-Variable-

More Categories to this Forum?

I would like to suggest the following categories for the "User Missions Forum":

Multyplayer Missions- Complete

Single Player Campaigns- Complete

Single Player Missions- Complete

User Missions Discussion

I suggest that for the following reasons:

1. It will make it easier to sort out specific missions. Moreover, if a player would like to find a new campaign to play, he won't have to check the whole history of this forum (Take into consideration that growth rate of this forum over the years to come).

2. Keeping track of the information that interests you by using the "track forum" option. This way, those that are into single player campaigns will be able to receive updates regarding only single player campaigns. Now, you can only choose to receive ALL replies and new posts that are being made in this huge forum, that's about 50 email notifications a day! This renders the notification system almost unusable.

3. For some reasons I will never understand, OFP (and now ArmA) community always sanctified addons and mods while neglecting mission making. This change, I believe, will reflect a more serious approach towards the mission makers' community. Note the correlation between the mods' forums structure, and the offered user missions forums structure (completed missions, and discussion about mission making)

I am well aware of the wide variety of opinions in this matter, a different structure might be better than mine; feel free to suggest your own ideas. Moderators- since this is a big change, what do you think?

And by the way, my suggestion refers to the Operation Flashpoint user missions forum as well.

Hey Variable! How you doing matey?

Yeah , would seem to make sense having the missions in their own catergries.

Separate forums for single and multi maps would be the only thing we need, coop mappers too often fail to tell that their mission is for multiplayer and prefer to just put the name of their mission in the topic name.

The main seperation I would like to see is between completed missions and general discussions about mission scripting and such. hence my suggetion.

The simpler it is, the better.

I like what is said. But wouldn't it be better to have a separate category for each type of mission discussion?

I think that something like "betatest center" (not only for missions, but addons also) could be useful.

I think that something like "betatest center" (not only for missions, but addons also) could be useful.

There is beta testing at http://www.ofpec.com/

Head over there and have a look.

I asked about this a long time ago and got a general "P*ss O*f We run it how we like it" and then again when the community voted to have the mission editing back where it used to be.. to no luck also.

Although i totaly agree that the section should be split as you have suggested it will never happen.

Indeed i also wish we had the mission editing forum back in the ArmA area, makes sense to me. We still get threads in here asking questions about scripting and editing and such..

*sigh*

Well, so far we can conclude that THERE IS a community demand for a change in the user missions forum's structure. However, we didn't get any comments from the decision makers.

I really hope that we won't get the kind of comment that Matt Rochelle mentioned, but on this stage, any comment from the moderators will be welcomed.

I think discussion forums are quite a bad way to distribute missions to begin with. Something akin to FDFmod mission repository would be a lot better, with all kinds of meta data to sort them by such as mission type, min/max amount of players, user rating, creator, date submitted, island, mod or addons used etc.

Discussions could still be on BIS forums, all missions would have a link to their respective forum thread unless the creator would wish to not have comments. If you'd like everyone to submit their missions to such database, I guess there should only be one with BIS' blessing to be the official mission depot.

I totaly agree with Pulverizer. The reason I suggest this is the lack of such websites. I do know about two ArmA missions websites (Armaholic and ofpec) but they lack the proper sorting functions and users rarely comment missions posted there (though ofpec has some nice reviewing method). Here we would be notified about each new mission, once it is posted, which is also a plus that those websites doesnt have.

Maybe BIS will create such a website or promote  user's initiative to build one?

Yeah i guess.. but i like the user missions forum because for noob map makers like me, you can get tips, bug reports and praise/death threats for your map wink_o.gif

But if BIS were to create an official map depository which people would use then i'd be all up for it, i like Armaholic, but theres not as many members there to *just* release it on Armaholic (especially if you need feedback)