Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Meet the Bear

_43020651_robot_image203x295.jpg

Quote[/b] ]The Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot (BEAR) can scoop up even the heaviest of casualties and transport them over long distances over rough terrain.

New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.

It is expected to be ready for testing within five years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm

the model looks pretty neat. i hope there will be a working prototype soon. love to see how this thing works

Interesting concept. I thought the balance has always been a problem for standing robots. I remember Denoir's cool robot that fell flat on its face quite alot biggrin_o.gif

I'm not convinced the teddy-bear head will work as advertised though.

I'd probably laugh if I was conscious and it'd hurt even more huh.gif

I'd probably laugh if I was conscious and it'd hurt even more huh.gif

Hahahaha LMAO, indeed. That head looks too silly. rofl.gif I wonder if it will work though. smile_o.gif

what if the robot loses balance?

then the soldier is fucked

I bet those things make excellent and expensive target practice. biggrin_o.gif

If they want comfort, they should make it the face of a REALLY attractive woman. wink_o.gif

Abs

Quote[/b] ]If they want comfort, they should make it the face of a REALLY attractive woman.

lol yeh i agree there or an instant loli-pop dispencer thatll confort the soldier to no end.

but in a battle situation the enemy will either be too busy laughing or shooting them.

Ummm.. why not have the robots do the battling in the first place huh.gif

Probably because robots are expensive and unlike combat medics who carry guns there seems to be a hope that robots' lives will be spared because they wouldn't be armed, just carry wounded away from the battlefield... Adding wounded casualties to the enemy is preferable because it eats up resources, or so I've read somewhere... of course there's always the theory of not letting an enemy live so he can't come back with a vengeance but in those situations it'll be too late anyway to send in the med robots... So if you produced battle robots they'd turn into junk real quick, vs this kind of robot which is supposed to survive battle... or so the story goes, I guess...

BUZZARD @ June 08 2007,11:33)]which is supposed to survive battle... or so the story goes, I guess...

hehe ... yeah... right. tounge2.gif

I would take out the robots anyway. Like you said, they're expensive, so it would eat up their resources. I wouldn't care if it was armed or not.

Abs

Looking forward to the pleasure model.

they should have a better army (i mean, they should offer lessons about the geopolitics, the cultures in the world at their soldiers), instead of spent their time and money on stupid project.

confused_o.gif

Looking forward to the pleasure model.

That is the pleasure model.

I never understood the conceptof humanoid robots. They seem so impractical to me, with legs like that. A self-powered rolling stretcher would be much more useful.

A wounded soldier might not be able to get onto a stretcher.

Abs

A wounded soldier might not be able to get onto a stretcher.

Abs

If you see it like that, then I have my own reserves on this robot. What tells us that the robot will be able to pick up the wounded 100% of the time and isn't there a risk for the condition of the soldier under certain circumstances ? The thing could fall over the wounded, seriously damage already damaged body parts (such as bones, veins and so on through more or less rough handling). The position depicted here could incur severe pain it ever you've got a broken tibia, not forgetting the risks of worsening spinal injuries that's already quite important with a basic stretcher.

The diagnosis could also be pretty random as the only link between you and a medic is a cam and a mic.

It'd just slide its arms under the soldier...kind of like a forklift. As for it tumbling down, well, that's what the testing is for, yea? It's not like they'll release something that works only 25% of the time.

Abs

Yep a stretcher with treads and scoop would make a lot more sense than a humanoid type hero that carries injured away like a groom with his new spouse on a honeymoon. It looks like it's designed to bring them back in as much agony as possible..if alive at all.

Yep a stretcher with treads and scoop would make a lot more sense than a humanoid type hero that carries injured away like a groom with his new spouse on a honeymoon. It looks like it's designed to bring them back in as much agony as possible..if alive at all.

Especially since the enemy would have an easy time trying to make a couple of more damage hits without killing the soldier, perhaps...

Actually, a mole stretcher vehicle with a scoop would be the best, since it would carry the wounded away with perfect concealment... I'd pity the soldier that would suffer from claustrophobia, but then again, I don't know if such a psychosis is tolerated in soldiers... oh well... whistle.gif

I'd assume a better Idea would be to have a large armoured,tracked, Box like contraption that uses arms to move the person into its armored shell.

A mecha-casket! Outstanding idea! rofl.gif

And if the guy dies on the way back just program it to bury him on the spot. yay.gif

I'd assume a better Idea would be to have a large armoured,tracked, Box like contraption that uses arms to move the person into its armored shell.

In development, actually. I saw it on futureweapons. Its a small unmanned APC-like vehicle probably the size of a powerwheels jeep that carrier injured personnell away.