Sign in to follow this  
RN Malboeuf

Projekt Gardinas Island

This evening I would like to direct your attention on a new program. I had the idea to simply write a program which takes graphical and SAS data to create an island.

I carried this idea for two years now and was finally able to finish it yesterday. The prototype created its first island and I would like to show you pictures of the program, but that wouldn't make much sense, because it's only

a command line program.

This island is created from NASA data of New York and a SAR data set of the DASA from America.

http://www.armabase.de/cms/alexsworn/FTP/Addons/GI.rar

smile_o.gif

Beautiful prospects for Christmas.

[im]http://www.armabase.de/cms/alexsworn/FTP/Addons/Lasamula01.png[/img] >100kb

more...

http://deadeye.pytalhost.com/manual/index.php?topic=251.msg319#msg319

Awesome! thumbs-up.gif

Played a bit arround with Visitor and importing islands from pictures ... it was just frustrating confused_o.gif

So this tool will definitly be some nice thingy!

Thx for this one!

Mfg Medicus smile_o.gif

Quite nice, the forest is large but not too dense, performance is good.

Now about the tool... i didnt get it, could someone elaborate on what it will do? Terrain shape, elevation or what?

I dont think I understand it 100% correctly but with this tool you can easily create an island with only a picture of the island and some data about the island itself. His program than combines all data to create the island according to the picture.

You can even add more things to it like a forrest or a desert but (and here I am not sure) you do it by including some seperate addon.

The example island showed has been created in a little over 2 and a half hours.

I stand corrected but this is what I understand of it  huh.gif

Sounds really very good to me, very impressive tool.

Great work Alex.Sworn  thumbs-up.gif

Alex.Sworn: do you play to release a new version of your first isle (samplemap?), the one with a big airbase and small villages?

I dont think I understand it 100% correctly but with this tool you can easily create an island with only a picture of the island and some data about the island itself. His program than combines all data to create the island according to the picture.

You mean it will create (almost) instant islands, without having to go thru the lengthy Visitor's process ? Sounds amazing.

Tried both the sample map and Gardina Island and I must say I'm impressed... The result is very good, and all that in 2 hours is just amazing...

Very interesting tool, indeed. It sounds great just to have a picture of real terrain and import it "easily" in ArmA.

I guess some rework of main island features is still needed, like object placement for example, but the time gained from such a tool makes it a must.

Malick

Wow, if thats mostly done with a Tool ... great work.

I did notice that relative to the size of the island the PBO file size is huge.

Looking at the island I suspect thats because of the closely undulating terrain (hence lots of data points) and the quite varied and mixed ground textures within close proximity.

And the swaying forrest! ... Cool, I don't remember BIS island trees swaying that much ... or it be just me tounge2.gif

But of all the demo islands ... someone has to work out how to make SMOOTH runways wink_o.gif

Somebody need to make a TUT, I am stupid with armed assault tools :/

By the way, I went through that island, it takes 15 minutes to drive from one end to another in a barracuda. Plus that island is absolutely beautiful. It looks very real.

WOW! This is a great!

Can you share some links as to where one might go to get the NASA data and the "SAR data set of the DASA" as you call it??

is the tool generating Arma or OFP islands?

I'm waiting for such a thing, I want BIG islands wink_o.gif

QuietMan

It may be noted, this island has a LOT, and I mean a -lot- more terrain undulation than Sahrani or Rahmadi. That means, good friends, that you can actually advance over an open field without automatically dying, as long as you keep your head down.

Try it yourselves, a couple of squads of AI against each other even over open terrain is suddenly a lot more fun. biggrin_o.gif And we all know ArmA AI was made for open terrain, not urban warfare. It's great fun.

inlove.gif This is an excellent tool, if it can produce beauties like this island. Good work, Alex!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Try it yourselves, a couple of squads of AI against each other even over open terrain is suddenly a lot more fun...

I actually did try it yesterday. But instead of "a couple of squads" I placed loads of infantry, about 200 to 300 men, plus armour and other armed vehicles and some air units. Was damn fun, even ran smoothly biggrin_o.gif

The fields may look rather flat from a distance, but when you are actually in them you can see plenty of space to hide in and use as cover. It can make for some great combat.