Sign in to follow this  
kestrel7e7

Webcam head tracking video

Nice, the guy from freetrack obviously improved his code... getting more and more interesting... and 6DOF right ?

How does this work, anyone tried it? Watching video now ... smile_o.gif

I tried, it works really nice, many options to modify, calibrate movement.

You just need good webcam, fast and configurable- my low-priced Thrust webcam couldnt work at evening, 8 fps after analising is far too low.

Anyway if you have a webcam, check it - Arma doesnt need anything to run it, it works just like that smile_o.gif

I tried, it works really nice, many options to modify, calibrate movement.

You just need good webcam, fast and configurable- my low-priced Thrust webcam couldnt work at evening, 8 fps after analising is far too low.

Anyway if you have a webcam, check it - Arma doesnt need anything to run it, it works just like that smile_o.gif

So you don't need the LEDs those are just to enhance it, or??

my low-priced Thrust webcam couldnt work at evening, 8 fps after analising is far too low.

Most webcams can do 30fps if you set the exposure low enough, that's all you need.

Quote[/b] ]So you don't need the LEDs those are just to enhance it, or??

The tracking system requires tracking points like leds or reflectors, if you're electro-phobic you can buy components kits or pre-built hardware. Check the english section of the Freetrack forums.

Freetrack uses tracking points because they are more accurate, less computationally expensive and more robust to different lighting conditions than tracking systems that rely on unaided visual cues alone.

I've ordered the 4 LED head kit from a Finnish chap on the Freetrack forum and I don't yet have a webcam but when I have set all this up, I will definately report back.

I remember seeing this back when they only had a single dot version working. It's come a long way since then! I don't have a webcam, but I've been meaning to buy one for a long time and this looks like as good a reason as any to do so! As for the components, I've got thousands of LEDs and resistors downstairs (my old man's electronics workshop) and a power supply I built a few years ago that's been gathering dust. If I remember and am not too busy, I'll try to get myself a webcam tomorrow and get one of these going by tomorrow evening. Or failing that, by this weekend.

Heh I got this to work, using my webcam, freetrack and a single LED from a novelty lighter, course the LED is on a switch so after wrapping most of it in waterproof tape, I hold it in my teeth biggrin_o.gif

The great thing about this is, I can turn it on and off just by tightening or easing off the pressure from my jaw.

Of Course, this is going to make comms a problem rofl.gif

course the LED is on a switch so after wrapping most of it in waterproof tape, I hold it in my teeth  biggrin_o.gif

You would make Uncle Fester proud. wow_o.gif

Anyway, cheap webcams dont have the FPS/exposure combination to be able to do it accurately.

The posted video was done using a cheap 30fps webcam, the program was made for that in mind.

I'm pleased to say this worked out of the box. It needs a little tweaking and my ancient webcam isn't quite up to the job AND Mrs Tank says I look REALLY stupid wearing all the tackle... but

it does work!

what would be a perfect and cheap setup for this? which webcam and stuff?

A new version of Freetrack, v2.1, has been released. Works great with ArmA and comes with a demo video so you can see it in action even if you don't have a webcam or point model.

http://www.free-track.org

I've got 2.1 and it comes with a default ArmA profile. Works really well, leaning, zooming all from the head tracker.

If it could be made to prone/crouch/stand by sensing the Y axis, that would be even better!

Also, I've hacked my webcam to remove the internal filter and replace it with an IR one.

I don't see the point really, I mean I have my free look button on my mouse and it allows me to do everything he's doing in that video easy as pie. Plus I can snap right back to my gun with one click.

I can see it having value for a flight sim though.

However in the brief muck arounds I've had with Track IR in IL2 I just find it terribly uncomfortable to need to sit there with your head totally rigid to look straight ahead in game (I'm a natural twitcher and leaner so it doesn't suit me at all).

Quote[/b] ]I don't see the point really, I mean I have my free look button on my mouse and it allows me to do everything he's doing in that video easy as pie.

Mouselook steals mouse control, making it impossible to change direction while looking around, many of the movements in that video are impossible without head tracking.

In addition to hands-free freelook, head tracking provides analog lean, analog zoom and a high level of immersiveness.

If you watch gamers at a major lan event you'll find they hold their head very rigidly while playing. Maybe you hold your head more rigidly than you think?

Head tracking becomes second nature very quickly.

Quote[/b] ]Plus I can snap right back to my gun with one click.

Using Freetrack you can center sights immediately with one click either momentarily or with a toggle mode.

Quote[/b] ]However in the brief muck arounds I've had with Track IR in IL2 I just find it terribly uncomfortable to need to sit there with your head totally rigid to look straight ahead in game (I'm a natural twitcher and leaner so it doesn't suit me at all).

You don't have to hold your head rigidly with TIR3/4 or Freetrack in 3point or 4point tracking mode because IL2 is only 2dof it will only measure your head rotation and not translation.

You can toggle tracking on/off as required, you can also increase smoothing on the fly with a hotkey to reduce sensitivity to head movements and also add a central deadzone so you can relax your head.

There's really no excuse for not using it...

The game profile needs tweaking. To avoid stiffness, you need to allow some deadzone.

I wouldn't play ArmA without FT2.1. Mouselook is a very poor substitue for FT. Situation awareness is raised so much. When you get used to it, it's very natural.

1. When looking through a sight such as an ACOG, you can still take your eye away and look around without moving the gun.

2. When driving through towns, you can drive down a main street and glance down all the side roads.

3. When flying, you can fly lower and faster because being able to move your head increases depth perception and reduces the chances of 'violation of ground air interface' smile_o.gif

4. Leaning, zooming, crouch/prone/stand are all down without touching a key.

crouch/prone/stand are all down without touching a key

You managed to get that workable?

Sort of. It needs tweaking.

Are you the same Kestrel as on the FT forums?

I gave it a shot, and I'll never be able to play ArmA without it again. I love this! It's a little awkward at first, especially on foot, but once you get used to it it's great. It has greatly improved my flying abilities.

The only problem is that I purchased sub-par LEDs. The first ones I got for prototyping had too small of a beam angle, so I ordered some LN152s because of their 90-degree half-intensity angle. I thought "90 degrees! That's ridiculous! I'll never have a problem with turning my head too far!" Unfortunately I didn't bother to consider that they're in a TO-18 package, which is about a fourth of the size they need to be to show up well on camera. Oh well, I guess I'll be shopping for some more LEDs for Hat v3.0 soon.