I'll look into that soon.

By the way, adding your server to the default server list will ease the configuration A LOT ;-), I'll look into that soon.

I hear ya on the stupid stuff.  In my experiences (not just with ArmA but IT in general) I have found it most successful to use the method that can generate the least amount of problems and questions.  As streamlined as possible.

Just let me know when you get my server added to the list as it will help me out a bunch!  And then I'll have the people click "update".

Additionally, I'm going to make a youtube video of the latest version demonstrating how easy it is.  I got 2 of my players that were stubborn to take the leap of faith and they were on the server in 10 minutes telling me how easy and awesome your tool is.  So I think a video  would show the others just how easy it is to use.

And I think I might have to have you look at that one guy who is having problems with Vista.  I'll talk to him.  Let me know what information you'll need from me.  FYI, this guy really seems like a lunk-head.

I hear ya on the stupid stuff.  In my experiences (not just with ArmA but IT in general) I have found it most successful to use the method that can generate the least amount of problems and questions.  As streamlined as possible.

Just let me know when you get my server added to the list as it will help me out a bunch!  And then I'll have the people click "update".

Additionally, I'm going to make a youtube video of the latest version demonstrating how easy it is.  I got 2 of my players that were stubborn to take the leap of faith and they were on the server in 10 minutes telling me how easy and awesome your tool is.  So I think a video  would show the others just how easy it is to use.

And I think I might have to have you look at that one guy who is having problems with Vista.  I'll talk to him.  Let me know what information you'll need from me.  FYI, this guy really seems like a lunk-head.

Again if I get more info on his problem i'd love to look into it.

I'll see to deploying a new version with your server tonight.

Also, if people allready have my tool installed they will need to click "restore default server list" in the settings.

(The settings aren't overwritten with every update, so people don't lose their settings)

You are absolutely correct about the "streamlining" thing, but sometimes things can only be streamlined to a certain degree, if you want to ensure people don't mess up by accident.

@Yuka:

Maybe this guide could serve as an example:

OAC:Project#.23_I._Download_and_play

That could work.  I'll go ahead and modify it for my needs and post it on my website.  Who should I ask for permission to copy that content?

I'm still going to make a video though... just because I want to.  Hehe.  Maybe tonite.

Quote[/b] ]Again if I get more info on his problem i'd love to look into it.

What information do you need from him to get the ball rolling?

Logfiles?

Errormessages?

Installed .NET version?

Shoe-size?

Maybe some contact information so i can contact him directly.

**New version**

Only thing new is inclusion of Yuka's server details.

@Yuka

No permission needed for our guide. wink_o.gif

**New version**

Only thing new is inclusion of Yuka's server details.

Cool thanks! It now makes it one step easier to get my players to use it...

@ Q

Would you guys at least like a mention? I can put a link up. I have no problem doing so.

I have used your tool for "some" time now and I think only one thing is missing.

It got more obvious with the release of the ACE Island beta 4.

In this great addon they use a lot of different addons-folders.

Is there any way I can easily manage this.

I get this in my modfolders.txt:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@ace_islands\

@ace_islands\addons\

Dta\userconfig\

Dta\userconfig\ace_island_config\

Dta\userconfig\ace_island_texture_pictures\

I need to update the html so that everyone understand that they need to download ALL these folders, just to get 1 addon working.

Is there any possibility that you can "group" this? So the enduser just have to download 1 addon and not 5 addons or press "download all".

Best retard NoBrainer

I realise this is a "problem".

I'm currently working on a full blown V2 off the app, this is one of the features i have in mind.

For example, i'm trying to make sure serveradmins can mark certain modfolders as "required". Then the user will have an option to download all addons, all required addons etc.

I allso intend to use this behaviour for launching purposes. This way the tool could check if you are launching with at least all the required mods.

However the development of this new tool has just taken off and it will take a while untill it get's usefull.

Actual grouping functionallity might make it a bit too complex i think, but i'll consider it.

Also my goal for the new tool would be to have a single download windows listing all mods and add filtering functionality to that.

I cannot get this to work at all.

I have Net 2.0 because every time I try to install it, The installer says I already have it. When I install the yoma tool it goes fine, but when I try to start it up, There is a box that flashes really quick and disappears. When I go in t my task manager. It says its running but its no were to be seen on my desktop.

do you have a black icon in the quick launch area in the bottom

right next to the clock?

Euhm lol, it must be minimised to tray icon indeed...