Sign in to follow this  
pukey123

Convoy Attack; can't fly chopper

I'm have a devil of a time with chopper controls. Every time I get close to the target I can't control the speed, height, etc., and crash. I can't figure out how to slow or hover the chopper at a decent altitude and then fix on the target. My speed increases when I don't want to; my altitude drops when I don't want to, etc. I would very much appreciate advice on how best to operate the chopper about which I seem to be totally ignorant. I'm playing "Regular", USA version and have a copy of "aircraft controls". There's nothing covering "hover", forward speed, etc. Thanks in advance. pukey

Are you using a keyboard and mouse or are you trying to fly with a joystick?

If your using a keyboard. as long as you dont do any really hard breaking or accelerating, your altitude should never change, so you really dont even need to try and manage your altitude that much... just for changing terrain hieghts.

Using a joystick is likely to be a little more complicated, as you actually have to manage your throttle unlike before, but that really shouldnt be too difficult.

if your having serious problems there is a training mission that you could use to familiraize yourself with flying the cobra more, or you could just open up the editor and try flying it around aimlessly for a bit.

oh and the if you want to enable an auto hover, scroll with your mouse and hit your use key when it comes up

My best advice is to open up the editor and put yourself in a littlebird flying. Then practice. After that you can change to AH1 and practice some more.

And fly with joystick! So much more feeling and fun smile_o.gif

Are you using a keyboard and mouse or are you trying to fly with a joystick?

If your using a keyboard. as long as you dont do any really hard breaking or accelerating, your altitude should never change, so you really dont even need to try and manage your altitude that much... just for changing terrain hieghts.

Using a joystick is likely to be a little more complicated, as you actually have to manage your throttle unlike before, but that really shouldnt be too difficult.

if your having serious problems there is a training mission that you could use to familiraize yourself with flying the cobra more, or you could just open up the editor and try flying it around aimlessly for a bit.

oh and the if you want to enable an auto hover, scroll with your mouse and hit your use key when it comes up

Thanks Maverick806: I use the keyboard. Both you and Andersson mentioned "opening the editor". I'm not familiar with "editor" and would appreciate your guidance. I'll certainly take the training mission. Thank you very much for your interest in my behalf. pukey

My best advice is to open up the editor and put yourself in a littlebird flying. Then practice. After that you can change to AH1 and practice some more.

And fly with joystick! So much more feeling and fun smile_o.gif

Thank you very much Andersson, regarding the "editor" You will probably see my reply to Maverick806 because he too brought up the "editor". I use the keyboard and currently do not have a joystick, mainly because I stick to Marine and infantry games. I appreciate your help. pukey

To Maverick806 and Andersson: I just found the "editor" in the menu for the game; and after looking at it I haven't any idea how to use it in connection with a chopper. Didn't see anything referring to the chopper. I'm just plain ignorant in this area. Is this the "editor" where one can create his own missions? pukey

Yes that's the editor.

In the editor double click on the map and place the unit you want to play, then click preview.