Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

This thread got kinda quiet.

I'd like to hear an update, and I think I am not the only one.

I absulotely can't wait for this mod. It will make arma what it is supposed to be. Keep up the great work notworthy.gif

QFE. I could stand to see some updates here as well. I've only recently looked into ArmA and picked it up. I love it and I can't imagine what ACE will bring to it smile_o.gif

Any tasty treats for the weekend would be pretty good in my opinion smile_o.gif

You're not going to see much huge improvement in one week. Let's stop spamming this thread and wait until they have something they wish to share. When they are consuming their time making news posts and deciding what information to spread, they aren't working on their mod. Let's not demand too much of their time wanting a blog from each developer about every vertex and function they produce. I'm sure their website has more information.

You're not going to see much huge improvement in one week. Let's stop spamming this thread and wait until they have something they wish to share. When they are consuming their time making news posts and deciding what information to spread, they aren't working on their mod. Let's not demand too much of their time wanting a blog from each developer about every vertex and function they produce. I'm sure their website has more information.

Care to point me towards that ACE website? Last I heard, it wasn't up yet.

Care to point me towards that ACE website? Last I heard, it wasn't up yet.

Hmm.. I thought that there were some forums with WIPs linked in here somewhere around those vehicles.

Quote[/b] ]Care to point me towards that ACE website? Last I heard, it wasn't up yet.

I should finish it up today or tomorrow.

Quote[/b] ]You're not going to see much huge improvement in one week. Let's stop spamming this thread and wait until they have something they wish to share. When they are consuming their time making news posts and deciding what information to spread, they aren't working on their mod. Let's not demand too much of their time wanting a blog from each developer about every vertex and function they produce. I'm sure their website has more information.

Amen

Any news about the mod?

Or no! Now you're in for it too :P How dare you ask for info like I did!

Nah, just kidding around smile_o.gif I was kind of curious too but I personally haven't been really able to look into this or keep up with it since the passed 2 weeks have been busy with classes starting back up.

Anywho...back to the grind...

Quote[/b] ]Or no! Now you're in for it too :P How dare you ask for info like I did!

Ok summer and holidays are almost over. Guess that ACE will be delayed. Won't ask it again.  sad_o.gif

I think this mod is dead, hope I'm wrong though..

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I recently go back from vacation (3 weeks in Germany) and it's pretty much official that Phaeden had stepped down as USMC Commanding Officer and ACE developer. I spoke with him on Saturday and I will receive the rest of the ACE MOD files. R/L has taken priority and he just doesn't have the time anymore which is understandable.

As for the future of ACE I'm still debating on what to do, as many of you know some of the community is a little irritated with BIS and I'm one of them as well. I can't say I really want to continue the project if ArmA 2 will be released in a year and we won't be able to port over the MOD. (TBD) banghead.gif

I just don't see spending the couple of months developing ACE like WGL just so that it will be obsolete in 6 months when ARMA 2 is released. To me it's a waste of time and energy for the rest of the team.

I will say that maybe we will release some individual add-ons instead.

I really have to apologize to everyone and am truly sorry it has come down to this,I know everyone was really looking forward to this MOD and I really enjoyed working on it.

Please post your thoughts...

Sig USMC

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I recently go back from vacation (3 weeks in Germany) and it's pretty much official that Phaeden had stepped down as USMC Commanding Officer and ACE developer. I spoke with him on Saturday and I will receive the rest of the ACE MOD files. R/L has taken priority and he just doesn't have the time anymore which is understandable.

As for the future of ACE I'm still debating on what to do, as many of you know some of the community is a little irritated with BIS and I'm one of them as well. I can't say I really want to continue the project if ArmA 2 will be released in a year and we won't be able to port over the MOD. (TBD) banghead.gif

I just don't see spending the couple of months developing ACE like WGL just so that it will be obsolete in 6 months when ARMA 2 is released. To me it's a waste of time and energy for the rest of the team.

I will say that maybe we will release some individual add-ons instead.

I really have to apologize to everyone and am truly sorry it has come down to this,I know everyone was really looking forward to this MOD and I really enjoyed working on it.

Please post your thoughts...

Sig USMC

I think u can get some information from BIS the basic difference beetween ArmA and ArmA 2 so u can rigth now continue to work towards ArmA 2 and skip the release any stuff to ArmA?

I think you should work on it now... it's not that "waste of energy":

Quote[/b] ]Good news for all the creative people around is that it will be very easy to port any custom work from ARMA to ARMA 2...

If the "preliminary work" in ArmA is very good you should have less todo in ArmA2. Don't think that BIS are developing all things brand-new! wink_o.gif

theres no need to worry , it seems that porting from arma - arma2

is minimal and so far there is only one change affecting scripting and that is

Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2 will be largely compatible with Armed Assault. To make porting of content from ArmA as simple as possible, there are few important things:

* using of undefined variable in scripts (nil value) will be in ArmA 2 strictly reported as an error. All variables used in any scripts must be initialized before first use

I think you have a fine opportunity here to use arma as a testbed (like bis ), think of arma2 as the real ofp sequal and here you have a kind of pre release tool for viewing your work smile_o.gif.

the glass is definately half full.

Prior to talking with Dslyecxi today I would have shut down ACE and waited for ArmA II to start the mod back up, but apperently BIS will support the porting over of mods which was my only gripe.

With that being said Pheaden has agreed to forward me the most recent files of ACE and we will continue on with the project. Currently give us a few days to get everything together and contact some individuals about continuing working on ACE.

Thanks everyone for the support especially ShackTac.

Good stuff! biggrin_o.gif

I've been eagerly awaiting this mod ever since I heard of it, I hope the loss of Phaedan doesn't impact your teams work too much.

Best of luck!

I can't say I really want to continue the project if ArmA 2 will be released in a year..

I just don't see spending the couple of months developing ACE like WGL just so that it will be obsolete in 6 months when ARMA 2 is released. To me it's a waste of time and energy for the rest of the team...

It's great to hear you guys will continue this Mod. I was bummed when you said it was on hold until ArmA 2.

Either way, I wanted bring this up.... Even if it was the case that there would be no compatibility between ArmA and ArmA 2(which as you now know is not the case, so says BIS) in my opinion your work most likely would not be abandoned in a few months. Although, BIS and many other sources keep saying ArmA 2 will be released in 2008, we all should be very skeptical. Who knows, anything could happen between now and then. If their development history is any indication, we could be waiting years to actually see ArmA 2.

Anyway, it's great to hear you've decided to continue. Now, my only question is whether ACE will be usable for SP, or is it strictly MP. I searched this entire thread last night but I didn't see anything regarding SP. Although, I easily could've missed it. MY eyes got mighty blurring about half way through all the posts biggrin_o.gif

maybe it's time to start develop projects as open source (credits give to contributors as they contribue of course)

this way,

if someone leave or returns into project ... it don't matter

there may be different branches of development tree which merge into one 'final' tree as key developers decide together

anyone may contribue (e.g. solve some headache development 'stopping' rebus)

i know this sounds weird and some of mod teams fear 'stealing' of theirs hard work

but same may happen with final or test releases or internal leak etc.

yet from other side some of teams may cooperate easier this way

i think for major scale projects OSS approach may solve lot of headaches

anyway this is just little suggestion

ACE can offer what arma's realism gaming needs the most at the moment, integration of the several realism addons into a common framework.

Even with fine stuff like NWD ballistics and gmjames Sight adjustments there are still large enough gaps in gameplay, that need to be closed.

I'm really glad you go on with your work. ACE's the mod i'm looking most forward to. Go on Lads, you're going to do some great improvements.

Quote[/b] ]With that being said Pheaden has agreed to forward me the most recent files of ACE and we will continue on with the project. Currently give us a few days to get everything together and contact some individuals about continuing working on ACE.

I'm very glad to hear that. I only play OFP in WGL now, and this is my most awaited mod. Wishing you the best of luck!

Quote[/b] ]With that being said Pheaden has agreed to forward me the most recent files of ACE and we will continue on with the project. Currently give us a few days to get everything together and contact some individuals about continuing working on ACE.

I'm very glad to hear that. I only play OFP in WGL now, and this is my most awaited mod. Wishing you the best of luck!

We are many in this case. Big ups to you guys, all the best smile_o.gif

maybe it's time to start develop projects as open source (credits give to contributors as they contribue of course)

this way,

if someone leave or returns into project ... it don't matter

there may be different branches of development tree which merge into one 'final' tree as key developers decide together

anyone may contribue (e.g. solve some headache development 'stopping' rebus)

i know this sounds weird and some of mod teams fear 'stealing' of theirs hard work

but same may happen with final or test releases or internal leak etc.

yet from other side some of teams may cooperate easier this way

i think for major scale projects OSS approach may solve lot of headaches

anyway this is just little suggestion

The problem with open source projects is not work stealing, as you can designate one or all parts as under any license you wish- and getting the community to respect that would be no different than it is currently. The problem with open source projects is creative control and contributional dividends. I'm sure many of us are aware of the the state of Evolution 'versions'. Many people take that mission, and regardless of the license, create new versions. None of those new versions can be said to be inside the scope of that project, and the author is not gaining anything from it. Basically, he's just feeding the community, not the other way around. If the ACE team wish to benefit other projects (read: pander to), they should whore out their code and/or other assets. If they wish to have the community benefit their project, that might be a way, but in the same way that Darwinian mutation benefits a species- at random, with no guarantee of success.