Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG_181

Insurgency / True combat elite style scopes?

If you've played Insurgency (INSmod for Hl2) or True Combat: elite for RTCW Enemy territory (Truecombatelite=TCE), you'll know what i mean. You look through the scope, and whatever you see through the scope is magnified, but not what's around the scope. Take for example, ArmA's M4 (with the [aimpoint?] scope). You look through the scope, but all it is is a circle with a dot in it. You can zoom in, but that zooms in your whole view, not the scope. On TCE, you see the scope as you do in ArmA (You can see around it, too, the screen isn't blacked out), but the actual scope magnifies what you see through it, making sniping easier. I'd like to see this in Arma. It should be easy enough, I'd think, anyway..

hm im not sure on scopes like the ACOG or the aimpoint and if they have magnification, but on regular magnifying scopes you dont see much of the surrounding cept the actual magnified area, as you close one eye get your other real close to the eyepiece.

at least i do aim like that with my grand´s rifle.

and on russian sights like the svd or 1p29 this is entirely obsolete since these have rubber eyepieces and will obscure anything around cept the magnified area you see through the scope.

so aiming/sniping would be just like in ofp.

aside from that... that mod or game you talk about might just use it as a gimmick

id rather like to see the surrounded area get blured as the player focuses on the magnification.

+ it would be more realistic hihi smile_o.gif

Bit of a serious bummer, though, if you want to try modding

a Lattey or a German Zf41   sad_o.gif

And if you need to "get ... real close to the eyepiece" then

your hold and posture are wrong   tounge2.gif

Well I guess it would be cool, lke in Red Orchestra.

But, in real life, Im pretty sure you cant do that and shoot acurate.

When I shoot my 30/6 Savage, I need to close one eye to look through the scope, therefore... I cant se the surrounding area with my other...I can only look thruthe scope....and ...yah.

I'm pretty sure that in RL when you look down a scope with one eye(if you have both eye open and aim then you're either doing it wrong or you should be in NASA or something else, just not in the army, you're too good for that) you pretty much focus out everything else besides the scope.

Seems like a lot of you people just assume what it's like to look down a rifle scope without actually having done it..

Yes you do focus out the view around the scope, but like with everything else your eye(s) focuses on you'll still have a peripheral view around the scope.

It's not unrealistic to maintain situational awareness while aiming through a scope. We were taught to shoot with both eyes open; with one looking at the target and the other looking for other threats or the next target. That was an Elcan sight of course, not sure about one with more magnification.

And we sure as hell weren't zooming wink_o.gif

both eyes open, that's right, with ACOG, aimpoint, and any reflex sight like EOtech and russian equivs I'm sure...you can 2 eye with anything with proper training and practice.

as far as realistic...keep in mind that many of these modern sights were meant to give a shooter video game like SA and and reflexive shooting...in video games, you don't 'aim', you point and shoot...so basically...

While games like ARMA are chasing real world reality, Real world arms are chasing ARMA like fantasy (and hoping to get to auto-aim) funny that.

@Faulkner

i meant a "sniper-scope" :P and not THAT close that my eyeball would stick in the scopes eyepiece XD.

but hey wouldnt the the sh!t if you could do that lol

imagine one eye ball stuck in the scope the other in the head.

could be a very cutdown version of that natick soldier thing LOL

well what can i say, i use both eye to scan for target, that gets me a better situational awareness, but once i get a target and start aiming i usually use just one eye(for rifle, handgun uses a different way to aim)

No zoom on aimpoint at all, and you do aim with both eyes open using the aimpoint system. ACOG however you do focus only on the scope so not really a chance for good SA there. I only know it from the G36. It has been poorly modeled in ArmA since in real life it has both an aimpoint system and an ACOG like scope below it. Would be cool if someone could make an addon featuring that. Should not be too hard for someone who knows his way around with modding. All there is to do is put in a aimpoint like in the M4 without zoom of course and a zoom function like with the ACOG on right mouse button or so.

i remember that some version of acog have a function that keeps its zoom level at 1x when the sight is moving, and back on 4x when in limited moving rate or halt, that makes the scope itself suit CQB needs