Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3 Quick Tutorial

Off-Topic picture removed.

Planck

Edited by Planck
Off-Topic

Bravo!

I wish you had posted this last friday as that would have saved me ALOT of time!! biggrin_o.gif Have figured all this out for myself by now.

BUT very good job! Will save alot of time and frustration for beginners!!

Yeah.... I got to the part where I make the .pbl in my terrain folder, and when I import it into visitor 3, it just says file not found.

EDIT

Never mind, I didn't know the text HAD to be named terrain.

Pain in the ass as it sounds finding DEM's and acording reference pictures/maps is even worse sad_o.gif .

But good job, thanks smile_o.gif .

edit:

There is also some good information/tips in other topics that would be worth posting in this thread, for now it would be nice if this could be pinned.

I have a 20 square kilometer tropical island chain, but the water level isn't right... Is there any way to raise the water level?

I have a 20 square kilometer tropical island chain, but the water level isn't right... Is there any way to raise the water level?

One easy way might be adjusting the minheight value in the pbl file (if you used grayscale.png method).

edit: you shouldnt have used this thread though confused_o.gif .

Yeah Hypno toad, best bet is to create a new thread where you'll get 100% dedication to your problems. smile_o.gif

O.K. Thanks anyway guys.

Great tutorial!

I ditched the island one, And now I have a 5000 kilometers 2... err country I guess.

I just want to see what happens when I load it smile_o.gif

AMAZING!

Ive been waiting to crack on with V3 for ages!!!

Thanks for spending the time to right up this tutorial Opteryx notworthy.gif

BTW... Have you thought of having a chat with Alex.Sworn? With both of your brains combined will all be laughing!!!

Once again thanks for the tutorial! smile_o.gif

Hey m8, I'm just Reading your tutorial, but i'm stuck in there:

Quote[/b] ]#Step 7: Save the .txt file as terrain.pbl Make sure you save it as a pbl format and not as "terrain.pbl.txt"

I trayed to change the .txt name to pbo, But i'm failed.

A maybe Stupid question, how I can change it to .pbl?  confused_o.gif.

Nono, not PBO but PBL.

Save THIS LINK and you get a ready pbl file. You can edit it in Notepad too if needed.

Yes thank you!

I had the wilbur thingy down allready and getting it into V3.

But the rest was completly huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif now im starting to

understand the way of doing things and also the order of when

to do which thing.

Also this helps me ALLOT with the rvmat stuff...

Will be working on my little island some more on sunday I think.

So roads dont work... What about runways?

Thanks again!

Hi guys i get this error stage 10.

#Step 10: Now we're going to go back to Project parameters again to edit the Texture Layers ( I don't know why but you can't do this when creating a new project..). Go to Tools--->Project parameters, here you'll see the same box as you saw moments ago, but this time you can edit the Texture Layers. Beneath the title "Texture Layers" there there's a small white box with a text that says "Base (active), click on that text and on it's right hand side there's a buttons which says Edit. Press edit and in the texture Size selector choose 50.0 x 50.0 m. Press "OK" and "OK" back in the Project parameters box again.

untitled7-1.jpg

Hi G_H_Play_AKA_BOSS, that is indeed strange. Have you tried downloading the new BI Editing Tool Suite Release Candidate 3? It has many bug fixes and was released today.

LINK

it mybe that your cell is 10 meters (shown in pic ) and you are rying to apply a 50x50m texture grid.

try 10x10 or 20x20 , if you can try to chose an xyz that is closer to the 50x50 cell you require .

it mybe that your cell is 10 meters (shown in pic ) and you are rying to apply a 50x50m texture grid.

try 10x10 or 20x20 , if you can try to chose an xyz that is closer to the 50x50 cell you require .

Yeah, I wrote this tut on the fly in about 7/8 hours so there's no guarantee the settings I used is any good.

Well i managed to sort that problem out cheers guys but im now having trouble in Import Terrain from picture lol, as i have saved the project as a .pew the texture as a png & also have saved the config as .pbl ,but when in visitor i can open my project maymap.pew thats fine but when trying to import the terrain from picture it does not seepng nor the .pbl.

Also am i right that i make & put the mymap folder in C:\Program Files\mymap.

And also did i need to make any changes regarding the config that you made that goes with the terrain.png that i need to know.

Also i do not know how to write a config so was assuming that the one thats on your tutoril is ok but i could be wrong.

Quote[/b] ]Well i managed to sort that problem out cheers guys but im now having trouble in Import Terrain from picture lol, as i have saved the project as a .pew the texture as a png & also have saved the config as .pbl ,but when in visitor i can open my project maymap.pew thats fine but when trying to import the terrain from picture it does not seepng nor the .pbl.

As I noted in the tutorial, the .pbl needs to be in the exact same directory as your png heightmap, also the part marked in blue here:

PNGfilename="<span style='color:#0000CC'>terrain.png</span>";

need to be the exact same as the name of your png.

Quote[/b] ]Also am i right that i make & put the mymap folder in C:\Program Files\mymap.

Nope, your map folder must be in the P:\ drive that is generated when installing Visitor.

Quote[/b] ]And also did i need to make any changes regarding the config that you made that goes with the terrain.png that i need to know.

It is not imperative first time around when learning no.

Quote[/b] ]Also i do not know how to write a config so was assuming that the one thats on your tutoril is ok but i could be wrong.

Assuming you project is named MyMap it is perfectly usable.

smile_o.gif

last thing is the config named like this ie.

cfg.pbl or just terrain.pbl

and this is ok.

class cfg

{

PNGfilename="terrain.png";

squareSize=20.000000;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=-07.420013;

maxHeight=876.810001;

};

last thing is the config named like this ie.

cfg.pbl or just terrain.pbl

and this is ok.

.pbl config name doesn't matter.

class cfg

{

PNGfilename="terrain.png";

squareSize=20.000000;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=-07.420013;

maxHeight=876.810001;

};

Looks okay as far as I can see.

Your pbl is named wrong. It needs to be terrain.pbl, same as the png file

Your pbl is named wrong. It needs to be terrain.pbl, same as the png file

Does it now? LOL my apologies, I seem to recall having named my .pbl something different from the png and it still worked, if that's not the case I'm sorry.

-edit-

Right, I did a quick test and I can confirm that the .pbl does NOT need to be named the same as the height map image.