Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creating a New "Island"

As for roads I tried laying a few and then got the AI to drive around and they work great, the bridges are the only thing they wont cross. My maps only quite small so I've nearly completed the road network. The only real problem I found is dodgy textures when u lay them on the long grass. Heres some pics, its about 80% completed.

When I created the mask I used the city texture under the road network, this then helped me when I used buldozer as I just followed the texture path. As for the sat pic, I still need to do more work on that, I used the sat pic from saharini and took small sat textures from that. I found a trick for making good mountains and ridgelines in the greyscale, after creating them I used the soften pic tool too smooth out the overall pic and blend ridges into valleys

Very Impressive!

I especially like this view:
    http://sas.ogn.com.au/island/arma%20...3-27-39-18.jpg

One thing though, it looks as if the trees are all the same height, you should fiddle a little bit with the Randomize setting in the Artificial Objects Definition though, other than that it looks awesome.

Excellent idea I'd completely forgotton about that, idiot me was doing it manually..lol cheers I have redone some forrest already I'll post a comparison pic later

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by (Aussie @ Sep. 19 2007,09:06)
    As for roads I tried laying a few and then got the AI to drive around and they work great, the bridges are the only thing they wont cross.
    Aussie, what road objects are you placing? How did you de-pbo them, etc?

I have been unable to get V3 to accept any road object as a valid road object. I even "forced" V3 to accept some roads taken from roads.pbo, which allows the tool to work (albeit without any data on the road object), but the results crash V3 and buldozer almost instantly.

[self-promotion]
    OFP:R Island : Rezina
    [/self-promotion]

I de-pbo'd the roads addon then added all of them to the new roads section in V3. Then I changed the colors to signify a main road or a dirt road (this will also change them in the map editor). Once that was done I could start adding them to the map. Use the Cntrl key to orintate objects (wish I'd known that before about 10K of road..LOL

Another tip as I mentioned before, make sure u use Mesto in the mask, do all your roads in the mask, then when u use V3 you can follow the path, make it slightly bigger than the road so u get a good gravel texture on the shoulders of the road. ( As you can see in the second bottom pic) One thing I have found is laying roads in the long grass with the mesto underlay causes problems, kinda goes all blocky, I have to make the road shoulder bigger to counter it.

One more thing play around with the "hardness" of the brush when using PSP or photoshop its a great way of getting textures to run into each other

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    Ah, so you did it the hard way, placing single road piece objects one by one? Nice work, it's hard to do!

As far as I know thats the only way I do it, I tried defining and creating roads but wasnt able too sort it out so I was faced with the option of having an un-usable island without roads..hehe.

Ok i finished something, its not much but i'l make it all public, just see what you can make out of it.

Its the PBO and the whole working folder with all the pics and scripts and stuff.
    http://www.delta-automaten.com/public/tummyland.rar

Pic of the island: http://www.delta-automaten.com/public/tummyland.jpg

wont be bug free tho, But at least i'm working on a "real" island now .

! Rar file about 50Mb, but it is all !

Later

ps: put the tummylandv1 folder straight to your P:/ drive

Nice thanks Allie .... its helping me to get started

Yes Allie, well done and thanks .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123