Sign in to follow this  
ColonelSandersLite

Unit Replacement Pack Tutorial

Many of you are familiar with my unit replacement packs. If you're not, click the link in my sig, then scroll down to addons and look at one or more of them to find out what this is about.

So here's the question:

I have thought about writing a step by step walkthrough on how to easilly make your own unit replacement pack. I need to know if there's interest before hand though. If there's not, I don't want to waste my time on it.

So let me know.

Comments are welcome. wink_o.gif

Well I voted yes because sooner or later the mod tools will be released and there will be too many addons for you to keep on top of. biggrin_o.gif

So yeah a tutorial would be much appreciated, plus I've always meant to learn some config work.

I'm not sure how much work is involved in creating a unit replacement config, but I think it is an excellent idea. I don't like being forced to download someone else's favourite addons, just to be able to play one mission. It's not a problem yet, but it will be.

I guess my ideal system would be that all missions are made with the default BI units or some universal generic system (similar to how JAM treated mags), then each user has a unit replacement config that replaces the generic units with their personal favourite. Ideally this config could be easily edited (a couple of lines of text?). I guess possible problems could be caused with MP cheating, and units that have scripted "features" such as ski goggles etc.

Keep the "heavy" addons with scripts to open doors and put on helmets etc for Mods only.

Assuming a fairly basic addon, it's easy to do once you know how really. Doesn't even take very long. Usually takes me longer to do the testing and modify my boiler plate readme for the new pack than it does to make the units themselves.

Some addons would end up getting tough to do though, once the tools come out. The majority wouldn't be, but some would be.

For example:

All m1s are likely going to be mostly the same, with the biggest difference being the model, and extra scripting can just be ignored in 90% of cases.

However, in some cases, you may end up with say an m113 that has the door stuck open unless you know what you're doing.

My biggest hope is that addon makers would start friggin including such packs with their units if I wrote this little guide.

Tut would come in handy really. Even if you know the basics of (Opf) config editing, it can't hurt to learn new tricks (of ArmA editing). smile_o.gif

YES PLEASE!

sorry but i had to shout this!

For the most part i know what to do, but when i end up doing it Im too paranoid and picky to make any changes to the config... I end up doing more damage than anything else... I always end up frustrated and give up... I must have 7 or more units i retextured and only tested by overwriting BIS units but never released them because of knowing how to do it correctly

Yes, that tut would be helpful. thumbs-up.gif

Especially as infantry units are the most often released addons, and we get the option to change the game in a way that i like to have implemented at least in Game 2.

So we can change, for example Blufor to France, or Great Britian or whatever, as long the needed addons are available. inlove.gif