Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

welcome.gif  Welcome everyone!

I'm creating this topic for the much anticipated Advanced Combat Environment from the creators of Wargames League from the old Operation Flashpoint. Advanced Combat Environment (ACE) should redefine combat in ArmA, much like the Wargames Leauge (WGL) MOD did in Operation Flashpoint. Here is what is written on Dslyecxi's website decribing this MOD - Thank's to Dslyecxi for this copy of his text from his website, I wouldn't have known about it without your help Dslyecxi:

Advanced Combat Environment (ACE) is a mod in progress for Armed Assault that is being done by the core crew that was responsible for the excellent Wargames League (WGL) mod for Operation Flashpoint (OFP). This will undoubtably become the primary mod that Shack Tactical uses in the future - the level of enjoyable realism present in WGL was second-to-none and redefined how we played, and ACE appears set to take this even further.

There are many exciting teamwork- and gameplay-enhancing features planned for ACE, and as I said above, I highly encourage all ArmA players to check it out upon release and follow the development of it. It should be the mod-of-choice for any groups interested in increasing their realism, teamwork, and gameplay at the same time.

Here is what Phaeden, one of the core ACE developers, has to say about the mod:

ACE is a full conversion modification for Armed Assault. The overarching philosophy of ACE is to provide its users with a combat simulation that is both realistic and enjoyable. Our primary mission is to create a wide variety of real world weapons, vehicles, equipment, and tactics so that those playing the ACE mod will be able to better simulate combined arms combat on a modern battlefield. ACE is designed from the bottom up with the goal of encouraging its users to employ real world tactics and strategy (fighting as a team) in order to accomplish realistic military objectives. We strive to create hyper-realism without losing sight that the mod must be playable by the “advanced†user. Our focus is not only on creating coding and scripting which highlights realism but on creating realistic missions on which one may experience the full spectrum of virtual combat.

For the record, this guide is very much oriented towards the WGL/ACE style of gameplay. ShackTac's evolution has been heavily influenced by WGL, and we would not be where we are now - and this guide would not have been written - if not for what WGL gave us in OFP. I expect even better from ACE in ArmA.

There is no ETA on the first release of ACE for ArmA...

The ACE site is not public yet...

Anyone else have anything they're wondering about, about ACE? I'm full of questions and high-energy anticipation myself!

Sounds interesting. I enjoyed using the WGL mod for OFP, and the thought of a version for ArmA with similar aspects and features excites me. Keep us updated.

After playing WGL for OFP, I couldn't help but think "What would this be like on ArmA."

I have tons of questions about ACE. What will the wounding effects be like? Will there really be dragging of units? What else do you plan to add that hasn't been mentioned anywhere else?

Hopefully an ACE Developer sees this thread and can answer our questions.

My question to the ACE devs would be if they intend to make operating tanks and armor in general realistic/sim like?

Greetings,

I am one of the lead developers for ACE.

While we don't have a release date set yet, we are planning on releasing in the next few months.

We plan on taking everything that worked well in WGL and enhancing it for ArmA. We also plan on adding a lot more depth and content to ACE.

Specific questions about how and when will be adressed in updates to this thread.

In real life, I am a teacher and we are almost done with the school year. What this means to you is that I don't have a ton of free time when I can work on ACE at the moment. However, school is out in 3 more weeks and then I am more or less on vacation for 3 months. It is during this time that you can expect a lot of updates and the first release of ACE.

Thanks for your interest.

Semper Fi

Good to hear from you again, Phaeden.

Some of my most memorable OFP gaming moments were in your presence on your server, testing WGL in its early stages. If ACE will be anything like wgl was then (And how could it not be better??) then the 'hardcore' realism fanatics will surely be in for a treat.

Good luck with the project thumbs-up.gif

mmmm, i ahve been waiting for this forum to come along. ACE has to be one of the most promising mods to date, even if it is only implementing WGL to Arma

so you are going to lock yourself in your man cave for 3 months?

aint you have a family? wow_o.gif

Here is Phaeden's original post from the old forum, so that those of you who had questions there, will now have answers at our new forum here.

Best,

Exsosus

Phaeden wrote:

"Greetings,

I am one of the core ACE developers. It is Environment [not Element].

ACE, in short, is a complete conversion for ArmA which will bring with it a much more complete and in-depth package to bring ArmA much closer to a simulation (as opposed to a game). That being said, we also understand that the average use is playing ArmA/ACE to enjoy a tactical first person shooter which emphasizes real world vehicles, weapons, and tactics. We know the average ArmA user is not interested in setting the timing on 0.50 Cal M2 machine gun. However, we also understand the value of having a game/simulation which really places the focus on infantry tactics, combined arms, and realistic weapons and vehicle characteristics.

You can expect to see a complex mess of realism and gameplay. It will NOT be for everyone. I don't even think it will be for the majority of ArmA players (based on the response WGL got in OFP). It requires people to think and act tactically and in an effective team. Rambos need not apply.

I will most more specific information in the coming weeks (as I am almost on vacation).

Semper Fi"

Greetings,

I am one of the lead developers for ACE.

While we don't have a release date set yet, we are planning on releasing in the next few months.

We plan on taking everything that worked well in WGL and enhancing it for ArmA. We also plan on adding a lot more depth and content to ACE.

Specific questions about how and when will be adressed in updates to this thread.

In real life, I am a teacher and we are almost done with the school year. What this means to you is that I don't have a ton of free time when I can work on ACE at the moment. However, school is out in 3 more weeks and then I am more or less on vacation for 3 months. It is during this time that you can expect a lot of updates and the first release of ACE.

Thanks for your interest.

Semper Fi

Phaeden,

I am so happy you're making this.

Dslyecxi, a man who runs a tactical combat clan that played WGL and is looking forward to ArmA's ACE, introduced me to it through his website. There has never been anything I've wanted more in ArmA or the older Operation Flash Point than to experience this. New to the online gaming world, I've only played earlier games in single player. But now I have something look forward to! Thanks!!

I am just moving this from the old topic:

Quote[/b] ]Well WGL was and still is a great Mod.

Look forward to getting a chance to play Arma using the ACE mod.

Are there any plans to have a league using this mod, like WGL did? WGL had some of the best C&H maps, and the league had some of the best squads. 1-8th Marines still likes to hang out and play with the WGL league guys. They are always welcome on our Server. Heck Strango, made some great WGL coop maps as well.

Right now the plan is to release ACE in stages (instead of waiting until we have a ton of things ready). We will release the first stage as soon as we can. It will contain all the baseline information (which most of you won't even notice, but it will include things like the stamina system which will eventually play a larger roll in how individuals move) and many things you will notice, such as a realistic selection of men and weapons.

I loved WGL for ofp. It was the best mod I ever tried.

Can't wait to see what you do in ArmA

Did not ever play OFP. So may I ask does it have an after action review section that would enable to cycle through statistics and performance of each soldier? A text output would be enough. Like single player ending, but containing the statistics of each soldier for both sides.

Did not ever play OFP. So may I ask does it have an after action review section that would enable to cycle through statistics and performance of each soldier? A text output would be enough. Like single player ending, but containing the statistics of each soldier for both sides.

Yes. That would be excellent! Will this be done?

Does ACE have any website to get more information or maybe participate?

after action review section

We didn't have anything like this in WGL but I think it is an absolutely great idea. We are looking into ways to "carry over" stats from one mission to the next (like in SP Campaign), and this might be something we could use in that way.

We do have a fancy website up yet, just a small one for the development stuff. We will post about the "real" website as soon as it is up (our staff is pretty small and we just don't have the man power to get everything up and running at once).

Since game obviously stores this data and it can seen live by troopMon for example it should be doable.

EDIT: sounds like one of those must have mods

Since game obviously stores this data and it can seen live by troopMon for example it should be doable.

EDIT: sounds like one of those must have mods

Let me just emphasize that which Törni just wrote: This sounds like one of those must have MOD's!

Agreed x1000.

Thank you.

thumbs-up.gif

Again, ACE will not be for everyone. It will require a different mindset than those that want to simply run and kill kill kill with little or no thought of tactics or teamwork.

If you are 1 on 3 in ACE, the odds are really REALLY stacked against you. In default ArmA, 1-3 odds are not that bad at all. Rambo wouldn't last too long in ACE.

Rambo would last long at anything! I just saw first blood part one again the other night - its actually a really good movie.

Again, ACE will not be for everyone.  It will require a different mindset than those that want to simply run and kill kill kill with little or no thought of tactics or teamwork.  

If you are 1 on 3 in ACE, the odds are really REALLY stacked against you.  In default ArmA, 1-3 odds are not that bad at all.  Rambo wouldn't last too long in ACE.

Given that I clear off work tasks, and some real life obligations, I could lay concealed for two hours to get "the shot."

But that's just me...actually I'd probably have more fun watching the soldier laying concealed for two hours and then make a vid about it. I'm a combat "visuals" junkie I guess

Great to hear you fellas are working on this! Looking forward to seeing it.

icon_rolleyes.gif   pistols.gif

I was a WGL Crack Addict so I can't wait for ACE. Loved the way you guys tweaked all vehicles as close to real life as possible... not that," Well lets Balance the Equipment" BS Approach. If it's even close to what WGL offered then I will be hooked once again. firefoxlover.gif