Sign in to follow this  
dirtylarrygb

Crysis Nukes

Yes it's on the way and promises to be a 2 week distraction from ARMA.

Note this is a sales video for the Games Community to buy the engine. IU placed it in the ARMA general as this gives us some idea of what teh ARMA engine might miss in DX9 over DX10.

Also I think I can see the 8800 FOG bug in some shots?

You will note much of the stuff shown here already works in ARMA.

BUT

The nuke looks fun, so come on modders lets build an ARMA nuke or Air Fuel Bomb first....

Latest crysis tech video

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages....6168351

Lets hope that BIS thinks of this technology as a godsend.

The engine for that game is forsale. I think the community should push for something here. OFP2.

Think about it. 16,000m view-distance (Standard)...Which is rendered in realtime, the 16,000 is not a backdrop of anysort. Plus the engine supports maps OVER 400,000sq Km.

The engine supports chopper/jets/armor/boat/submarine/swimming controls... Essentially everything we need! Just imagine OFP2 looking better than Crysis... I know its hard to think BIS could do that, but with the same technology Crysis had, BIS would then have it and could make it their own. wink_o.gif + The Crytek team is nothing like EA in terms of how many people made this. Crytek is a smaller company just like BIS, and have shown that there is true potential here.

Personally it isn't about the graphics ether. That video shows so much more stuff than just "graphics", it shows towards how much attention and detail can really be put into a game.

cgi_vs_reality_jungle_glade.jpg

grassy_road_cgi_vs_life.jpg

tropical_river_photo_vs_ingame.jpg

The pictures on the right are in-game real-time. smile_o.gif Compared to the real-life reference material -- Now I know I said it wasn't about the gfx or whatever.. but this just shows its potential.. BIS doesn't have to make everything as 'real' as it can graphically in my opinion...(They could have used OFP GFX if they wanted) they can take all the core gameplay elements from the engine and have a field-day!

Think about it. 16,000km view-distance (Standard)...

16,000 kilometres view distance is literally the same as

standing in New York and being able to see Sydney, Australia.

Is it a typo for 16,000 metres?

I hope BIS uses Cryengine2 also, or they make a whole new engine that will blow crtek's out of the water! The possibilities are endless... Although I have heard some pretty crappy limitations of Cryengine2...

One of the nicest features in Crysis is the ability to destroy any object, you can literally cut down trees in a forest with a machine gun, and then chop those fallen bits into smaller ones.

And the game physics... in one word, fantastic.

BIS develops and use own engine ...

i see no point to buy CryEngine2 for huge $

remember there is Game2 project ...

maybe around summer You get chance to beta Crysis ...

Correct me if Im wrong, but surely the crytek engine is for an FPS and would need extensive modifications to make it do the same stuff as ArmA/OFP? Then wouldnt BIS be better off modifying their current stuff to look better as opposed to making an engine they have no experience with do what they want?

That and a crytek-driven island the size of Arma's = Huge mofo of an install....

Another very impressive techdemo that doesn't really show anything. What I'd like to know is how does this all run with dozens of ai squads with their own waypoint goals, 20+ square km streamed play field, large towns, and the works, in multiplayer with dozens of players?

Remember Doom3? 4 player maximum or something...

Is this game out yet? If it isn't, PULEEZ! Remember when Soldner was going to be amazing and destroy all other games. Don't believe it until you are playing it on your own computer.

--Ben

that is a truly beautiful video, the physics is nye on unbelievable, especially the nuke but the tank running through the shed aswell is something to behold, however there is one big reason i hope bis does not use such an engine to power something like game2 and that is the fact that a game that looks that brilliant but with arma's huge islands and massive play areas and the shear number of players in mp would mean the computer i would need to play it would cost more than my car, and i cant drive a PC to work.

Crysis supports 32 player MP. Its one of those games that comes with levels, not a whole 400 square km island.

Special effects and physics look nice but i choose the Arma's engine large scale over candy anyday, i bet those physics will impose heavy restrictions in MP.

Comparing the crytec2 engine with Arma's is like comparing the previous crytek engine with the OPF engine.. They are diferent games that shouldnt be compared, diferent goals leading to diferent technology, gameplay, features, etc.

I dont even know if i will buy Crysis, i bought and played Far Cry for a week and gave it away biggrin_o.gif.

I dont even know if i will buy Crysis, i bought and played Far Cry for a week and gave it away biggrin_o.gif.

That's correct. Farcry had some pretty nice things and ideas, but that was that.

Crysis most likely don't offer same thing as ArmA, as far cy didn't offer same things that OFP... So crysis might nuke... On it's own ground and among it's own kind (while ArmA is standing firmly on it's own tall mountain).

Crytek has 151 employees. BIS has, what, 20-40? Even if they had the Crysis engine, they could never produce the art assets for it with a small fraction of the manpower.

Enjoy ArmA for what it is, and look forward to Game2 for what it will be. By the same token, enjoy Crysis for what it is. Getting your hopes up or expecting BIS to suddenly go with Crytek and abandon everything they've done with the Real Virtuality engines is completely unrealistic wishful thinking.

Let me play the devils advocate... Perhaps Codemasters is going to license the Crysis engine for their Operation Flashpoint 2 smile_o.gif Ok I shut up now smile_o.gif

Another very impressive techdemo that doesn't really show anything. What I'd like to know is how does this all run with dozens of ai squads with their own waypoint goals, 20+ square km streamed play field, large towns, and the works, in multiplayer with dozens of players?

Remember Doom3? 4 player maximum or something...

Yes you have to remeber you viewing "corridor" gameplay NOT Sandbox like ARMA.

IF the ARMA editor allowed me to add foilage and grass etc, I feel I could generate some nice real photo/ARMA photo shots as well.

Both engines are amzing and do different things.

View distance, erm Far Cry can turn fog off and have a huge distance! The terrain mapping, volumetric clouds and character technology and physics are amazing. Notice Dice are also going physics made with the new Battlefield.

ARMA is a 400sq Sandbox, Crysis is a next gen Corridor outdoor and indoor game. The new crytek engine would suit a GRAW game more than ARMA.

Let me play the devils advocate... Perhaps Codemasters is going to license the Crysis engine for their Operation Flashpoint 2 smile_o.gif Ok I shut up now smile_o.gif

And you would have a "rails" style Graw game.

It's important to undertstand that Crysis is not a sandbox like ARMA joint Op's GTA etc.

I would also note parts of the ARMA world are very highly detailed and produce screen grabs almost as good as Crysis. IF we could add more vegatation then ARMA could almost rival some screengrabs. And that's imprressive as no other game could right now.

That's correct. Farcry had some pretty nice things and ideas, but that was that.

Crysis most likely don't offer same thing as ArmA, as far cy didn't offer same things that OFP... So crysis might nuke... On it's own ground and among it's own kind (while ArmA is standing firmly on it's own tall mountain).

I want want nukes in ARMA though or at least a hercules that can drop a fuel air bomb.

Air Cav COOP clear the AA then fly in a herc and drop a Fuel Air Bomb on ortega and not spend 45 mins hunting the one wounded guy crawling in the vineyard.

That has got to be simply the best playing enviroment yet seen.

The sky and clouds are amazing, as is the forest.. well simply everything.

All what needs to be seen is if it can handle large amounts of units, well it's possibly more like can your computer handle them he smile_o.gif

Only thing I saw that was wrong with it is that when the jeeps tyres get shot, they blow to pieces and go down to the rims causing sparks, instead of what should happen of the tyres go all rusty first then the entire bodyshell should also go all rusty too :P

No, really, it looks absolutly brilliant.

just click on the "watch" rather than download section on the sidebar. Should open a new window.

It does look amazing, i'll tell ya that. i cant tell whether it will be 'corridor' or 'sandbox' like ArmA tho... as it has an editor.. and it has a large view distance... but it might not still be too big...

If that sorta detail was in ArmA, it would be 100% unplayable for most :P But the ArmA engine is really not optimised IMO... i want to see how well Crysis runs on my PC and then maybe i'll be able to answer people who say 'arma is really open ended, massive view distance etc etc' as Crysis will rival that...

And yes, i know BIS have a tiny proportion of the manpower and budget, but it does show the possibilities that there are in terms of making games. Wow.