Sign in to follow this  
HXC

ArmA 'lone wolf' mission are highly unrealistic

I wonder if I am the only one that finds Armed Assault's lone wolf missions very unrealistic. In the campaign I am stuck thanks to these mssions. I coould choose between blowing up a bridge and between blowing up a Ural convoy. Lets look at each mission and the gear you get:

Blowing up a bridge

You start with a few satchel charges

A gun with no ammo  goodnight.gif

I mean come on; every soldier would refuse such a mission. Considering you have only a few minutes to place these charses you  would at least nead a spec ops team considering of a spotter a sniper anti-tank etc. Enough ammo to supply a small army, a clearly marked extraction point, a plan B when blowing the bridge fails etc tec. The truth is most modern armies higly value the lives of their soldiers and place their safety first. Sending 1 soldier on such a mission would be suicide.

Destroy Ural convoy

You are supossed to detroy the ural convoy wiht 1 satchel charge  rofl.gif and a few anti tank rocket all alone. Again, in the real world this at least takes a specs op team of a sniper an a spotter and a few other special forces operatives. Or to deploy lots of satchel charges with a time limit when the spotter signals in the convoy. Staying within a range of a few 100 meters in army clothes is plain suicide. Besides which backward army doesn't notice the sachel charges lying in the middle of the road? They miss these but can kill you easily when lying in a hideout afer these charges blow whistle.gif .

Am I the only  one who finds these mission very flawed and unrealistic? How can we help Bohemia  to improve them?

I wonder if I am the only one that finds Armed Assault's lone wolf missions very unrealistic. In the campaign I am stuck thanks to these mssions. I coould choose between blowing up a bridge and between blowing up a Ural convoy. Lets look at each mission and the gear you get:

Blowing up a bridge

I mean come on; every soldier would refuse such a mission. Considering you have only a few minutes to place these charses you  would at least nead a spec ops team considering of a spotter a sniper anti-tank etc. Enough ammo to supply a small army, a clearly marked extraction point, a plan B when blowing the bridge fails etc tec. The truth is most modern armies higly value the lives of their soldiers and place their safety first. Sending 1 soldier on such a mission would be suicide.

Destroy Ural convoy

You are supossed to detroy the ural convoy wiht 1 satchel charge  rofl.gif and a few anti tank rocket all alone. Again, in the real world this at least takes a specs op team of a sniper an a spotter and a few other special forces operatives. Or to deploy lots of satchel charges with a time limit when the spotter signals in the convoy. Staying within a range of a few 100 meters in army clothes is plain suicide. Besides which backward army doesn't notice the sachel charges lying in the middle of the road? They miss these but can kill you easily when lying in a hideout afer these charges blow whistle.gif .

Am I the only  one who finds these mission very flawed and unrealistic? How can we help Bohemia  to improve them?

Destroy Ural convoy:

remember they said there is someone helping us in the town?

go to church and you'll find enough weapons that can destory all truck in 3 sec..

Blowing up a bridge

Destroy Ural convoy

Destroy Ural convoy:

remember they said there is someone helping us in the town?

go to church and you'll find enough weapons that can destory all truck in 3 sec..

Thanks for the tip smile_o.gif. Sill I feel no soldier would even consider takingen up two bmp's and 2 dozen armed soldiers all alone...

Blowing up a bridge

Destroy Ural convoy

Long quote, but it helps newcomers to the forum, right?

----

In the first mission you mentioned where the player takes out the bridge, you begin with a gun with no ammo. This I recall. This something the programmers missed before releasing the game. Remember thought, the most probable reason they missed it: Anyone who plays this mission, actually many missions in the campaign, get to choose their own gear. This is what I chose for this mission: An M136 rocket launcher with 3 rockets, an M16 with 4 slots of magazines (that's what I remember). Now also know this: This mission has a re-arming crate near the buildings to the right of the bridge (right of it, from your starting position).

If I were to play this mission again... I would choose: an M136 rocket launcher with 1 ammo, 3 satchel charges, and the rest M16 ammo. Then go reload your rockets and anything else you'd like, heck even switch weapons, at the re-arming crate.

Cheers!

-----

For the second mission with the convoy, the earlier players have already answered this for you. (I didn't know the answer the first time I played it either, and I failed the mission...ran for my life). rofl.gif

-Exso

In the first mission you mentioned where the player takes out the bridge, you begin with a gun with no ammo. This I recall. This something the programmers missed before releasing the game. Remember thought, the most probable reason they missed it: Anyone who plays this mission, actually many missions in the campaign, get to choose their own gear. This is what I chose for this mission: An M136 rocket launcher with 3 rockets, an M16 with 4 slots of magazines (that's what I remember). Now also know this: This mission has a re-arming crate near the buildings to the right of the bridge (right of it, from your starting position).

If I were to play this mission again... I would choose: an M136 rocket launcher with 1 ammo, 3 satchel charges, and the rest M16 ammo. Then go reload your rockets and anything else you'd like, heck even switch weapons, at the re-arming crate.

Cheers!

-----

I just tried the mission again (1.5 patch) but I couldn't find a way to choose my gear sad_o.gif

At first, you have an empty gun and 5 satchel charges. You need the charges to blow up the bridge anyway, so put those down quickly and then you can sprint to the ammo crate to rearm. THere are a few weapons there and ammo, too. I didn't feel this particular mission so unrealistic. Wait till you do more...

At first, you have an empty gun and 5 satchel charges. You need the charges to blow up the bridge anyway, so put those down quickly and then you can sprint to the ammo crate to rearm. THere are a few weapons there and ammo, too. I didn't feel this particular mission so unrealistic. Wait till you do more...

Not unrealistic??? What soldier would start on a solo mission to take up a convoy without ammunition banghead.gif. What kind of commander would allow such a mission?

Don't you agree that is weird to start the mission without ammunition, but there are enough supplies lying on the streets rofl.gif. This totally screws the immersiveness and makes it just another military themed fps.

Not unrealistic??? What soldier would start on a solo mission to take up a convoy without ammunition banghead.gif. What kind of commander would allow such a mission?

.... John Rambo :P

It's highly unrealistic indeed. But sadly no real surprise considering how the game has been released in such a generaly sloppy, half finished condition. banghead.gif

.... John Rambo :P

LOL! rofl.gif

Well, my point was that you wait till you see the rest of the campaign. I'm willing to bet you won't find this particular mission that much unrealistic if you see the rest.

With the AI as of now, I think in many cases having a group in SP missions is more of a hindrance than any help. If the AI gets better, this will change, but I didn't mind that it was a solo mission.

And come on, where did you find any immersion in the official campaign to begin with? I sure didn't.

These solo missions are rediculous, honestly that was the main reason I didn't like early fps games like the original medal of honor I thought it was highly unrealistic to have soldiers go on mission by themselves I mean just about every fps game (including Arma) never gave me a reason as to why I am doing these things alone. In conclusion most of theses solo missions would be alot more realistic if it was a small 3-6 spec ops team.

Good to hear I am not the only one. Time to fill in a bug report to address this flaw.

well, in the mission were you're suposed to blow up the bridge... you're not alone ( had i been, i'd place the charges, and blow the bridge asap!, not let half a ton of troops and several tanks get over it first, thats suicidal......) remember, you're being driven to your bridge, and even get the command to when to blow it up....

well, in the mission were you're suposed to blow up the bridge... you're not alone ( had i been, i'd place the charges, and blow the bridge asap!, not let half a ton of troops and several tanks get over it first,    thats suicidal......)  remember,  you're being driven to your bridge, and even get the command to when to blow it up....

They still wouldn't send you alone they would still send 2-3 guys with you as a team. P.s. some guy talking on the radio with you does not count he's not with you

They certainly market ArmA as a realistic military simulator mad_o.gif

Atari Ships 'ArmA: Combat Operations'â„¢

- New Realistic Military Combat Game Available Now -

Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR), one of the world's most recognized brands and a third-party video game publisher, today announces that the realistic combat simulation, ArmA: Combat Operationsâ„¢ has now shipped to stores nationwide and is also available for purchase on Atari.com/us. Developed by Bohemia Interactive, ArmA: Combat Operations is available for the Windows platform for the suggested retail price of $39.95. The game is currently available in Europe under the name ArmA: Armed Assault.

"ArmA: Combat Operations is an engaging and realistic PC combat title," said Jeremiah Cohn, Product Manager, Atari, Inc. "Atari is thrilled to publish and distribute, both online and in stores, Bohemia Interactive's next game since Operation Flashpointâ„¢."

ArmA: Combat Operations offers the ultimate realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting. With unique freedom of movement, actions and tactics, the game takes immersive strategic battles to a whole new level.

myself I really like the lone wolf missions! I dont have to worry about my AI teammates getting stuck or doing stupid things. Unrealistic or not - they are pure fun! (as long as the game does not crash...)

This is a longstanding balance attempt between realism and gameplay.

If the US Military wanted a convoy taken out on an island devoid of civilians, they could do it in a matter of seconds without placing a boot on the ground.

But there would be no fun in that. The mission would be over in less time than it took to load the mission.

I don't mind 15-30 minute missions either, but I agree that it is very cheap and unrealistic to put UberSoldier up against an armada of objectives and AI.

This is a longstanding balance attempt between realism and gameplay.

If the US Military wanted a convoy taken out on an island devoid of civilians, they could do it in a matter of seconds without placing a boot on the ground.

But there would be no fun in that. The mission would be over in less time than it took to load the mission.

I don't mind 15-30 minute missions either, but I agree that it is very cheap and unrealistic to put UberSoldier up against an armada of objectives and AI.

UberSoldier? rofl.gif It's more like Rambo 0,5 smile_o.gif (Can't wait till Rambo IV enters the cinema notworthy.gif)