Sign in to follow this  
Ezekiel

1st person animations vs 3rd person

I'm a bit confused, I dunno if its been mentioned before (I certainly did but no one passed comment), but what is the relation between your player model, what you see on the screen and what other people see?

To illustrate my point - take a machinegunner. Turn the floating zone completely off, then go prone. First, using 1st person, fire a straight horizontal line of bullets in a wide arc from left to right. Now go into 3rd person and do the same.

In 1st person you get a perfectly straight line, in 3rd the 'turning left/right whilst prone' animation kicks in, and you end up spraying bullets up down and sideways. I have no idea how these 2 viewmodes work together, but I find it pretty strange. If you throw a grenade in first person and try to fire quickly afterwards its noticably different than if you did the same in 3rd person.

So... what do people in MP see? Do they see a person spraying bullets around madly as they execute beautiful animations whilst turning in prone, or do they see someone magically pivoting 180 degrees left and right on the spot firing horizontal lines of bullets without moving their legs or arms? Or do they see both, depending on whether that person is using 1st or 3rd person?

crazy_o.gif

As far as I know, what you see in 1st person is also what is really animated on your character in 3rd person view.

ArmA and OFP don't rely on a specific "inside" view, like Oblivion for example. The point of view in 1st person is just moved to match the position of your head, which is then made transparent to the player.

If you see different anims, you may have a bug somewhere...

Malick

As far as I know, what you see in 1st person is also what is really animated on your character in 3rd person view.

ArmA and OFP don't rely on a specific "inside" view, like Oblivion for example. The point of view in 1st person is just moved to match the position of your head, which is then made transparent to the player.

That's exactly what I thought but its simply not true. Did you even try the MG experiment?

Another one. Load up the editor, take someone with a long gun (Barrett is ideal) and walk up to a building. Face it directly with gun extended and observe how the barrel disappears into the wall. Now, without moving switch to first person. Notice anything funny?

Gun is drawn on in 1st person much like most other 1st person shooters, and is not part of the actual physical 'what everyone can see outside of your first person view' at all. I can only draw the conclusion that 1st person and 3rd person are COMPLETELY different to play as.

I haven't tested the MG experiment yet.

For the gun, it's a collision issue and a graphical glitch work-around : your weapon is drawn over everything on screen to avoid silly looking clipping guns through wall in 1st person.

I know, that sucks. i don't know if it's a bug, though.

Malick

Every game shows third person gun clipping into ground or wall, not sure why this is, perhaps the rifles geometry isn't extended as far as the actual gun is, but if it was then there would be people complaining they can't get into a doorway or something, try walking in with an M16A2 or M4, notice how the gun prevents this, though realistic, there have been plenty of (selfish imo) complaints of this.

Turning in first person simply disables the 'turning' animation - that is all. I assume it's been done merely to stop the player going nuts when trying to stabilise their aim - a workaround. People watching your character model, if you're turning in first person, will not see the 'turning' animation - only you rotating eerily on the spot. Likewise, if you activate third person, they'll see your model turn awkwardly and you'll get the aiming penalty. It's as simple as that.

EDIT - You can also turn on the awkward turning in first person if you press 'rotate left' or 'rotate right' (normally your rudder keys) in first person.

Ok, thanks that pretty much answers my questions. thumbs-up.gif

Bit peculiar but it makes sense.