Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Mando Missile ArmA

You set different characteristics for pilot/gunner/commander. For exaple, in the case of an attack chopper, the gunner might have the control of all the weapons and the pilot might have control of the RWR and countermeasures only.

General speaking, the gunner might not need overlay as long as he doesnt have a tracking device, else he will work with locked target and the overlay will show locked target info (range, altitude) and the map will show a vector aiming towards the locked target so he may tell the pilot where to turn to align the target with the missiles. Anyway there is an option to do not show overlay at all. The map is not only showing current target vector and unit position, it acts also like an RWR and draws red vectors for incomming missiles.

. Sadly the video recording "killed" most the drop effects, but basically what you see is two short flamming trails to the sides of main missile trajectory and two light smoke trails, so now smoke doesnt obscure the missile, making the manual guidance easier.

very cool Mandoble.

ArmA Sub vs Surface Fleet - Higher Res and FileFront file

Couple things I noticed / comment;

- I was using your Lab mission for testing ... VERY cool

- 87 deg launch is OK but 90 deg didn't work ! when horizontal

- Couldn't work out how to effectively lengthen the range of the missile, tried the various numbers. What is the true "life" parameters?

- Can we have a height self-destruct please .... otherwise vertically launched missiles that don't lock can be in the air a long time.

- Be nice if the target scan was considered (near) horizontal for vertically launched missiles. Would reduce the need for a larger vertical Scan number.

- One visual trick that may look better; Create the missile at world 0,0,0, set its orientation (ie vertical) then setpos it to the launchers position so that it isn't seen twisting in the air (like in my video)

Great work, can't wait for the next release !

Nice implementation Gnat wink_o.gif

- In the new version max launch vertical angle is 89 (or -89). If you set an initial vertical angle out of these limits, the script calculates a new angle so that the missile is fired already heading the target. Note that launcher inclination is added to the launching vertical angle, if initial angle + launcher inclination > 89, angle is set to 89, if initial angle > 89 then angle is automatically calculated to aim directly to the target.

- The maximum range is a function of max speed and endurance. But there are two other factors to consider, the initial acceleration (your missile might take several seconds to reach max speed) and the fact that in new version engineless missiles are still guided, at least while their speed is above 600 km/h. So, if the missile is fast enough, it might guide and catch the target even well after its "fuel" was depleted. So simplify things, you may calculate a general range with endurance * max speed. But some objects used as missiles have a maximum life time set automatically by ArmA based on their config. For example, most standard ArmA missiles have a life of 15~20 seconds. The GBU bomb has a life time of 2 minutes or more.

- The exhaust smoke script (which is custom and is executed in parallel) receives the missile as parameter. You might check there any factor (as altitude) to detonate or even erase the missile. The exahust script ends when the missile is destroyed, deleted or when its engine stops (this is done setting the damage of the missile to 0.05) which is done automatically by mando_missile.sqf when endurance time elapses.

- Out of scan is considered only when working in active mode. So, lets say your missile has a seeker range of 2000m and a flight range of 24Km. Set the missile initial launch mode to 0, with trajectory updates from the launcher every 5 seconds or so. The missile might be launched vertically and it will be guided to a position about 1800m of the predicted placement of the target, then the missile will switch to active mode (this is when acquisition seeker arcs are considered, only for active mode).

- In the new version the missiles are placed on their launch position already in their launch orientation and inclination.

EDIT:

Note that as long as the object used as missile is water-resistant, you may also launch missiles below water, as well as torpedoes.

Also the custom warhead script for a missile may spawn a new missile as the

spawning guided torpedoes.

Thanks Mandoble .... all looks good so far

Playing some more, captured a shot of a torp heading for its target ... just before impact.

Suba_4.jpg

Good question Gnat wink_o.gif, 2.2 final is ready, while it will see the light as 2.3 to avoid confusion with previous 2.2 betas. Now I need to fight my current laziness to make it public tounge2.gif

Now I need to fight my current laziness to make it public  tounge2.gif

Fight!! Fight hard! (and while you're at it I'll break out a beer biggrin_o.gif )

Hi, i know this is a little off topic, but mando, you seem the be the missile man around these parts, so i have a question to ask.

Would it be possible to incorporate your missile scriptage skills into scripting a realistic javelin performance? And also to make it into a pbo addon for fools like me?

The Javelin arched flying trajectory is already implemented and you can see it in mando_remote (the M113 firing javelins). But of course you might change all the flight and performance parameters at will.

About addons and pbos, no idea. IMO it would just limit the freedom you have using it as scripts.

Mando Missile ArmA v2.3 is about to see the light.

Before its release, I'm setting up an online help page. If any of you find some concepts there unclear, abiguous or erroneous, please, tell me. Actually the help page is being updated almost daily and you should consider its current info as a "work in progress".

<span style='color:blue'>Mando Missile ArmA v2.3 online help</span>

Hey Mandoble! Glad to hear from you again. Waiting for the 2.3 like everyone else smile_o.gif.

I've read the 2.3 online help.. very insightful! Default arma missiles are woefully bad (they have wobbly seeking unless you fire them just so), and I'd like to improve matters. As my mission requires no addons, I'm excited about using MM to achieve improved performance since it's addon free...

My goal is a bit of a tall order: to replace all missiles in default arma with mando ones, fired by AI or players, in manual or automatic guidance, with countermeasures available against guided missiles for airborne vehicles. I would love to integrate MM into my mission, but I have a few questions:

Is it possible to have a unit operate as both an AI MM launcher and a player targetted MM launcher at the same time? (I use teamswitch within squads, so the same vehicle must have both capabilities). Can a unit have the ability to drop AI flares *and* player flares? If a player unit has AI flares enabled, will it automatically dump flares when a missile is fired at it?

What I would specifically like to do is enable manual gunnery and AI 'guided' gunnery on humvees, strykers, BRDM's, and BMP-2's. For hellfires, vihkr's, stingers, strelas, and javelins, I think I can get away with using your incoming-missile handler.

Would it be posible for me to write a method for the MM scripts to retain missile firing/ammo restrictions for manually guided missiles (ie the mando script fires on a fired eventhandler), but the player's movement of the optics guides the missile? I'm most interested in using Mando style TOW's with the fainter smoke trail.. that would make TOW's far more useful.

As an aside, I'd also like to ruin the guidance functions for AA launchers when firing at ground vehicles. I think I could do this by replacing missiles fired on ground vehicles with the MM incoming-handler, and giving them crazy or random flight characteristics? (ie, guidance messed up by being close to the ground). How might this work with mando-scripts?

A second aside: the default Arma javelins seem to clip or such when they near a target, or at least miss by only a few meters. Before I realized I could use MM, I wrote a simple eventhandler script that setposses the javelins to the target vehicle's position when they get within 20meters. Do MM javelins similarly fix the default and buggy arma javelin clipping/missing behavior? I'd like to ditch my hack if possible. wink_o.gif

I'd additionally like to use stryker tow's and BRDM's as AA missile launching platforms. When you add AA missiles to those vehicles in vanilla arma, they work with player control but AI refuse to fire. Can I use a combination of MM scripts to get around this? (IE, manual player control as well as AI actually firing missiles at the enemy aircraft)

Thanks in advance!

The_Captain, yes to all your questions. And most of them are already supported by current public MMA 2.2b3.

That's great Mando Missiles 2.3 and documentation (with pics! )!! smile_o.gif

Will you make some little Demomissions (all missiles and chaff/flares) too?

Well replacing and improving all kind of guided missiles in ArmA with yours would be top.

wow mando 'stunning work' "effect" as always ... notworthy.gifyay.gif

NoRailgunner, current MMA 2.2b3 already includes many small (and not so small) demo missions. MMA 2.3 will include all of them (adapted to v2.3) and one or two extra ones.

About missile replacement, well, you can always replace any fired ArmA missile by a Mando one, but, IMO, it is way better to use the full Mando Missile firing systems (visual and MCC) and AI launchers. Why?, just a quite basic reason, because ArmA missile engangements happen always at visual ranges. For example, a real Hellfire has a range of about 8Km (quite short btw), now will a default ArmA Hellfire armed AI chopper engange a tank 8km away? Nope. And a Mando Missile launcher? yes. But, will any existing ArmA AA launcher engange that chopper flying 8km away with SAMs? nop again. Will mando ones engange it? Yes again. With mando missile launchers you have control over many "small" things, like engangement range or required minimum knowledge level of the firing unit about the potential target, rates of fire, detection angles from the launcher vehicle, etc.

WOW notworthy.gif

Just add some manned systems to your ships and you'll have a fully operational and deadly armada wink_o.gif

Time to add cruise missiles to your Tupolevs?

Ok thanks, i will tell some ppl. that they have to learn to use scripts and read/print MMA online help for their combat-wishes. biggrin_o.gif

Requested in a different thread and added to v2.3.

HataKilla, if you can fire deadly cows from a tractor, of course you can drop deadly torps from a chopper tounge2.gif

And another one, this one including a SAM armed PBX.

I know I'm a bit late, Mando Missile ArmA 2.3 will be out next week in two flavours: script suite (as the current 2.2) and addon, you may use any of them or both as they are compatible with each other.

If any of you has a last minute request, this is the time wink_o.gif

Last Request :

Make sure its working right with 1.7 XEH and ECS mod ... and, well ... make it the best quality as always tounge2.gif