Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3 Quick Tutorial

Nope I've got all that sorted in the raster department. Sorry I probably should have explained more clearly.

The error I'm getting is this:

error1e.jpg

My map raster directory is P:\CA\Uluru\data\Layers which contains 190 rvmat's with a code snipet of: (there are also the PAA files in there after it all got converted within buldozer)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ambient[]={0.900000,0.900000,0.900000,1.000000};

diffuse[]={0.900000,0.900000,0.900000,1.000000};

forcedDiffuse[]={0.020000,0.020000,0.020000,1.000000};

emmisive[]={0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000};

specular[]={0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000};

specularPower=0.000000;

class Stage0

{

texture="ca\uluru\data\Layers\S_003_004_lco.png";

texGen=3;

};

class Stage1

{

texture="ca\uluru\data\Layers\M_003_004_lco.png";

texGen=4;

};

class TexGen3

{

etc, etc, etc, etc...

What I was thinking is that because these rvmat's link to PNG's, that may be where the problem is coming from as Arma can't read those? I've tried deleting the PNG files from the layers folder as advised by someone else but no dice.

Thanks so much for the help guys

Oh yes hmm, I see. Have you added "rvmat" to the BinPBO list of files to pack?

48310634.jpg

I'm using cpbo and just extracted the PBO to check for the rvmat's which are all there.

I've just noticed that in the error is says file not located in "ca\uluru\data\..." and in my PBO file there is no "ca" folder. Could this be the problem? Because what I did was place my data folder and Uluru.wrp file into a new folder called "Uluru" in my P drive and then packed it.

Otherwise I have no clue.

Is your working directory inside the CA directory ?

If so, I don't do that and it works fine.

My working directory is in the root level of P: drive.

The CA directory is also there, but none of my project are inside.

My Project Preferences (Folders - Textures) is simply

"gnt_waterworld\data"

Folders - Objects I left blank

My RVMATs all come out like;

texture="gnt_waterworld2\data\trava_detail_nohq.png";

no "CA"

hey all, thanks for writing this tutorial opteryx, im just having some trouble, i cant get my satalite image to show up in visitor, it shows up fine in bulldozer though, its an 8 bit per channel .png, its 2048x2048, I've followed the tutorial pretty closely here are some of the settings

vishelp.th.jpg

thanks in advance for any help

hey all, thanks for writing this tutorial opteryx, im just having some trouble, i cant get my satalite image to show up in visitor, it shows up fine in bulldozer though, its an 8 bit per channel .png, its 2048x2048, I've followed the tutorial pretty closely here are some of the settings

thanks in advance for any help

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=65376&highlight=background+images ;)

Ok, followed tutorial to Quote

#Step 9: Okay, now you would probably want to view your terrain in the engine, if you go to Project--> Connect to Buldozer you should start up Buldozer

Now i get error http://img200.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56113_error_122_73lo.JPG and after that another error saying Shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data?)

Any ideas?

I've set up a project, created a terrain, imported it into the editor and created the satellite/mask images. However, Visitor 3 is crashing each time I attempt to use the "Import Satellite + Mask" function.

I am not 100% certain that I created the sat and mask images correctly but I think I did. From what I can tell, the files just need to be the same size as that specified in the project parameters screen's calculator. Also, the mask image is limited to the four RGB colors specified in the Layers.cfg file. Is that correct?

Can someone please review my settings and confirm that they are correct?

/***********************************/

terrain grid size: 512 x 512

terrain cell size: 10m

terrain size: 5120m x 5120m

sat image size: 2048 pixels

sat grid: 120

Base texture - size: 10m x 10m

sat segment: 120 (valid)

/***********************************/

I've reviewed my Layers.cfg files as well as all of my RVMAT files...as far as I can tell, the references are correct. One thing, I'm using PAA files extracted from existing PBO's. However, I updated all references accordingly.

Any suggestions?

Two quick things to check:

Satellite Images and Masks must be in 8-bit or else visitor will crash as you try to load up the satellite image.

When problem solving check the terrain, layers and all the rvmat files for file name errors.

Those are the things that were giving me problems when mine was crashing at the import.

Ok, followed tutorial to Quote

#Step 9: Okay, now you would probably want to view your terrain in the engine, if you go to Project--> Connect to Buldozer you should start up Buldozer

Now i get error http://img200.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56113_error_122_73lo.JPG and after that another error saying Shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data?)

Any ideas?

That happened with my install of BI Tools. I had to remove everything and reinstall, then everything went ok. Biggest problem is that actual latest v3.0.0 install doesn't upgrade older stuff and config errors appear. Usually the culprit is a non-working BinMake.

Two quick things to check:

Satellite Images and Masks must be in 8-bit or else visitor will crash as you try to load up the satellite image.

When problem solving check the terrain, layers and all the rvmat files for file name errors.

Those are the things that were giving me problems when mine was crashing at the import.

Thanks for the tips, Jakerod. As far as I can tell, though, the images are 8-bit format and the file paths are all correct. I'll try creating an extremely basic project and see if I can get it to work. If not, perhaps I'll post a ZIP/RAR archive containing all of my project files if someone would like to look over the files directly.

DOnt know how outdated this tuturial is.. but there is really some problems here.. Where can i get the newest visitor.. all screens from that software in this thread seems outdated and..

the bulldozer dosnt convert the ong to paa. have tried everything and im positive the paths are correct.

i downloaded visitor 3 from the wiki.

the bulldozer dosnt convert the ong to paa. have tried everything and im positive the paths are correct.

ONG ?!! ... what are ONG files? O2 converts TGA and PNG files automaticly.

You have the latest version.

A revision is due soon, but only for ArmAII

Gnat;1405556']ONG ?!! ... what are ONG files? O2 converts TGA and PNG files automaticly.

You have the latest version.

A revision is due soon' date=' but only for ArmAII[/quote']

im sry.. was a late night and i was tired.. i meant PNG.

But still same issue it dosnt convert he pngs to paa. it creates a folder that is called "layers" and put alot of png files in there toghether with VMRT files i think they are called. i started buldozer many times but it dosnt convert them to paa.??

I have "Visitor3.0.0.0" Product version 1.0

ehhhmmmm...guys...what happened to Opteryx´s first post...the guideline? Has this thread been hacked and replaced with such a shit?:butbut::butbut::butbut:

Seems Operyx has replaced the first post with a pretty picture, in effect deciding nobody is worthy of his initial wisdom.

Throwing toys from prams benefits nobody.

Planck

Seems Operyx has replaced the first post with a pretty picture, in effect deciding nobody is worthy of his initial wisdom.

Throwing toys from prams benefits nobody.

Planck

My wisdom? Hardly... I just took the time and effort to compile things told and taught to me by others. Besides, it's still available here and here just not here :)

While I highly respect your work, deliberately removing useful information and placing it at only a couple select places seems to me to be exactly in line with what the so called rebels of ArmA Underground set themselves up to be against. Elitism.

While I'm not suggesting thats why you did your change, there are now many newbies who are likely only going to be aware of the BIS Forums, and will miss out.

Please reconsider.

Firstly, don't you dare trying to play on my conscience, I wrote the damn thing and can tear it asunder any damn day I feel like it. Besides, it's half-assed and outdated, maybe it will motive BIS to get off their lazy ass and write a proper tutorial them self.

Secondly, I quite frankly don't care anymore and am suspending my account here, BIS has turned into a rotten apple and have totally neglected the addon community and shown no gratitude for us (particularly map makers). Same bugs, no proper documentation, no new features knowing very well they have developed tons of technology for their precious kiddie killer simulator, at the very least hand us a bone to chew on.

Until then, Fuck it.

Bye

Got to say Opteryx you summed up pretty well there. I believe this matter has been sorted. It is Opteryx's own work and he is right, he can do what he wants. It is still available on other websites which have been mentioned in this thread, so if 'Newbies' want to learn how to use Visitor then they can read this thread.

I wholeheartedly agree, man.

You do with your own work as you please, and damn those that demand access to it.

Edited by Mindwalker

Opteryx: man, thats a nice summary of recent events.

We're putting a damn lot of hours into our freeware work and we're working on a same garbage tools for the past few years, while their devs enjoy all the fancy stuff they constantly update :/

Nevertheless, I'll start on a new map since IMHO Chernarus South Zagoria is one hell of a boring place to make missions for. And I believe I care more for the community than people that even get paid.

Edited by IceBreakr