Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Can you make an ArmA or OFP2 mod for Crysis?

Quote Originally Posted by (walker @ July 30 2007,13:47)
    Hi all

Maybe I am seeing it wrong.

The graphics look cartoony and blured.

The FPS is what 1 frame per 5 seconds.

I saw very few entities at the same time other than the moire fish and crabs.

I played the first version it was rubbish on a friends computer in the hope it was better than the demo. The AI was about 1980s level what I would expect in manic miner on the spectrum.

View distance was fogged down to 50m if you moved, with back ground 2D flat scenery to cover up that it was not real 3D. You could even see the flat scenery changing when it was too far out of synch.

No MP capability whatsoever.

No control system for players to run an AI squad never mind a platoon or company or battlegroup.

Bouncy bunyhopper pogo boots.

The control system was so bad it required Auto aim for guns. Lame or what?

The cry engine does not make me cry it makes you laugh at the numptys that still consider buying it.

Sadly walker
    huh? dude are we talking about the same game here? You have played the "first version over at a friends computer" yet it isn't even out yet? No MP? haven't you heard of the game's power struggle.

View distance looks like crap? lol not from the videos and pics i've seen. Either go back and reread the post or stop getting high then posting, you have no idea what you are talking about lol

Quote Originally Posted by (Heatseeker @ July 30 2007,14:05)
    Holy .... thats awesome.

3.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #23
    hmm never saw this video of level editor for CE2 ... very impressive ...

i saw several others but this one is way more informative ...

Master Sergeant
    I'm very impressed by recent improvements in games physics. For sure, Crytek has made some very good engine ! Even if some here keep telling that the scale of ArmA prevents from reaching the same level of detail (physics wise), Crysis and to some extent Farcry are already quite large.

From what we can see on the internet about Crysis, it is going to be a very good shooter and an even more powerful game engine. What keeps ArmA from reaching this level of precision : a lack of optimization. I don't say it's easy, I just say the team behind CryEngine2 managed to reach a level that BIS couldn't.

CPU and GPU wise, ArmA burns your computer to the ground but doesn't look half as good as some shooters out there. Scale is a reason, ok. The old and limited engine (RealVirtuality), even improved and updated, is another...

As for ArmA's physics, some equations behind objects and units movements are badly solved. No friction taken into account in collisions and object relationship, only normal forces between gravity centres. No shocks and momentum transfers. The list goes on.

This only shows the age of the core engine for the game, which can be traced back to 1996 !

Malick

Yes, the problem is BIS is a 40(?) man team (correct me if im wrong there) and so development takes longer and there is less manpower. To create what Crytek have created would take MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.

Also i remember Suma PM'ed a friend of mine about the Poseidon Engine, and basically, they always use the same engine, from OFP onwards, and its the same engine which is built over time, being improved, modified and rewritten.

So from OFP 1.0 -> Resistance -> OFP:E -> ArmA -> Game 2 its the same engine, with more modifications.

IMO if there is not some dramatic overhaul of the engine for Game2, then i think the game will be completely outdated. I mean, the physics in ArmA really annoy me quite a lot, collision still is not perfect, falling from height means you cant turn in the air and you are a static model, death animations are poor. Most of this stuff is limited by the engine, and with the same engine being used then i believe that by the time of Game2 we'll end up with just the same game with just a few more tweaks, like ArmA is compared to OFP.

But BIS dont have the time, money or manpower to pull off a brand spanking new engine or anything compared to Crytek.. but unless they strike a deal with EA (HELL NO) or some other publisher who will end up spoiling the whole realism idea, they wont be able to pull off something spectacular. So i have no idea for a solution.
    [DRS]3MRD|Pvt.Jack-UK

Armed Assault: International Conflict
    *** www.ic-arma.com ***

</span><table border=\"0\" align=\"center\" width=\"95%\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\"><tr><td>Quote (themaster303 @ Aug. 25 2007,09:25)</td></tr><tr><td id=\"QUOTE\">lern proper english.</td></tr></table><span =\'\'>

6.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #26
    CryEngine 2 (Crysis) is just enahanced CryEngine 1 (FarCry)

You can&#39;t say it&#39;s same engine just updated and that&#39;s why it suck ...

the thing is Crysis team is approx 4 times bigger than BIS

Very true, but the jump from CryEngine 1 to CryEngine2 is huge:

ONE:
    http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng1x

TWO:
    http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng2

Whereas i think most people will agree there isnt that much of a jump between OFP -> ArmA.

By the way, i dont think ArmA sucks or i wouldnt play it Im just saying that i think ArmA in some aspects lags behind the times, and i just think the gap will grow as time goes on, as you say because the Crysis team is 4x bigger than BIS

Master Sergeant
    Well, if you compare OFP to ArmA, there IS actually a huge leap forward. All the time that has been spent in improving the game was worth it, in my opinion. The game does look good : I even prefer it to TES4:Oblivion &#33; The forests and landscapes look better or more real from a distance, but of course ArmA lags behind when it comes to cities and buildings.

And damn those CryTek screens make me cry. They really pulled something incredible out of their hat &#33; The character animations are particularly well done... I don&#39;t wish ArmA to look like that, I wish BIS get unlimited funds and manpower &#33;

Hint : Hire me, Suma &#33;

Malick

Quote Originally Posted by (Jack-UK @ July 30 2007,20:38)
    Very true, but the jump from CryEngine 1 to CryEngine2 is huge:

ONE:
    http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng1x

TWO:
    http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng2

Whereas i think most people will agree there isnt that much of a jump between OFP -> ArmA.

By the way, i dont think ArmA sucks or i wouldnt play it Im just saying that i think ArmA in some aspects lags behind the times, and i just think the gap will grow as time goes on, as you say because the Crysis team is 4x bigger than BIS
    Impressive features.

I would like to see it applied to ArmA gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by (Malick @ July 30 2007,20:47)
    Well, if you compare OFP to ArmA, there IS actually a huge leap forward. All the time that has been spent in improving the game was worth it, in my opinion. The game does look good : I even prefer it to TES4:Oblivion &#33; The forests and landscapes look better or more real from a distance, but of course ArmA lags behind when it comes to cities and buildings.

And damn those CryTek screens make me cry. They really pulled something incredible out of their hat &#33; The character animations are particularly well done... I don&#39;t wish ArmA to look like that, I wish BIS get unlimited funds and manpower &#33;

Hint : Hire me, Suma &#33; ***

Malick
    Notice you only mentioned graphically And ArmA eats up more performance than any other game.. plus the &#39;forests&#39; dont really look like forests to me, i think they looked better in OFP:Resistance personally, with the improved trees in ArmA i think they could have looked a bit better.

Dont get me wrong though, ArmA IS beautiful, u only need to look at the screenshots section to see that, but you need a top notch PC to get the max settings, and even then you wont get good frames. Plus some people have great systems with 8800s and such and they get worse frames than people with lesser systems (for unknown reasons).

What i love BIS for though, is their patches

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast