Sign in to follow this  
RN Malboeuf

Projekt Gardinas Island

Quote[/b] ]Raster, 11m.

(Terrain)grid = 11 (i guess)

Sahrani has 50.

That should be the reason. notworthy.gif

Wow I wouldn't have thought it, but that terrain undulation makes a WORLD of difference in combat. Really Really significantly changes the outdoor combat. At first glance I thought this island looked a bit boring (I know it wasn't meant to be complete or anything...) but this is really really usable and for the most part gives a better playing experience then sara. Not to mention the performance is great. If this tool can generate this kind of stuff, its great news.

very nice good fun with AI on this ...

Great Island but can anyone get a mission to run on a dedicated server with this island......my hardDisks go nuts when I try.

Quote[/b] ]can anyone get a mission to run on a dedicated server with this island

I tried too and the server just hangs creating a massive report file, here is a sample.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">*snip*Unrecognized texture type '.png': 'gardinasisland\data\layers\m_010_013_lco.png'

Unrecognized texture type '.png': 'gardinasisland\data\layers\m_010_013_lco.png'

Unrecognized texture type '.png': 'gardinasisland\data\layers\m_010_013_lco.png'

Unrecognized texture type '.png': 'gardinasisland\data\layers\m_010_013_lco.png' *snip*

Damn shame, it's a nice island.

Come on there must be a nice enough German person out there who speaks fluent English! Pleaseeeee translate this fine peice of work! sad_o.gif

What manual do you mean?

The posting itself from Alex.Sworm or the linked pdf file for Visitor3?

Great Stuff Alex. We all love you!!  whistle.gif  pistols.gif

That island is GREAT for a DC3/Hercules Landing.

Quote[/b] ]The program is yes, but the manual is not

There is no manual.

If Alex.Sworn needs some help with fixing the typos in his menus and to have a multilanguage version of the tool and the manual he can contact me anytime.

Btw, sorry to read about the relation with BIS, Alex. I can understand how you feel.

Would be nice if BIS could pay a little more attention to addon projects. The tools are still not final and have some bugs and missing features. Is BIS afraid of better stuff -made by community?

Some more communication would be better... even to show on what they're working now - related to ArmA1. confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The program is yes, but the manual is not

There is no manual.

If Alex.Sworn needs some help with fixing the typos in his menus and to have a multilanguage version of the tool and the manual he can contact me anytime.

Btw, sorry to read about the relation with BIS, Alex. I can understand how you feel.

what happened between alex and bis? huh.gif

He complains in his posting about the lack of support from BI regarding the documentation of the file formats and such. And that BI declined his offer to help them correcting bugs like the floating trees on the QG islands.

Just tested it, Its AWESOME !

Great JOB!

Great Feature for the future maps! wink_o.gif

Since many are intersted in these tools (myself included) I took the liberty to tanslate the text on  Alex Sworn forum.

Quote[/b] ]

Weekend is over and I desperatly need a vacation.  I still kept working though.  Work

continues on the Island tool.  Since many people took interest and many questions were raised

as well es expectations, now we have something to look at.

This process works as followed.  From the sattelite data and a nice arial picture sattelite

map and terrain is generated.  It only takes mere seconds.  Now the program dictates how

many and which Detail maps (textures? rem. Honcho) are used.  The Layer map is generated

automaticly.  The config and the collection of the other data is generated as well (Texture

config for the textures etc.). The result is  a folder with the data and a file folder in

which the other parts are saved.

Now its possible to draw on the satelite map, every colour can be assigned to a specific

group or a single object.  Whole regions can be automaticly placed with objects (forrest

etc.).  This works with the predefined ground colours of the map.  

Further its possible to place single p3ds, like in Visitor (no enhancement here).  But a

clear benefit is the tool to manualy terraform the ground.  Pick a point, enter the value

and click with the mouse (this change can be best be compared to wrptool).  But further

enhancements regarding the terraforming are included, like smoothen the hights and hight

dependency based on neighbouring points (kind of like erosion option in wrptool rem.

Honcho).

This weekend I also added a funcional road tool.  With that it will be possible to finally

be able to place roads.  The BI tool doesnt seem to work.

Further I added a tool to duplicate objects (in coordenace to heading or xy, further options

are planned).  This is helpfull if you want to place objects in a row (landing lights).

Further tools are planned, like a tool that will allow the placement of fences.  Draw a line

free hand square, ring or elipse.

*Pictures showing sattelite maps and their implementation into ARMA*

What I always wanted to say.

I really got the press the fact that its frustating that we dont get any support from BI.  

Questions are not answered, we recieve no information.  May it be formats, files or anything

else.  Even the offers, like the fixing of things on the QG island (floating objects, etc.)

are taken up friendly but forgotten 3 days later, and noone seems to remember.  Even offers

to create whole new islands are one day regarded so the other day so.  A well, just leave it

be.  Even BI should realize that people are starting to get turned down and down feel like

creating anything anymore.  And it slowly gets impossible to keep on going.  Specially since

other firms are making tempting offers.

Great work Alex, would it be possible to get the sat and mask plus pew files from gardinas so I could try to get it working properly in a MP envioronment? It seems to good an island to not be used in MP.

For the moment already on the island one works. Roads are built and many other small objects are added. As soon as the island is finished this is freely given. Also the Vistor files.

I renewed also the data to the ASMap.

A new version of the guidance is also in work. This will be in English then on German and.

roadtoolpix.png

http://www.armabase.de/cms/alexsworn/FTP/Tools/roadtoolpixxl.png

Hi Alex. I just tried out this map, and I can see that this method will be one of the most important future map developments in ArmA and ArmA2. The forested area is easily the most realistic I have seen, and I especially like the terrain detail in this area, ensuring that battles in the forest will be very interesting & realistic indeed. Congratulations. I look forward to any developments from you with great interest.

It will be a great test place for my planned forest fire addon wink_o.gif

this tool seems to be a major step forward. i hope BIS do extend support to you as this kind of innovation can only help the whole userbase.

really looking forward to things! biggrin_o.gif

this is impressive

do you think BI have translation problems and thats why they ignore us?

This looks better and better smile_o.gif Let the huge islands come, now !

However, i'm a bit confused : is this already available for download, or is it restricted to a selected bunch of beta-testers ?

Anyway, excellent tool with very promising features. Thanks for your time and hard work ! Keep us informed...

Malick