Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

BI Forum Reconnaissance Game

Inspired from other forums. The idea is that you post a picture of military hardware that another member has to identify it. The person who gets it right can post the next picture.

Quote[/b] ]Rules:

- The person who gets the right answer will get to post the next picture.

- If nothing is posted within 5 hours, his turn will automatically go to the next person.

OK let's start, here's an easy one:

image5mm5.jpg

FV107 Scimitar, part of the CVR(T) family? (initially thought of Scorpion, did a tad of research et voilá)

Quite a hard one, and non of the UKF lot may answer biggrin_o.gif

Some kind of training opposing force vehicle based on the CVR-T, either Salamander or Sturgeon.

It cannot be a scorpion due to the barrel, it's way too long and way too fat, and I doubt it's a cover for the barrel of the RARDEN which would be mounted on a scimitar. And it's covered with all kinds of shit.

After somme googling :

<a href="http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb/Preview.fwx?position=9473&archiveType=ImageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=&fileId=82009AFCAB28BB7B4818188E6EE0F5842527F21A9EA60BCB068E1C97D7AA43F0BA877BF55CF600ED1D3DB01BD3

91466305537D71572956BF05537D71572956BF1B1FF6BA91579F50513741741DE1AE2BF7B439EE3BC281C08747

35A195B08958105D648702B39E9B664A3F2AFFA38E006F6E8397A08D6664B7805B293EAE16FB" target="_blank">http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb....EAE16FB</a>

So I guess it's a Sturgeon.

CVR(T) family it us, and yes, its a salamander, and bloody hell ran, yes its kitted out as BATUS OPFOR hence the wider 'barrel'

Ran wins that one, very impressive smile_o.gif

I knew that your armed forces were using CVR-T as sov-block tank ersatz but wasn't sure. I don't think the british landforces use tracked-turretted 120 mortars. All I had to do was to check CVR-T variants and applications in my head that could correspont to what was shown.

A really hard one now, and I mean it (Hellfish might recognise it but I forbid you to post the answer wink_o.gif )

1x13x24og2.jpg

And I can find even harder and obscure too smile_o.gif

Looks like something inspired by an M47 turret and built on some kind of unidentifiable chassis... can't say I've seen that sloping track design on very many tanks.

Looks like something inspired by an M47 turret and built on some kind of unidentifiable chassis... can't say I've seen that sloping track design on very many tanks.

It reminds of the AMX-13 series of light tanks. However, after some research (internet), that tank looks like the AMX-50. So, my guess is the AMX-50.

Indeed, it is an AMX-50, but a second prototype variant that was never serial produced, it is slightly different from the main version, though.

regards,

TB

Indeed, it is an AMX-50, but a second prototype variant that was never serial produced, it is slightly different from the main version, though.

regards,

TB

Didn't know about another variant. So, your answer trumps mine then since it is technically wrong.

None of the AMX 50 prototypes gave way to serial production. The cost of such a program was too mportant for post-war France. It was an ambitious project to equip the french cavalry with a tank rivaling the russian heavies of the time. What's the most striking from the pictures of the AMX50 protoypes is the way the french engineers inspired themselves of the technical solutions adopted by the german and russian tank designers. This was ment to be the EBR's and the AMX13's big brother (which explains the choice of an oscillating turret pattern for this beast too).

I wonder what could be now had those been fielded.

There's an exemple in perfect condition at the Saumur tank museum and it is really impressive. What killed it was the progresses made in matter of penetrating ammunition rendering its armor obsolete and its gun overkill. Instead of pursuing the developpment of this monster, focus was put on the '13 and the next generation tank which at that time was the AMX30. For a while, our cavalry had to settle for american built M47's and light AMX13's (which formed the bulk of our units).

I'd say you both won so it will be to whoever's the fastest in posting another pic.

T34 chasis, but what version of it, god knows - except looking at the turret it looks like some sort of AA weapon.

[edit]

actually after further research, its a type 63 AAA

Heh, well found, I must admit it wasn't the easiest one to recognize. ;]

regards,

TB

hehe, well i searched T34 obviously and then realised that it had to be some sort of AA version, that couple with google images made it a little easier biggrin_o.gif

[edit]

ok, its a bit of a trick question one, and mainly posting it because i can't find anything better icon_rolleyes.gif

again, none of the UKF lot please biggrin_o.gif

PIC

hehe, well i searched T34 obviously and then realised that it had to be some sort of AA version, that couple with google images made it a little easier biggrin_o.gif

[edit]

ok, its a bit of a trick question one, and mainly posting it because i can't find anything better icon_rolleyes.gif

again, none of the UKF lot please biggrin_o.gif

PIC

Mastiff?

bah, too easy then tounge2.gif

Hehe, this one should be a bit harder:

recgamefj2.jpg

RG-33 in EOD version?

Damn that was quick. Next time I will think of something harder. Give me the last designation letter and you will take the turn wink_o.gif

EDIT:

Just saw your edit, the RG-33 is only 6x6 by the way.