Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar2007

Can you make an ArmA or OFP2 mod for Crysis?

Imagine the realistic game play of ArmA on this Game Engine!!

EA's CRYSIS using the Cryengine 2

It even has ......GET THIS...A FULLY MODELED ISLAND they made for the game....

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22195.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22212.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22238.html

PHYSICS

A dream come true would be the next ArmA or OFP2 to use the Cryengine 2 engine!!

Well if you want MP support your dreams are gonna be shattered..

This is off topic... and i dont think the cry engine can match the scale of Armas environment and combat.

Its interesting that you can pick and throw chicken around though rofl.gif .

A realistic Crysis would rock.

No stupid ass crap in a realistic physics engine would rock.

Why do all these devs make games look, and have the physics, close to real life, and then make you a lone super soldier fighting aliens?!  rofl.gif

With completly fake firearms loosley BASED on a real life weapon with flip out scopes and stuff.

Sorry for repeatedly editing this, but i also notice even more things they put in sutch as helocopters that look like they are based on an Hind flying undamaged after getting hit by some kind of weird future AT launcher. lol.

Why do all these devs make games look, and have the physics, close to real life, and then make you a lone super soldier fighting aliens?! rofl.gif

With completly fake firearms loosley BASED on a real life weapon with flip out scopes and stuff.

Because that's what gamer's want, and pay for. sad_o.gif

Also, why are you asking ArmA modders to mod another game?

I'm pretty sure they'll want to use their knowledge and time to do stuff for ArmA and not some other game.

Shouldn't you be asking this somewhere were you can find Crysis modders?

CryEngine 2 is next gen hitec engine thus ... it will cost similar price like UE3 or upcoming Source

aka hundreds thousands to millions USD per signle license ...

millions to tens millions for studio crossplatform license ...

i see no reason for BIS to throw away theirs own inhouse engine to get another one and be dependant on CryTek

Crysis is nice game on CryEngine 2 and i'm sure sooner or later there appear realism mod, but i doubt it will be sooner than around this Xmass (1y after ArmA release)

With more support from BIS, and more development from the mod community, and coordinated efforst 'grouping' mods into one massive mod(cooperatively and not ripping other's work) I think ArmA's graphics are good enough.

Actually, with some in-game Ai fixes and some seriously better hardware (8800 GTS) ArmA looks completely different now (to me on my comp).

1. Crytek is still a slick looking engine. Props!

2. Anything touched by EA is the poop under gamer's shoes.

wink_o.gifrofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]2. Anything touched by EA is the poop under gamer's shoes.

Amen to that brotha!

ha that is generally true but EA has no involment in this gem(just Publishing).Cytek are perfectionists and wouldn't let EA mess up their game.

Anyways, Crysis is gonna be awesome and i'm sure there will be tons of Vietnam mods and possible modern conflict and middle eastern warfare mods. However, if you want battlefield realism only option is ArmA!

I cant wait for Crysis tho, it has more of a hollywood type of game play with the nano suit. Just because it isn't realistic doesn't mean it will be fun as hell.

I don`t want to play Crysis, but Far Cry 2 for sure.

The new Cryengine can produce an realistic environment, but i doubt that it can handle really big battles.

Imagine two army's operating with infantry, tanks and air support in that engine. It would need an über PC to handle that, if the engine is capable of that at all. huh.gif

Are hexacores delivered with the game ? smile_o.gif

I doubt that Cryisis will be playable on my machine and most of the "not-topnotch" machines out there. Apart from that Crysis follows a completely different idea than Arma. It creates a FPS-experience around the player, like if you´re going to the movies, while Arma gives you a world to play within.

I remember playing Far Cry and I enjoyed it. The visuals were awesome and the AI not too bad. At the point where I had to fight mutants again, I was dissapointed.

Apart from that, even if the engine was very good, I do not know if there were any serious and grown-up mods for it. I guess not.

I don`t want to play Crysis, but Far Cry 2 for sure.

lol you would rather play a game made by ubisoft rather than Crytek, the makers of far cry?

Actually guys, Crytek is optimizing the engine extremely well where you can play the game on a 2-3 year old PC and it will still look pretty good. You dont have to have a "top notch" pc just to run Crysis, that is a common misconception.

However, I think a mod to ArmA massive scale on Cryengine 2 would only work on high end rigs with a Quad core(talking about tons of units on screen). I really hope some talented modders could make this happen, however mod makers need to stay on ArmA and keep making awesome mods smile_o.gif

*cough*

Quote[/b] ]Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz

Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)

RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 256k+

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)

Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent

RAM: 1.5Gb

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

As we all know from hard experience , the requirenments are already toned down by the developers for " i want to sell my game" reasons.

So take the info with a sack of salt and there you go.

If someone made a mod off of it, wouldn't it just be Armed Assault with bunny hoppers?

ha that is generally true but EA has no involment in this gem(just Publishing).Cytek are perfectionists and wouldn't let EA mess up their game.

Anyways, Crysis is gonna be awesome and i'm sure there will be tons of Vietnam mods and possible modern conflict and middle eastern warfare mods. However, if you want battlefield realism only option is ArmA!

I cant wait for Crysis tho, it has more of a hollywood type of game play with the nano suit. Just because it isn't realistic doesn't mean it will be fun as hell.

I beg to differ, EA gobbled up Dice and Desert Combat and see what came of that. So much for potential, and how about those ranked servers?

Hi all

Maybe I am seeing it wrong.

The graphics look cartoony and blured.

The FPS is what 1 frame per 5 seconds.

I saw very few entities at the same time other than the moire fish and crabs.

I played the first version it was rubbish on a friends computer in the hope it was better than the demo. The AI was about 1980s level what I would expect in manic miner on the spectrum.

View distance was fogged down to 50m if you moved, with back ground 2D flat scenery to cover up that it was not real 3D. You could even see the flat scenery changing when it was too far out of synch.

No MP capability whatsoever.

No control system for players to run an AI squad never mind a platoon or company or battlegroup.

Bouncy bunyhopper pogo boots.

The control system was so bad it required Auto aim for guns. Lame or what?

The cry engine does not make me cry it makes you laugh at the numptys that still consider buying it.

Sadly walker

I havent read up much on Crysis but the physics and graphics are AMAZING. Full stop.

Also according to this thread the game will be moddable, in which case i see a realism mod coming out for it eventually smile_o.gif

Crysis is going to ROCK! No doubt about that. But it wont stop me from playing Arma thats for sure.

Hi all

Maybe I am seeing it wrong.

The graphics look cartoony and blured.

The FPS is what 1 frame per 5 seconds.

I saw very few entities at the same time other than the moire fish and crabs.

I played the first version it was rubbish on a friends computer in the hope it was better than the demo. The AI was about 1980s level what I would expect in manic miner on the spectrum.

View distance was fogged down to 50m if you moved, with back ground 2D flat scenery to cover up that it was not real 3D. You could even see the flat scenery changing when it was too far out of synch.

No MP capability whatsoever.

No control system for players to run an AI squad never mind a platoon or company or battlegroup.

Bouncy bunyhopper pogo boots.

The control system was so bad it required Auto aim for guns. Lame or what?

The cry engine does not make me cry it makes you laugh at the numptys that still consider buying it.

Sadly walker

huh? dude are we talking about the same game here? You have played the "first version over at a friends computer" yet it isn't even out yet? No MP? haven't you heard of the game's power struggle.

View distance looks like crap? lol not from the videos and pics i've seen. Either go back and reread the post or stop getting high then posting, you have no idea what you are talking about lol

hmm never saw this video of level editor for CE2 ... very impressive ...

i saw several others but this one is way more informative ...

I'm very impressed by recent improvements in games physics. For sure, Crytek has made some very good engine ! Even if some here keep telling that the scale of ArmA prevents from reaching the same level of detail (physics wise), Crysis and to some extent Farcry are already quite large.

From what we can see on the internet about Crysis, it is going to be a very good shooter and an even more powerful game engine. What keeps ArmA from reaching this level of precision : a lack of optimization. I don't say it's easy, I just say the team behind CryEngine2 managed to reach a level that BIS couldn't.

CPU and GPU wise, ArmA burns your computer to the ground but doesn't look half as good as some shooters out there. Scale is a reason, ok. The old and limited engine (RealVirtuality), even improved and updated, is another...

As for ArmA's physics, some equations behind objects and units movements are badly solved. No friction taken into account in collisions and object relationship, only normal forces between gravity centres. No shocks and momentum transfers. The list goes on.

This only shows the age of the core engine for the game, which can be traced back to 1996 !

Malick

Yes, the problem is BIS is a 40(?) man team (correct me if im wrong there) and so development takes longer and there is less manpower. To create what Crytek have created would take MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.

Also i remember Suma PM'ed a friend of mine about the Poseidon Engine, and basically, they always use the same engine, from OFP onwards, and its the same engine which is built over time, being improved, modified and rewritten.

So from OFP 1.0 -> Resistance -> OFP:E -> ArmA -> Game 2 its the same engine, with more modifications.

IMO if there is not some dramatic overhaul of the engine for Game2, then i think the game will be completely outdated. I mean, the physics in ArmA really annoy me quite a lot, collision still is not perfect, falling from height means you cant turn in the air and you are a static model, death animations are poor. Most of this stuff is limited by the engine, and with the same engine being used then i believe that by the time of Game2 we'll end up with just the same game with just a few more tweaks, like ArmA is compared to OFP.

But BIS dont have the time, money or manpower to pull off a brand spanking new engine or anything compared to Crytek.. but unless they strike a deal with EA (HELL NO) or some other publisher who will end up spoiling the whole realism idea, they wont be able to pull off something spectacular. So i have no idea for a solution.