Sign in to follow this  
nate77

Bad FPS Around Trees And Bushes

Well i've tried a combination of many settings, but no matter what I do I get terrible fps when zooming in on a lot of bushes and trees. I have a 7800 GS OC (490/1425) 256 MB card and I usually get around 25-40 fps with resolution at 1024x768 and mostly normal settings, a few things on high/very high, and texture on low(LOD problem if any higher).

I'm playing the demo currently and I find that it can be hard to aim because of the terrible framerate when there are a lot of trees and bushes on the screen. It's the worst in the coop mission when zooming in from the hill trying to pick off soldiers and my framerate is down to 14-19 fps. It's still playable, but things get a lot tougher. I've tried almost every combination of settings possible, but nothing seems to work except for puting textures to very low, but thats just ugly. The thing that worries me the most though is that the northern part of the island will be unplayable when I get the full game, because of all the the extra vegitation that I read about. So i'm wondering how much of a differnce is there framerate wise between the north and south, including forests?

Set Shaders to low or very low.

And plaintiff is right, try to use the search function in future.

Hmmm.. better try the search function.

We've already discussed this topic at length... 50+ pages I believe.

lol sorry I'll remember that for the future. Anyways I relaized my graphics card was overheating and therefore slowing down, so I fixed that and it's running much smoother but using the scope on weapons around many trees still drops my fps a bit. Hopefully 1.07 will fix it.

apparently the new patch fixes this (1.06/1.07)

Where did you hear that? I really hope you're right!

For me setting Anti Aliasing to Low helps in bushes.

Found an awsome driver from tweaksrus.com the XTREME-G 158.22 XP 32BIT. This driver is the best for ArmA, overall fps seems down according to FRAPS, but the game runs way smoother. I can now zoom in on forests and huge tree/bush patches and still aim properly. I'm actually shocked. It's weird though when I zoom in FRAPS says my fps is like 12 at some spots with lots of vegitation, but I can still aim really good. That kind of fps with my other driver would have made it impossible to aim. It's the same story in forests too. Some of you guys should really give these drivers a try. smile_o.gif

@nate77

I tried those drivers and had serious lockups after 1-2 hrs playing time in evolution. It would freeze then continue then freeze, hiccup and stay frozen until I rebooted my system. There are few posts on guru where other people experience the same problem as me but in other games.

Have you tried the 158.19? there is a profile with ArmA in it too. Their not bad, but still not great.

disable Vsync, and u have no lag when scoped to a bush or tree.

and lower shading detail.

disable Vsync, and u have no lag when scoped to a bush or tree.

and lower shading detail.

this isn't true.

i've got vsync turned off, and my framerate is really low around bushes. Its fine elsewhere.

i can actually zoom on the sky and lower the scope slowly and the framerate drops as it comes into shot

i do hope its true that 1.07 fixes it.

check it out for urself, its in bugtracker, and yes im too lazy to go and find it myself...

btw: I use it and get no lag with 7600gt

btw2: I might be completely wrong about wich tweak it was, but

it's on bugtracker, something about bad fps around trees or something.