Sign in to follow this  
DeltaOmega553

Helicopter Flight Model

(Please note, I found no "search" function in these forums so I was unable to try and locate any existing thread regarding this issue. If there is an existing thread, please point me to it so I may post there, thank you)

I have a very simple question to all. How do you turn a helicopter in the game traveling at speeds in excess of 50 mph? When I bank left or right it does not turn so I am forced to treat the chopper as a fixed-wing aircraft by banking at steep angles and pulling up. Unfortunately, this tactic bleeds of tremendous speed and altitude so it is ineffective.

Will the helicopter flight models be fixed in a future patch? They are essentially inoperable to me until they are addressed.

Anybody else know what I am talking about?

My first advice to you is to fix your controls:

-Delete that "turn left / turn right" crap

-Bind "rudder left / rudder right" to A and D respectively, and leave thrust on W and S

-Bind "roll left / roll right" to mouse left and mouse right, and leave pitch on mouse forward and mouse backward

This is how a real helicopter flies, and yes at high speeds they do bank and pull up like fixed-wing aircraft.

I'm no helicopter expert, but from my experiences with a gas-powered remote control one, ArmA seems pretty close to how it works.

-Bind "rudder left / rudder right" to A and D respectively, and leave thrust on W and S

-Bind "roll left / roll right" to mouse left and mouse right, and leave pitch on mouse forward and mouse backward

This is how a real helicopter flies, and yes at high speeds they do bank and pull up like fixed-wing aircraft.

I'm no helicopter expert, but from my experiences with a gas-powered remote control one, ArmA seems pretty close to how it works.

Have you played Operation Flashpoint? Do you not notice the huge difference in the helicopter flight models between ArmA and OFP? Just curious.

And thank you ofpforum for pointing out the search function (if not too bluntly). icon_rolleyes.gif

Have you played Operation Flashpoint? Do you not notice the huge difference in the helicopter flight models between ArmA and OFP? Just curious.

What are you saying? OFP's flight model was realistic? You thinks OpFlash's is better?

What are you saying? OFP's flight model was realistic? You thinks OpFlash's is better?

I don't think OFP's flight model was more realistic, but at least I was able to turn left and right while flying forward at high speeds. I can't do that at all in ArmA.

The best flight model I have EVERY experienced was the Cobra in Battlefield 2. Now that was some good stuff.

And thank you ofpforum for pointing out the search function (if not too bluntly). icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, I did notice the difference. That's what we call "improvement."

And I'm just telling you from experience, you kind of just destroyed any voice you had on this matter when you brought up BF2 as far as ArmA fans are concerned. wink_o.gif

I have a very simple question to all. How do you turn a helicopter in the game traveling at speeds in excess of 50 mph? When I bank left or right it does not turn so I am forced to treat the chopper as a fixed-wing aircraft by banking at steep angles and pulling up. Unfortunately, this tactic bleeds of tremendous speed and altitude so it is ineffective.

How hard exactly are you pulling? If you bank to round 60 degrees ish and gently tab back key or gently pull on mouse/stick to pull up you shouldn't have to lose any airspeed. Turning will obviously take a while.. as should be pretty realistic.

ArmA is lightyears ahead of ofp's flight model - at least if you had the auto-altitude thingy.

How hard exactly are you pulling? If you bank to round 60 degrees ish and gently tab back key or gently pull on mouse/stick to pull up you shouldn't have to lose any airspeed. Turning will obviously take a while.. as should be pretty realistic.

ArmA is lightyears ahead of ofp's flight model - at least if you had the auto-altitude thingy.

Thanks for the idea! I'll give that a shot. smile_o.gif