Sign in to follow this  
Grodin

Trees & Bushes >:(

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Lowering "sceneComplexity" in arma profile, even down to 0!

2 Pictures tell more than thousand words:

gooduw3.th.jpg

badtt4.th.jpg

ArmA 1.08

WinXP Pro Sp2

Athlon X2 4200+

2048mb 800mhz DDR2

GF 7900 GT 256mb with 162.15 Forceware beta drivers

Most of the time i can run the game with nice 35-45 fps with most settings maxed out, but every time i try to aim someone near a tree or bush, its unplayable, most times under 15 fps, no matter how low i put most settings those bushes and trees cause huge grief...

Same thing with dry sahralite island trees, no luck there either.

Only thing that seems to help me with the issue is putting Shading level from low to very low, wich i cant do as it turns all ground textures that are further than 10 meters to a solid color wich looks very awful!

Something wrong here or should i start looking for way to replace all default bushes and trees with old OFP ones somehow? :/

Id prefer resistances trees over the hilarious ground texture that "very low" shading detail forces me to use :S

Looking at very beautiful models these soldiers tanks etc have with no problems, then turn around and zoom in to see umm... normal looking tree or bush, wich for some magical reason eats my FPS down by half really causes some alt+f4 when players camp under those on purpose as they know i cant aim at them sad_o.gif

set render frames ahead to 0 in nvidia control panel, this helps the lag when scoped.

set render frames ahead to 0 in nvidia control panel, this helps the lag when scoped.

Id like to try this, but new versions of nvidia panel dont allow changing to classic view and i cant find the option in the new panel.

Is there a config file somewhere, maybe i could enter it manually there?

Id like to try this, but new versions of nvidia panel dont allow changing to classic view and i cant find the option in the new panel.

Is there a config file somewhere, maybe i could enter it manually there?

There is a program called Rivatuner which will allow you to set it. You can get it here.

You may find other useful features with this program too.

I have got the same thing on my ATI card (sapphire x1900xt) and only solution which i know is turn off shadows.

I changed "PreRender : 3" to 0, still no help sad_o.gif

goodbd8.th.jpg

badwr9.th.jpg

I have got the same thing on my ATI card (sapphire x1900xt) and only solution which i know is turn off shadows.

My shadows are already off, not much help here either!

Any way to replace the tree and bush models with something thats 10 times less resource hungry?

Try these things:

1:Install the 160.03 nVidia drivers

2:Turn Anistropic Filtering to "Very High"

3:Turn Antialiasing to "Disabled"

4:Turn object detail to "Normal" or "Low"

Hope it helps,good luck smile_o.gif

Try to setting lower Shaders (it also should help) and terrain details.

Try to setting lower Shaders (it also should help) and terrain details.

As i said, putting shader level to "very low" basically removes ground textures so have fun playing it that way :S

Besides, any option under "Normal" is not an option, bullet decals wont show.

Terrain details have no effect on trees and bushes.. and its already on lowest anyway, would be just waste of FPS for invisible eye-candy if i turned it up, just like in OFP smile_o.gif

Ingame setting wont do anything good to this issue.

As mentioned somewhere else, having a separate slider for the tree shaders and other shaders would fix this.

Indeed!

Guess theres no way to do this till bis fixes it sad_o.gif

Try these things:

1:Install the 160.03 nVidia drivers

2:Turn Anistropic Filtering to "Very High"

3:Turn Antialiasing to "Disabled"

4:Turn object detail to "Normal" or "Low"

Hope it helps,good luck smile_o.gif

1:Downgrade driver? My new driver gives me same FPS as all previous ones sad_o.gif

2: Lowers FPS even more!

3: No effect on FPS, tho makes everything seem like in the 90's biggrin_o.gif

4: No FPS gain here either sad_o.gif

No matter how i play with the ingame settings, bushes and trees do 10-20 fps, everything else is mostly 40-75

Found a fix! THANK GOD!

In arma profile lowering "sceneComplexity" down to 0 will make all the bushes look like in original OFP if not even simplier, HUUUUGE FPS Boost! smile_o.gif _some_ graphical anomalities occour, but well, atleast its possible to be competitive in mp now.

If you set "sceneComplexity" on 0 then objects' LOD is on the lowest level and your game will look bad.

It's quite normal and there are different threads here on the forum and a bug report on the bugtracker about it. Setting "Prerender" (or "Flip Queue Size " for ATI) to 0 doesn't help with the fps, but with the input lag when in low fps. You can also try if enabling/disabling Vsync helps you with aiming.

To get more fps you can only try to lower your settings for general more performance and I think shading and texture details to lessen the drop with foliage. Lowering/disabling AA, AF and especially enabled transparence AA in the driversettings might also help.

There was also an explaination about what caused this from a developer somewhere. Something with the many vertices that don't get removed and are always drawn instead of being culled when blocked by another object and not in direct sight. That happens because of the transparency in the textures and your pc is just overloaded with data.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but make sure your shading is set to low. This speeds up play around foliage.

Try crawling into a bush and moving your view around. First on normal and then on low shading. Should see a noticeable difference.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but make sure your shading is set to low. This speeds up play around foliage.

Try crawling into a bush and moving your view around. First on normal and then on low shading. Should see a noticeable difference.

Yes, but as he already said, several times, the ground textures go to crap when you put "Shading Detail" to a level where bushes no longer cause lag on zoom. We just need to be able to set the shading detail for Foliage and everything else separately.

There was also an explaination about what caused this from a developer somewhere. Something with the many vertices that don't get removed and are always drawn instead of being culled when blocked by another object and not in direct sight. That happens because of the transparency in the textures and your pc is just overloaded with data.

I am trying to find that explaining post to learn more about the problem (i am very curious, because there are many other games with huge amount of foliage and transparent textures, which doesn't have this problem - FarCry for example is one of them, i can run it on everything ultra high with FPS which i cannot achieve in ArmA even on ultra low details smile_o.gif ), but i can't find the post :-(

Quote[/b] ]We just need to be able to set the shading detail for Foliage and everything else separately.

My thinking may be limited but how do you want to implement such ?

Shader is applied globally and to my knowledge there is no way to exclude special objects from global shader settings as it´s applied to every rendered object. What you´re asking for is not doable or would look very strange in the rendered scene as the objects that are excluded from regular shader settings would not blend with the environment rendered with different shader.

If I understand it right, first the DX scene is rendered and shaders are applied to the scene as a whole afterwards. If you exclude objects from shaders (not even doable with other 3d engines) the result would look very botched.

Quote[/b] ]We just need to be able to set the shading detail for Foliage and everything else separately.

Shader is applied globally and to my knowledge there is no way to exclude special objects from global shader settings as it´s applied to every rendered object. What you´re asking for is not doable or would look very strange in the rendered scene as the objects that are excluded from regular shader settings would not blend with the environment rendered with different shader.

If I understand it right, first the DX scene is rendered and shaders are applied to the scene as a whole afterwards. If you exclude objects from shaders (not even doable with other 3d engines) the result would look very botched.

I think this question should be better left to answer by developers themselves, anything other is only worthless speculation.

I´m only talking about how other 3D engines I know and work with call the render sequence and following some kind of logic it would be very illogical if Arma engine would act different.

I´m only talking about how other 3D engines I know and work with call the render sequence and following some kind of logic it would be very illogical if Arma engine would act different.

And me, i don't see the problem why it couldn't be done.

So, until we know how certain engine works, all we are saying and thinking is really worthless.

I don't see the point in saying that this and that can or cannot be done, until we KNOW it.

Let the devs answer this question, because devs KNOW what they did and how, and they KNOW how much trable it would be to do what we want.

My exact point is:

I see this approach especialy contraproductive in conjunction with negative statements (that it cannot be done), because its killing the discussion without a REAL reason, because that statement is mere assumption - yet some people take it as the only truth, and leave with it.

Yes, I was wondering about this and in another thread I made on this subject I speculated the possibility that Shader effects might be like AA in that it applies it globally to the scene, but the general consensus from other posters was that it could be applied to individual objects.

I'm curious to know if its global or can be applied separately.

Is there just no way to replace the damn bushes and trees with something else? Would be just perfect if someone knew how to make sahrani use ofp:res trees and bushes instead. Everything would be so much better!

And please stop telling me about shading level, thats not a damn option.I shouldnt have to live with worse ground textures than doom 1 has just because i want to remove these bushes and trees!

Having the shading level normal or low doesnt make a damn difference, it must be at very low make it playable. If fps goes from 75 to anything under 50 just because the bush is too complicated for todays computers is completely unacceptable, and really hurts the experience!