Sign in to follow this  
TheJay

Keyword: Modular

One of the things I don't like about ArmA's weapons is the lack of flexibility. I want to use an M4 with an ACOG scope but I don't want a M203 or put a silencer on any other weapon other than an M4 with a Reflex scope. That's not possible because a weapon hasn't been configured like that. I would like to see modular weapon systems in ArmA 2. Instead of the preconfigured weapons like those in ArmA, weapons that you can choose which mods they have on the weapons. Even the ability to change the mods mid mission as long as they have them in their inventory. Not every weapon can add mods, only those which have been built with the required rail systems may use them. Some examples are M16A4, M4A1, and some variants of the M249. This would add a lot of variety in the weapon configurations used in the game.

Example attachments:

SOPMOD's

The current system in arma isn't really workable. An ACE ammo crate has far too many variants in it - e.g.

M4

M4203

M4 SD

M4 EOTECH

M4 Aimpoint

M4 ACOG

M4 ACOG 203

etc

Making the list in the crate massive. Just give us the basic weapon and seperate boxes for sight's, supressors and GL's so we can configure the weapon how we want it (plus a workable leaf sight for the 203's).

This would make things so much easier and gets my vote too :)

Oh well, it seems we will be seeing this only in the "addon/script" way :(

+1 from me! Then the modders could just create the accesories instead of an entire weapon.

And I would also like to be able to add or remove these accessories during the game!

I am not sure if most of you know how arma 1 has the files layout...

if i am right, and the system regarding configs and weapons hasn't changed much from arma1 to arma2, this system here cannot work, since a weapon model includes also the sights, and there is no way of adding those AFTER midgame (as in combining a weapon model and a sights model).

BUT, i agree that there should at least be a scripted way of doing it, that should be coming from BIS, and not from a 3rd party addon. If you check SPON Attachments (i think this is how it's called), this deals exactly with that.

So overall, i think what is needed (in the case the system is the same as in arma1), is to have the main weapon as primary selection, and then you could add on top of that (even if that would actually change your weapon model altogether). No field stripping etc for me, but crate usage (if these model are available) would do.

I know making such a system is possible(working with arma1 layout that would probably be transferred to AA2), but i doubt we'll see it on AA2 release

What about like in flashpoint? I remember being able to attach and detatch an aimpoint with one of the mods. Or are the files too different?

Even the ability to change the mods mid mission as long as they have them in their inventory.

The general ability is available now as long as in the mod pack all possible combinations are present.

It is then up to the mission maker if he allows to modify waepons in the field which is unusual for some fittings.

maybe ace 2 will have these features

maybe

What about like in flashpoint? I remember being able to attach and detatch an aimpoint with one of the mods. Or are the files too different?

Yup. some FFUR (2008?) + SLX combination had it, if my memory serves me right.

Then again if that feature haven't got into ArmA, i guess it's not possible... Then again many features haven't got into ArmA from OFP, i guess.

Yeah. I want AK with attachable shovel and crowbar. Option to attach RPG-29 too would be great. With thermal optics on top of it naturally.