Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Linux server beta

Followed the instructions, started the server and only got <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Floating point exception

Linux distro is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (kernel 2.6.15-7) 32 bits, on an Intel E6600 dual core.

Followed the instructions, started the server and only got <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Floating point exception

Linux distro is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (kernel 2.6.15-7) 32 bits, on an Intel E6600 dual core.

We already know about at least 2 ubuntu servers running so it will be interesting to figure out why this is happening on the other.

Congratz Fellows biggrin_o.gif

This just needs something said:

BI Seems to keep themselves to their words...

The tools would be released after 1.08 and just before Queens Gambit Release... They did.

The linux-server would come a bit after the tools, and here it is.

Sure the tools are RC and the server is Beta, but here they are!

They would continue supporting ArmA, and here we are, on the road to v1.09, and possibly beyond.

I know many ppls lost their patience but here you see how patience does pay off, at Bohemia Interactive : thumbs-up.gif

All the files the server creates are created with incorrect modes. They end up with only u+w which makes it impossible for the server to read them. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

--w------- 1 erik erik 313 2007-09-17 17:54 player.armaprofile

And no, it's not the umask.

execve("./server", ["./server"], [/* 19 vars */]) = 0

[ Process PID=20728 runs in 32 bit mode. ]

uname({sys="Linux", node="debian3164m", ...}) = 0

brk(0)                                  = 0x8c9d000

old_mmap(0x100000000000, 146028888067, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC|PROT_SEM|PROT_GROWSDOWN|PROT_GROWSUP|0xfcfffff0, MAP_FILE|MAP_POPULATE|MAP_DENYWRITE|MAP_EXECUTABLE|MAP_LOCKED|0x55560400, 0, 0x855564b57) = 0x5556c000

access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

--- SIGFPE (Floating point exception) @ 0 (0) ---

+++ killed by SIGFPE +++

#look like a 64bit problem !

We already know about at least 2 ubuntu servers running so it will be interesting to figure out why this is happening on the other.

I guess you're talking about my test-installations:

Ubuntu 7.04 // Linux 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 7.10

It wasn't a big test, but i was able to play a short game on it. (The installation was on my notebook, not on a rootserver whistle.gif )

On our root with Suse 10.1 the floating point exception also occurs.

Tell me, if you need further informations.

Ubuntu 7.04 seems to be running fine, whereas Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is giving the FPE trouble.

Awesome. finally we might see some servers that can handle the load atleast and won't be as sluggish as the windows servers tends to become.

And indeed ArmA MP starts when a server for a dedicated server OS is out biggrin_o.gif

Setting it up for testing on a P4 3.06Ghz as i speak to try it out.

Edit: tested and runs excellent biggrin_o.gif, tested Evolution V3.0 on it and it held higher Server FPS throughout than the similar Win2k3 setup i had dualbooted on it before. cheers o/

Guest Ti0n3r

Not one day too early. Thanks BIS! xmas_o.gif

Awesome. finally we might see some servers that can handle the load atleast and won't be as sluggish as the windows servers tends to become.

And indeed ArmA MP starts when a server for a dedicated server OS is out biggrin_o.gif

Heh, not to be mean but i bet they bog and have all the same issues with cheating that win does. Cant get around that for the moment. smile_o.gif

We are having the same issues(Floating point exception), 2x Dual Core AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor 275, 2GB RAM, running CentOS release 4.5 (Final) 64bit processors, but I believe its a 32bit OS install

Heh, not to be mean but i bet they bog and have all the same issues with cheating that win does. Cant get around that for the moment. smile_o.gif

never mentioned anything about it being the miracle cure for cheating wink_o.gif. but i'm fairly certain it should bog down way less. atleast the OS is less of a factor to contribute smile_o.gif

We are having the same issues(Floating point exception), 2x Dual Core AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor 275, 2GB RAM, running CentOS release 4.5 (Final)

32bit or 64bit operation?

edit: if a mod could. please merge with above post. thought i could delete but i couldnt :\

Anyone with the crashes, please could you enable core dump and send us the dump?

Best is to email it info@bistudio.com and notify myself about it here on the forums.

To enable core dumping one should probably use the ulimit, such as ulimit -c unlimited, before starting the arma server.

It should create some core.#pidNr after the crash with core dump enabled.

Anyone with the crashes, please could you enable core dump and send us the dump?

Best is to email it info@bistudio.com and notify myself about it here on the forums.

Mail sent.

Quote[/b] ]Awesome. finally we might see some servers that can handle the load atleast and won't be as sluggish as the windows servers tends to become.
This was maybe true in the days of Windows 95, and in the days of Pentium 1 & 2 etc. etc.

But the real performance difference at this time between Windows and Linux, even stability, is imho neglectible and very dependable on application.

The overhead that Windows Services and the Graphical Shell have in Memory and CPU can IMHO be neglected in present-day computers aswell.

Hackability of Windows has always been ´the talk of the day´ while actually 100's if not 1000's of linux servers got hacked or 'rooted' by script kiddies all over the world, every single day. (Anyone remember "The Days" of wu-ftpd?)

Anyway, the whole "Linux is soooo much better than Windows" is an utopie. Nowadays it's more about Preference, Cost and Use.

Our Windows servers run for months without reboot, and reboot only once in a while for a load of Windows Updates. As the server is behind a proper firewall (as any windows or linux server should be), the need to do every windows update falls away.

Our Linux servers run fine too, but the only reason why we run it is because we prefer it in the application of webserver with PHP.