Sign in to follow this  
derfalpha

Fence Linking

When i want to make a loing fence consisting of many linked fences, its often a pain in butt because I need to link, preview, check, adjust, check, copy&paste, link, preview, adjust, check.... repeat, repeat....

Is there a quicker way?

Quote[/b] ]Is there a quicker way?

The map icons pretty much tell you where the objects end when not zoomed in too much. This way you can setup two, mark them both strg-C, strg-V and place them next to your old ones just that they line up nice. Select all 4 strg+C , strg-V and so on...

I guess it takes me about 4 minutes to place fences around a little village with that method. It can hardly get faster manually.

hehe, took me few seconds to figure out that Balschoiw's strg-C == Ctrl-C, and strg-V == Ctrl-C.

You could use a script to place them, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. In my experience, BI fence objects have quite awkward dimensions, such as 4.1845m long.

If I want a lot of a fence I just go back to a mission design that used it at the right angle and copy a whole bunch for my new mission.

All you have to do is line up 2 sections by trial and error, then just copy/paste them. To line them up again just select all of the newly pasted objects then drag them by one of the end sections and place that end right on top of the opposite end section of the originals, so that you end up with 2 fence objects right on top of eachother. Now you have a length twice as long that you can use to repeat the copy/paste process with, thus your fence grows exponentially, so it takes very little time. Once you have 1 really long length of fence you just copy from it or copy the whole thing and trim it down. You can also rotate the entire selection of fence objects as a whole when you hold shift and drag the mouse.

Unlike OFP

and up too and including version 1.05, objects placed in the editor follow the terrain

so to reset the fence so it sits vertically up, place the following in the init field of the object

<span style='color:blue'>this setvectorup [0,0,1]</span>

and if you need to adjust the height of the object, eg sink it into the ground

then use the setpos command BEFORE the setvectorup

<span style='color:blue'>this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, X] ; this setvectorup [0,0,1]</span>

Replacing <span style='color:blue'>"X"</span>with a positive number to raise the object off the ground

or

with a negative number to lower the object into the ground

Setpos does not work with static objects in a script (up to and including v1.05)BUG)

however it does work in the init field of the object

This makes creating an automated fenceline script impossible

Setpos does not work with static objects in a script (up to and including v1.05)BUG)

however it does work in the init field of the object

This makes creating an automated fenceline script impossible

Good thing I wasn't aware of that.

Otherwise I couldn't have created those two walls in 1.02...

exrahmadi.jpg

Unlike OFP

Really? So then how did all of those tents and fences end up so nicely fit to the ground... icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's model specific then (In arma)

bug1.jpg