Sign in to follow this  
Average Joe

High Detail Texture Project

Would it be possible to make the terrain infinitely flat on edges like in Sakakah map? And the edge-cliffs less sloped.

It looks a bit awkward, like if it was cut with a knife.

Could you ask him (allie) what program he uses?

I have some DTED pictures of Afghanistan, and I want to convert them into usable terrain.

EDIT:

oh crap, I didn't know he made it without a satellite image XD.

How did he generate that?

Here we are again.

Ok update on the borderlite map.

FINAL RELEASE WILL BE CALLED "TOLAFARUSH"

I'm still working on it and it is almost finished, there have been alot of changes made over the last few weeks, The road network is greatly extended. At least 5 X more road.

Theres more settlements around, most connected by roads.

The airport has been updated with some more buildings and bit better layout.

Added a second base(helicopters only).

Couple settlements and bases connected to the powergrid (powerlines).

For now 3 bridges added to be able to cross the deep canyons.

Theres still a lot to do, but really we have the end in sight.

I will keep u guys posted, but again, wont be long.

Greetings,

Allie

It sounds good. Will you make the land go on forever like on Sakakah?

Don't want to see ocean when I fly or go near the edge smile_o.gif

I have both versions here, i will see whats the best option.

I myself am not really happy about the everlasting desert, i cant figure out the texture color, theres to much difference between the island itself and the endless desert, its looking bit weird, light colored desert with a big colored rectangular in the middle.

But again like i said, i have them both, will see whats best, or maybe give them both.

This is still my first island which i started to learn the proggies, after all the test island was so nice i decided to make a release out of it. Not that i was planning on releasing this version because i wanted to go bigger.

This island is only 10x10km size, i want to make a high detailed one of 40x40km.

For this island i had to shoot 150 pictures in google earth and glue them together, this resulted in a PNG of 400Mb, so imagine the work for a 40x40km island, it will need about 600 pictures of google earth to get the high detail.

So thats why i decided to finnish and release this one first, if this one is completly done i will start the 40x40 km desert one.

Later.

Allie

Ok this is it, i have enough of this island.

It will have some bugs, but for now i can live with it. I might update it one day, but for now THIS IS IT !

If you want you can be busy for years to make an island, there's always something, somewhere, or somebody even smile_o.gif

You guys have to do it with this:

ftp://ftp.fraghaus.com/arma/updates/tolafarush.rar

At least i can start with my new island.

I know theres still stuff not right, but i got enough of this map.

Sorry bout the intro movie, i still dont understand that stuff.

Laters,

Allie

Sweet downloading now. Shame your probably not going to work on this much but good luck on your other projects.

Quote[/b] ]I know theres still stuff not right, but i got enough of this map.

Sorry bout the intro movie, i still dont understand that stuff

Minor things which pale in to insignificance to the rest of the addon.

The new version is an excellent improvement over the previous releases. The extra buildings and roads are a great addition. Having a bridge, some vegetation, power lines, etc really add to it. What there is also seems to be better placed as well. For example, the road in the north-east is nice, running above and parallel to the dried up river bed, and having a shortcut through a village and back onto it just south of this. Just one example but the whole feel of the island is improved.

Its sad to hear that you are finishing with it but then again I dont know how else you would improve it. It still has the good performance and open desert feel and anymore additions may compromise this. So great job and look forward to your next island.

Nice work on this map mate ..... didn't turn out too bad at all thumbs-up.gif

Interesting effect ..... as the roads trail into the distance, it looks almost like red sand has blown across them.