Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar2007

Can you make an ArmA or OFP2 mod for Crysis?

CryEngine 2 (Crysis) is just enahanced CryEngine 1 (FarCry)

You can't say it's same engine just updated and that's why it suck ...

the thing is Crysis team is approx 4 times bigger than BIS

Very true, but the jump from CryEngine 1 to CryEngine2 is huge:

ONE:

http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng1x

TWO:

http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng2

Whereas i think most people will agree there isnt that much of a jump between OFP -> ArmA.

By the way, i dont think ArmA sucks or i wouldnt play it wink_o.gif Im just saying that i think ArmA in some aspects lags behind the times, and i just think the gap will grow as time goes on, as you say because the Crysis team is 4x bigger than BIS wink_o.gif

Well, if you compare OFP to ArmA, there IS actually a huge leap forward. All the time that has been spent in improving the game was worth it, in my opinion. The game does look good : I even prefer it to TES4:Oblivion ! The forests and landscapes look better or more real from a distance, but of course ArmA lags behind when it comes to cities and buildings.

And damn those CryTek screens make me cry. They really pulled something incredible out of their hat ! The character animations are particularly well done... I don't wish ArmA to look like that, I wish BIS get unlimited funds and manpower !

Hint : Hire me, Suma ! whistle.gif

Malick

Very true, but the jump from CryEngine 1 to CryEngine2 is huge:

ONE:

http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng1x

TWO:

http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng2

Whereas i think most people will agree there isnt that much of a jump between OFP -> ArmA.

By the way, i dont think ArmA sucks or i wouldnt play it wink_o.gif Im just saying that i think ArmA in some aspects lags behind the times, and i just think the gap will grow as time goes on, as you say because the Crysis team is 4x bigger than BIS wink_o.gif

Impressive features.

I would like to see it applied to ArmA gameplay.

Well, if you compare OFP to ArmA, there IS actually a huge leap forward. All the time that has been spent in improving the game was worth it, in my opinion. The game does look good : I even prefer it to TES4:Oblivion ! The forests and landscapes look better or more real from a distance, but of course ArmA lags behind when it comes to cities and buildings.

And damn those CryTek screens make me cry. They really pulled something incredible out of their hat ! The character animations are particularly well done... I don't wish ArmA to look like that, I wish BIS get unlimited funds and manpower !

Hint : Hire me, Suma !  whistle.gif

Malick

Notice you only mentioned graphically wink_o.gif And ArmA eats up more performance than any other game.. plus the 'forests' dont really look like forests to me, i think they looked better in OFP:Resistance personally, with the improved trees in ArmA i think they could have looked a bit better.

Dont get me wrong though, ArmA IS beautiful, u only need to look at the screenshots section to see that, but you need a top notch PC to get the max settings, and even then you wont get good frames. Plus some people have great systems with 8800s and such and they get worse frames than people with lesser systems (for unknown reasons).

What i love BIS for though, is their patches inlove.gifinlove.gif

Hint : Hire me, Suma ! whistle.gif

Malick

Notice you only mentioned graphically wink_o.gif And ArmA eats up more performance than any other game.. plus the 'forests' dont really look like forests to me, i think they looked better in OFP:Resistance personally, with the improved trees in ArmA i think they could have looked a bit better.

Dont get me wrong though, ArmA IS beautiful, u only need to look at the screenshots section to see that, but you need a top notch PC to get the max settings, and even then you wont get good frames. Plus some people have great systems with 8800s and such and they get worse frames than people with lesser systems (for unknown reasons).

What i love BIS for though, is their patches inlove.gifinlove.gif

The forests in ArmA, imho, look better than the forests in Oblivion, and thats saying something! Have you ever cranked the graphics to full everything? It looks nice but it runs worse than a powerpoint presentation...

Quote[/b] ]It looks nice but it runs worse than a powerpoint presentation...

Hehe,that is so true ! tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Notice you only mentioned graphically

Yes, ArmA has always been OFP1.5. Those that think it is a whole new game, with exceptional new features, no engine limitation and with free cure for cancer usually are disapointed. ArmA is a visual improvement, no doubt. The other limitations, with the exception of multi-turrets, missile-wheel and Join in Progress, are still there.

Now, ArmA's engine is not Crysis'. But can CryEngine2 handle that many AI ? I can't find this information. And all videos or other media I find only have a handful of units, lower than 30 that's for sure.

It may be better graphics wise, as we already pointed out, but how does the AI behave and react to the environment ? And, obviously, with what CPU-meltdown probability ? tounge2.gif

Malick

I'd love to see anybody place 140 AI on screen at once in Crysis and have it run as smoothly as it does on my shitty machine in ArmA.

Crysis is more eye candy than anything else.

And it's over done eye candy. The AI looks worse in some cases than the ArmA AI. Also you can cut down trees with an AK. great. Also some of the stuff in Crysis is already in ArmA. Full night/day cycle. Been there since OFP! A real star map, been there since OFP.

But then again, ArmA is a combat simulation while crysis is an FPS action shooter.

I'd love to see anybody place 140 AI on screen at once in Crysis and have it run as smoothly as it does on my shitty machine in ArmA.

Crysis is more eye candy than anything else.

And it's over done eye candy. The AI looks worse in some cases than the ArmA AI. Also you can cut down trees with an AK. great. Also some of the stuff in Crysis is already in ArmA. Full night/day cycle. Been there since OFP! A real star map, been there since OFP.

But then again, ArmA is a combat simulation while crysis is an FPS action shooter.

Ya one of the good things about Crysis is it takes advantage of newer hardware(Duals and Quads etc). I think the AI will be fine coming from the makers of Far Cry, that had decent AI. Also most videos you see on Crysis are from Easy mode or if it was in pre-alpha......bad AI is a given. I dont think it is just eye candy. The physics system seems really awesome and so as the gameplay. There would be no excuse if Crysis ship with bad AI as ArmA did. I forgive ArmA for it's terrible urban combat because the engine is handling a good amount of AI.

I guess we will have to wait and see if anybody can try to recreate a battlefield like expirence with the sandbox2 editor. I can see it being a big challenge because this game is being designed as a sci fi shooter.

ArmA has changed from OFP it defently doesnt feel the same as it did.

So it isnt just graphically changed

I think there is quite a bit more that has changed than people realize.

Two mods should be made for Crysis, something like garrysmod, and some sort of tactical shooter, like armed assault but will smaller separate maps.

Well... its unreasonable to compare both games, even more to start a fanboy discussion about this.

Arma offers great, unique freedom and scale, you gotta love playing part of a mech infantry unit with air/armored support or whatever combination you like, all in real time, with Arma we can push things alot further than we could in OPF.

You wont get that in Crysis... so i'll enjoy both for what they are though i think i'll get more out of Arma.

I remember all the hype about Far Cry and how great it was going to be and i went thru its SP once and gave it away, i dont let anyone touch my OPF disks.

About Arma being very demanding, i think BIS pushed it a little too much, not with the engine itself but with Sahrani.

Arma offers great, unique freedom and scale, you gotta love playing part of a mech infantry unit with air/armored support or whatever combination you like, all in real time, with Arma we can push things alot further than we could in OPF.

You wont get that in Crysis... so i'll enjoy both for what they are though i think i'll get more out of Arma.

Well they are shipping Sandbox editor 2 with the game, so I think that is very possible in Crysis.