Sign in to follow this  
wamingo

Custom Sounds using ArmA's stock sounds.

I read that joining servers takes longer with custom sounds (and faces) and maybe it can create lag on servers that are already heavily loaded. And many servers restrict their use because of it.

Therefor my question: Is using the sounds shipped with arma possible through Custom Radio Sounds without needing to copy them?

I imagine not.

So, while in fear of being wrong, I suggest/request the feature to link custom sounds to stock sounds in arma.

Although the group radio is good, you can only transmit within the group (except for the leader+1man can call for Support, but it's too limited). Of course no one wants the sidechat spammed by "unknown man at 12oc" and such but some things could be useful.

There are actually a big pile of good sounds in ArmA that you may only hear in the singleplayer missions. Although most of them do not sound like "radio" transmissions and more like yells and talk, I think most/all of them are acceptable for use over side-channel.

There are like 10 different variations of aprox 50 different messages like:

"Contact!", "Tanks!", "Move it!", "Convering fire!", "Medic!", and so on.

It would not be hard to create limits through a serverflag or two so it shouldn't necessarily annoy anyone.

Like:

Sounds_# = (0-10)

Spam_timer = 30 seconds

And maybe limit the sounds to the ones in the voice.paa or so, so people won't use random ambient sounds or something.

Alternatively a more sophisticated system like a character dependent set like attached to face or something, but basicly my point is BIS could bring these very useful messages to multiplayer in some fashion not required through mission editing.

discuss.

I added some custom sounds but not a face since one of the stock faces allready looks like me :-)

I didn't know about the custom sounds causing lag issues though. I don't use them that much, so now you got me wondering if I should remove them?

I'd love to get more messages in MP, played thru radio, Like "contact", "clear", "open fire" etc. these sounds could be linked to direct channel, so u only hear em when ur near the person.