Sign in to follow this  
MeNeZ

Birds & stuff

Hi,

There is already some life apart from humans in ArmA and seagulls and stuff lol but I really think it would be cool (For realism tounge2.gif) if a script could maybe be introduced to include startled birds flying away from a loud explosion or nearby people, sorry for the swear word but…like in BF2.

I thought that was great the first time I saw it, would be cool if it could be introduced here.

Imagine you hear a distant sniper shot shattering the silence and don’t know where it came from, but just as you hear it you see a flock of birds take off from the vicinity of the shot…Same goes for travelling through open spaces, if you are a sniper looking for targets and suddenly you see a flock take off, you would then look in that direction…

Wot you fink?

This actually is a 'feature' that has been mentioned by BIS before ArmA release. They did not really promise it would be in but they did talk about a scenario where this could happen and would be really cool. So we kind of expected this to be ingame in the first place.

It would be way nice if human controlled seagulls were vulnerable. That way making an Open Season mission would be possible.

sounds good to me

so much things that could make ArmA a lot better game, hopefully we see some of it in future patches whistle.gif

It would be way nice if human controlled seagulls were vulnerable. That way making an Open Season mission would be possible.

LoL!

Do I smell a new mod? - Hitchcock mod biggrin_o.gif

Except, the birds should be able to "bomb" aswell! Go for the eyes!

Um, back on subject...Thats cool, I hope they do bring it in future. I really think it would add a new dynamic.

I remember reading an article from an army sniper in Iraq who currently has the most confirmed kills. One of them was from a flock of birds quickly taking flight.

When he looked down, he saw an insurgent walking half crouched along a wall with an AK. Im sure you can guess what happened next...

I remember reading an article from an army sniper in Iraq who currently has the most confirmed kills. One of them was from a flock of birds quickly taking flight [...]

Birds have been tipping off enemy positions since ancient

times. Roman historian Livy writes of the Gaulish attack on

Rome in 390 BCE:

"So silent had their movements been that not only were

they unnoticed by the sentinels, but they did not even wake

the dogs, an animal peculiarly sensitive to nocturnal sounds.

But they did not escape the notice of the geese...[who made

such a bloody row that they alerted the Roman guards who

then proceeded to give Asterix and his pals a right old Roman

shoeing...]"

I do recall seeing a promise that that sort of feature would

be included - maybe in "Game 2" (if that ever comes out)?

You know the best engine would be the cross between CryEngine 2 and VR... If I was BIS (good thing or bad thing?) I would invest in the new engine and mix it with theirs... probably easier said then done, but still... Hence why im looking forward to see how modable cysis really is.

Startled flock of birds don't seem such a hard thing to do.

You already have birds with all their animations.

You only need to reduce its size and change the texture if you don't want the included birds (why not after all?), add a group of them in a spot randomly and add a trigger for the flying animation and the sound.

I am not sure if you can script them to hear, but it seems possible.

Lol just saw this on whats officially going to be in ArmA...

-Interactive Wildlife will be on the islands as well, making the world look even more realistic. Wildlife will react on gunfire etc.

LINK

We will not see that for a long time.. i can just see it.  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wildlife (animals having their own lifecycle, imagine seeing 4 birds getting scared in a bush 100 metres away from you - what scared them?) - Confirmed!

Yeah I know, I was just thinking the same thing.

But bloody good idea! I bet if there was wildlife half the time peeps would have try very hard to contain themselves NOT to shoot cows and other random animals in the area on the way to battle... biggrin_o.gif

A real test of how many noobs you have on your side...to see an animal and not to shoot it giving your whole squads pos away.

I remember reading an article from an army sniper in Iraq who currently has the most confirmed kills. One of them was from a flock of birds quickly taking flight [...]

Birds have been tipping off enemy positions since ancient

times. Roman historian Livy writes of the Gaulish attack on

Rome in 390 BCE:

"So silent had their movements been that not only were

they unnoticed by the sentinels, but they did not even wake

the dogs, an animal peculiarly sensitive to nocturnal sounds.

But they did not escape the notice of the geese...[who made

such a bloody row that they alerted the Roman guards who

then proceeded to give Asterix and his pals a right old Roman

shoeing...]"

I do recall seeing a promise that that sort of feature would

be included - maybe in "Game 2" (if that ever comes out)?

I know what the author is talking about. My sister had a gaggle on her farm. Sheesh those birds were rude. Made a hell of a noise and ran after you biting with their evil little beaks. pistols.gif

Can you use the model of the seagull as a regular unit?

Place it on the editor, script, trigger, animate, etc?

Can you use the model of the seagull as a regular unit?

Place it on the editor, script, trigger, animate, etc?

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Some combination of a bird model, triggers, detecting whether unit in the trigger is prone or standing and running, createUnit birds from the nearest bush..